• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell Lists

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Crothian said:

Actually they are Class books :rolleyes:

Yes, Crothian, you're quite right - that is their official description. Just like White Wolf calls their equivalents for Hunter Creedbooks.

However, the slang term for them is "splat" books. :)

Trivia Time (nothing more of importance to say)

back in the heyday of 2e, then TSR produced a line of books called the "Complete <Something>'s Handbook", or the "Complete Handbook of <Something>", where something is a generic place holder for (apparently) almost anything. In a crossover from computer jargon, these often got written as the "Complete * Handbook", where '*' is the computer 'wildcard' symbol. The '*' symbol is pronounced "star", or much more commonly "splat".

Thus "splatbook" for any equivalent kind of rules supplement - usually supplements based around obvious (rules-generated/supported) character concepts.

Crothian

First Post
GuardianLurker said:

Yes, Crothian, you're quite right - that is their official description. Just like White Wolf calls their equivalents for Hunter Creedbooks.

However, the slang term for them is "splat" books. :)

I'm fully aware of it. I just think that many people are now using splat books in a neagtive way, least I see that a lot on these boards. So, I'm fighting my own little crusade against the slang. I do the same with Fluff and Crunch. I think that many people just here these words once or twice and start using them to sound better, when in reality they are not sounding better. I think it sounds worse.

MangahunterD

First Post
Hey!

Sorry, just aking a question didn't want to get a debate on slang started, excuse me for mistyping. Thanks for the information on the splash, splat, class... what the hell ever books....:eek:

Remove ads