• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell needs Critique and comments: Sunder Missile

Kyramus

First Post
Let me know what you think. I've gone through 3 drafts and this is what I have so far. A part of me thinks it's too weak, and another part of me thinks it's just right.

So now, I bring it to the boards for you all to see what you think of it.

Sunder Missile

Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: 1 or more objects within 30 feet of initial strike
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fort Half
Spell Resistance: Yes

A missile of magical energy darts forth from the character's fingertip. The missile deals 1d4+1 points of damage. The Damage bypasses hardness of up to 5. Any hardness higher than 5 is counted to be 5 less than itself. (IE: Hardness 6 would be an equivalent Hardness 1 with respect to this spell)

The missile strikes using a ranged touch attack. The attack is designed to damage or destroy inanimate objects or magical items and can affect constructs.

For every two levels of experience past 7th, the character gains an additional missile. The character has two at 9th level, three at 11th level, four at 13th level, and the maximum of five missiles at 15th level or higher. If the character shoots multiple missiles, the
character can have them strike a single object or several objects. The character must designate targets before the character rolls for SR (for items held by creatures with SR) or roll damage.

Sunder Missile deals double damage to constructs. For example, a level 9 wizard has 3 missiles and would normally do 3d4+3, but against constructs it would be 6d4+6.

Sunder Missile affects magic items of +1 value at the onset. level 10=+2. level 13=+3. Level 16= +4. Level 20= +5.

edit: spell adjusted
edit2: adjusted to mention hardness

Last edited:

Kyramus

First Post
it was originally force, but someone mentioned sonic so I put it in there.

I'm more inclined for it to be sonic, but i left it up there for people to debate which route to go.

Geoff Watson

First Post
1d4+1 damage isn't going to hurt most objects. That's not enough to damage wood, metal, or stone at all.

Why the 'only affects magic items up to +x' limitation?

4th level? It's not good enough for 1st level.

Try Shatter instead.

Geoff.

Kyramus

First Post
Read shatter carefully. It states specifically that it doesn't hurt magic items.

The max damage on this spell is 25. Most items even with hardness won't have that much HP unless they have mithral or adamantium in it.

Empowered it could potentially have 37 points.

The reason for the scaled effect is simply that I don't expect a level 7 wizard being able to use this spell to destroy a +5 weapon. A level 20 on the other hand CAN.

The level of the spell is debatable, as is the force or sonic damage.

Any other thoughts? I really want to flesh this spell out and balance it out.

It was either this or create a feat called Sundering Spell, wherein all damage spells affect items first before their opponents.

Geoff Watson

First Post
I thought each missile was separate, like Magic Missile.

If damage from the missiles combine against hardness, it still isn't that great. It's still unlikely to destroy a normal sword unless you have a 15th level caster (or empower or maximise it.) Even then, you have to hit with all missiles and they get a save.
Still only a 1st level spell.

I know Shatter doesn't work on magic items; maybe try a higher level version that does.

Geoff.

Geoff Watson

First Post
You should state outright that you add the missile's damage together to get through hardness; or just have the spell bypass hardness altogether, that might actually make it worth more than a 1st level spell slot.

Geoff.

Remove ads