• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Spell Sniper Feat + War Caster Feat + Sword Burst Cantrip = ???

movieholic1977

First Post
Spell Sniper Feat + War Caster Feat + Sword Burst Cantrip = ? I believe this combo works, but i am double checking myself here, because of "nuances" in the language of 5eThis enables a "close burst 2", using 4th edition logic, so it hits all creatures within 10 feet, since the cantrip is "cast", and the range being 5 feet, is doubled per the tricky wording of Spell Sniper. Worser still, the combo is used as both an "AoO" and as an Action if needed.The build would be something like:1 Variant Human + 1 to 2 skills, + 1 feat, + 1 skill - either Spell Sniper or Warcaster with Warcaster gaining the edge since its the only feat that allows spells as an "AoO"234 Variant Human + 1 to 2 skills, + 1 feat, + 1 skill - finishing combo with the "other" feat or in simpler terms...they didn't see that coming...

Except the reaction casting of the spell would only affect the provoking creature. Remember that War Caster says that it only targets the provoker.

The Spell Sniper combo with the spell would work fine, I believe. I do think that the writers knew exactly what they were doing, as new content is generally balanced against the PHB at a minimum. That's why GFB/BB were written as they are, as you need Spell Sniper/Distant Spell to make them work with reach weapons.

movieholic1977

First Post
this is the frustrating part....

( IF ) War Caster Feat, says, "you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, "

but the spell affecting the "single" creature affects all the creatures around you within 5 feet...

does that somehow make the combo illegal? or invalid?

So Spell Sniper Feat and War Caster should be feats that pair well with each other.

Then to overly complicate things, does "Spell Sniper Feat", extend the range of 5 feet to 10 feet?

Then to finish up, the combo should be used as both a Reaction and as an Action.

However the specific language of 5e is a bit tricky to interpret

Breaking this down word by word seems to be the only way to understand this crazy logic, but my perception of facts might vary with yours...i look forward to your thoughts on the matter

Thanks in advance for your help in understanding,

Michael

Spell Sniper actually wouldn't work with Sword Burst, as it doesn't require an attack roll. It's a saving throw spell, so SS is off the table.

War Caster states that "it must only target that creature," so casting Sword Burst as an OA would be more of a focused casting than its normal AoE effect.

movieholic1977

First Post
Spell Sniper + Green Flame Blade seems to work until you have to justify how a dagger at typically 5 feet range is now attacking someone at 10 feet away because the range of your melee weapons is somehow increased even though that does not seem logical

but what is logic when Thorn Whip allows a 60 FOOT ! Whip to hit someone...

i mean birds fear you now, because thats just funny

overall

Spell Sniper + Vicious Mockery

or

Spell Sniper + Eldritch Blast

they seem like the safe choices, thanks for your help in reading, apparently i still suck at it

Any other thoughts?

Michael

Ainulindalion

First Post
Spell Sniper requires an attack roll as part of the spell. Vicious Mockery has a saving throw.

So, Spell Sniper doubles the range of the following:

Cantrips:
PHB:
Chill Touch
Eldritch Blast
Fire Bolt
Ray of Frost
Shocking Grasp
Thorn Whip

EEPC:
Magic Stone
SCAG:
Booming Blade
Green-Flame Blade

1st Level:
PHB:
Chromatic Orb
Guiding Bolt
Inflict Wounds
Ray of Sickness
Witch Bolt

EEPC:
Ice Knife

And I don't really feel like doing the rest of the list... But there aren't that many as you get into higher level spells.

For SS + GFB, you're still limited by the range of your melee weapon. It's a combo primarily there for reach weapons, although it also synergizes with Lunging Attack.

Again, SS doesn't work with spells without attack rolls, so no Vicious Mockery. If the spell description doesn't tell you to make an attack roll of some kind, it doesn't work with SS.

Edit: Shocking Grasp shouldn't be on that list. It's a touch spell.

Last edited:

Remove ads