• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell Resistance Question

Joust

First Post
So the 10th level drow cleric is finally cornered and a couple of PC's are beatin' him down. As a last resort, he casts Flame Strike (10' radius, 10d6 damage, reflex for half) essentially right on himself, knowing that the PC's will get hit. The cleric's Spell Resistance is 21. So the spell goes off, SR kicks in, and he doesn't take any damage. Of course it's possible that SR may have been overcome and he would have taken damage. So here's my question: is the drow's own spell subject to spell resistance? That's how I ruled, but would like your opinions.

Caliber

Explorer
Hmm. Interesting question. There are rules for voluntarily lowering Spell Resistance, but not of voluntarily giving up your Spell Penetration check.

I would say to check it. Allowing a caster use area spells with no danger to himself can largely become unbalancing if abused (as I have seen done.)

Baalzebul

First Post
See the description of Spell Resistance (SR) on DMG p81.

A creature's SR never interferes with its own spells, items or abilities. So the question of whether you can forfeit your attempt to penetrate your own SR is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Joust

First Post
Yeah, I read that. It says "A creature's spell resistance never interferes with its own spells, items, or abilities." But I interpreted that as meaning at the time of casting or using abilities, not when a spell effect comes back on the caster.

Baalzebul

First Post
Hmm, that is a good point. It does not specifically say that a creature with SR ignores its SR when casting spells or spell-like abilities upon itself. I'm probably reading more into the statement than is really there.

That said, I would not allow a caster to forfeit his caster level check to overcome SR because it opens some big holes. Not only would the caster with SR forfeit such checks when it casts a damaging spell upon itself, but also when casting such spells upon any of its allies who have SR. It would quickly turn any amount of SR into a Spell Immunity that is effective against any spell the caster casts upon itself or allies who have SR.

hong

WotC's bitch
Joust said:
So the 10th level drow cleric is finally cornered and a couple of PC's are beatin' him down. As a last resort, he casts Flame Strike (10' radius, 10d6 damage, reflex for half) essentially right on himself, knowing that the PC's will get hit. The cleric's Spell Resistance is 21. So the spell goes off, SR kicks in, and he doesn't take any damage. Of course it's possible that SR may have been overcome and he would have taken damage. So here's my question: is the drow's own spell subject to spell resistance? That's how I ruled, but would like your opinions.

The drow's SR applies to his own spell, but you roll the caster level check like with any other spell.

You can voluntarily _lower_ your SR so that a spell affects you (as a standard action). There's nothing that says you can _heighten_ your SR so that a spell never affects you.

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Spell Resistance Question

hong said:
The drow's SR applies to his own spell, but you roll the caster level check like with any other spell.

You can voluntarily _lower_ your SR so that a spell affects you (as a standard action). There's nothing that says you can _heighten_ your SR so that a spell never affects you.

The reason a creature's SR never interferes with its own spells is evident by the fact that a cleric can cast a heal spell on himself and his SR never gets in the way (he doesn't have to lower it at all). Any spell the cleric casts automatically bypasses his own SR, including flamestrike.

If he were to accept healing from someone else, then he would have to lower it. Your SR is considered "down" for your own spells and always "up unless lowered" for everyone else. SR doesn't know the difference between the cleric's healing spell or flamestrike spell and I don't believe that you can "raise" your SR just a little bit more so that all of your beneficial spells can get through but all damaging spells will have to make a check.

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: Re: Re: Spell Resistance Question

kreynolds said:
The reason a creature's SR never interferes with its own spells is evident by the fact that a cleric can cast a heal spell on himself and his SR never gets in the way (he doesn't have to lower it at all). Any spell the cleric casts automatically bypasses his own SR, including flamestrike.

I think you're right.

Remove ads