• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Spell selection guide?

Wachunga

First Post
I've been looking for a guide to help with spell selection in 5th edition, but can't seem to find one. For new players, it can be overwhelming trying to figure this out without play experience.

Ideally the guide would cover things like the following for each spell:
which classes have access?
how situational is it? (combat? roleplaying? only outside?)
any synergy with other spells or party members?
any relevant gotchas? (eg consumed components or rule ambiguities)

Does such a thing exist (yet)?

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I've been looking for a guide to help with spell selection in 5th edition, but can't seem to find one. For new players, it can be overwhelming trying to figure this out without play experience.

Ideally the guide would cover things like the following for each spell:
which classes have access?
how situational is it? (combat? roleplaying? only outside?)
any synergy with other spells or party members?
any relevant gotchas? (eg consumed components or rule ambiguities)

Does such a thing exist (yet)?
A sortable spell list:
http://mouseferatu.com/index.php/news/august-8-2014-a-special-gift-for-my-fellow-dd-fans/

Wachunga

First Post
Thanks. I've seen that one and variants. The spreadsheet does help with knowing which spell is available to whom, but I was hoping for more.

Here's an example:

Chromatic orb
Available to: sorcerer, wizard
Great single target damage and useful damage type flexibility but requires you to actually hit, and does nothing on a miss. (Also there's the minor issue of requiring a gem on hand.)
Ranged attack so it is opposed by AC, can crit, but also subject to cover and adjacency penalties.

Magic missile
Available to: sorcerer, wizard
Reliable damage (auto hit) and can hit multiple targets. Can be blocked by the Shield spell.
Ranged attack so it is opposed by AC, can crit, but also subject to cover and adjacency penalties.

Scripture

First Post
I haven't played D&D since Advanced about 30 years ago. I've read a lot about the new release and like that it's back to role playing rather than roll playing. Anyway...

Yeah. I've no idea about spells or magic at this point. My first character will be a Necromancer. If there are any players with hints/tips on how to play one willing to offer what the OP is discussing, I'd be indebted. I believe the group I am joining will be tolerant of my ignorance (dare I call myself a n00b at this point?), but I'd like to able to dive in with some knowledge.

I've read a bunch of sites and am visiting this forum. Getting some info should help me immerse in the game again. I'm hoping to enjoy the experience.

Remove ads