• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell Points

Thorindale

First Post
I was wondering - what system/sourcebook has a well-conceived spell point system that uses the regular spells/spell-levels form the PHB?

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I'll second the spell-point system in UA. It's easy to use and understand, and you don't have to make all that many changes to easily implement into an ongoing game.

Kane

DarrenGMiller

First Post
I will have to look at that one. I have tried several SP/Manna systems since 1984 and have never found/designed one that worked quite the way I intended.

DM

mac1504

Explorer
Although the spells and their schools have been reorganized, I think Midnight by FFG has a fairly easy and balanced spell point system.

A lot of the earlier confusing text has now been clarified in the second edition book, which is now available for sale.

Mercule

Adventurer
I use the UA system.

I'll have to agree that spell-point systems are not always great. What I discovered, though, is that the flaw isn't necessarily with the system, it's the inherent nature of spell points. Most people who are switching are doing it to get away from the Vancian slot system. In truth, spell points are just quantum spell slots.

Once I made that realization, I found it a lot easier to swallow point systems. Before that, there was just something "off" about point systems. The goal isn't to "fix" everything. It's just to get it to a "good enough" level.

Dirigible

Explorer
Midnight.

However, it's tuned for a less-common magic setting than standard D&D; you'd have to boost the number of pints a character gets, but that would be no problem.

joshwitz

First Post
My Spell Point System

Here's a link to a spell point system I worked out for 3.0. We've been using it for about 3 and a half years now, and it mostly works pretty well. The one unforseen problem I have is that my players try to rest after every encounter to regain their spell points.

Just makes me throw more wandering monsters at 'em.

http://www.ave6.net/dnd/house_rules/spellpoints.txt

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads