• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell Storing and Multiple Rays

Scharlata

First Post
Hi, fellow spell storing device users!

If I'd a spell storing weapon and I were to put a Scorching Ray into it to release it after a hit, what will I pump into my foe if the caster level of the spell donator was 11th?

* Just one scorching ray, because it's enough?
* All three of the scorching rays, because that's how it should work?
* Other, because you didn't understand the whole thing?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The Ring of Spell Storing explicitly specifies that the stored spell is cast at minimum caster level.

The Spell Storing Melee Weapon Special Ability doesn't specify. Which leaves us with three possibilities:

1. The Ring sets a precedent, and in the absence of a specific rule, we should use the precedent. Minimum caster level.

2. The Ring specifies, and the Melee Weapon Special Ability does not, which indicates they should be treated differently. Use the caster level of the spell that is stored in the weapon.

3. The Ring specifies, and the Melee Weapon Special Ability does not, which indicates they should be treated differently. Since the weapon possessing the ability has a caster level, and it is the weapon that casts the spell per the ability description, we should take into account what that means:

Caster Level: The next item in a notational entry gives the caster level of the item, indicating its relative power. The caster level determines the item’s saving throw bonus, as well as range or other level-dependent aspects of the powers of the item (if variable).

So we end up with three possible answers, assuming a +1 Spell Storing weapon (CL 12):
CL 3 (minimum to cast Scorching Ray)
CL 11 (caster level of the spell that was stored at the time it was stored)
CL 12 (caster level of the weapon)

I'm personally inclined to go with option 1, since I feel the Ring demonstrates how spell storing is intended to operate. But you could support all three answers.

-Hyp.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Scharlata said:
If I'd a spell storing weapon and I were to put a Scorching Ray into it to release it after a hit, what will I pump into my foe if the caster level of the spell donator was 11th?
You can't put scorching ray into a spell storing weapon. Spell storing requires a "targeted" spell, and scorching ray is not targeted (i.e. have "Target:").

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Infiniti2000 said:
You can't put scorching ray into a spell storing weapon. Spell storing requires a "targeted" spell, and scorching ray is not targeted (i.e. have "Target:").

Heh. I was focused on the Caster Level part of the question, and that one slipped by me :)

-Hyp.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Heh. I was focused on the Caster Level part of the question, and that one slipped by me :)

-Hyp.
It's okay. I'm betting Scorching Ray was just an example and you've covered the actual question most eloquently. :)

Gumby

First Post
Hm. Doesn't the fact that the spell requires targets, as listed in the explanation of the spell, fit the "target" requirement? There's no "Targets:" in the technical stuff above, but the spell's still a targeted spell in that it requires targets, I'd imagine. Is there a "targeted spell" definition somewhere?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Gumby said:
Hm. Doesn't the fact that the spell requires targets, as listed in the explanation of the spell, fit the "target" requirement? There's no "Targets:" in the technical stuff above, but the spell's still a targeted spell in that it requires targets, I'd imagine. Is there a "targeted spell" definition somewhere?

Well, there's the definition of a Ray:

Ray: Some effects are rays. You aim a ray as if using a ranged weapon, though typically you make a ranged touch attack rather than a normal ranged attack. As with a ranged weapon, you can fire into the dark or at an invisible creature and hope you hit something. You don’t have to see the creature you’re trying to hit, as you do with a targeted spell. Intervening creatures and obstacles, however, can block your line of sight or provide cover for the creature you’re aiming at.

Notice how it draws a contrast between rays and targeted spells?

A targeted spell, you must see your target. A ray, you need not see the creature you're trying to hit. A ray is not a targeted spell.

-Hyp.

ScipioX

First Post
As was noted, the rules are a bit vague. I generally go with the caster level of the person who cast a spell into an item, as that makes the most sense.

However, using the minimum caster level is probably the most balanced method.

Remove ads