• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell Storing Weapon: Best choices?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Jondor_Battlehammer said:
Only half the damage of the average spell, D6/2 levels, but you get those as temp HPs.

It's argued :)

Any time the weapon strikes a creature and the creature takes damage from it, the weapon can immediately cast the spell on that creature as a free action if the wielder desires.

And

You gain temporary hit points equal to the damage you deal.

'You' in a spell description refers to the caster, and the caster in this case is the weapon, not the wielder.

-Hyp.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
'You' in a spell description refers to the caster, and the caster in this case is the weapon, not the wielder.
Note that there's also an argument that only 'characters' can gain temporary hit points (because that's all the rules adjudicate). The sword, unless intelligent, is not a character and therefore does not benefit from the temporary hit points at all. So, you can still sunder it.

TheGogmagog

First Post
Corsair said:
#1, I was leaning towards Blindness/Deafness or Bestow Curse, figuring it'd be better to weaken so that future beatings would be more successful.

#2, Tasha's Hideous Laughter or Slow, I'm drawing a blank.
Those are the best four that I know of. That's assuming spells are cast at the DC of whoever charges the spell. Even then, much past 10th level the save for a 3rd level spell is only to be feared if that's your weak save and most BBEG have all good saves or compensate for thier bad save.

#3: I rather go for holy for 2d6 thats not avoidable that I know of, and pay for it for with those constructs and non-evil combats.

sdt

First Post
Would a Chill Touch work for multiple attacks? I think an empowerd Ray of Enfeebelment would be quite effective.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Don't forget Poison. A nasty effect and since the spell DC scales by caster level, you can get a good DC at high levels. The only downside: you need to find a druid to cast it for you.

Corsair

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
Don't forget Poison. A nasty effect and since the spell DC scales by caster level, you can get a good DC at high levels. The only downside: you need to find a druid to cast it for you.

Which we have in the party! :)

NimrodvanHall

First Post
Corsair said:
Which we have in the party! :)
Poison would be best.
or.....
Cure Serious wounds, A good spell vs Undead oponents, and when soem party member runs past you, wounded and in mortal terror, you remind anyone on the table that he provoked an attack of oportunity from you, and you use it to touch him and let he healing spell go off ;)

Infiniti2000

First Post
NimrodvanHall said:
Cure Serious wounds, A good spell vs Undead oponents, and when soem party member runs past you, wounded and in mortal terror, you remind anyone on the table that he provoked an attack of oportunity from you, and you use it to touch him and let he healing spell go off ;)
Three problems with that. (1) You have to strike for damage. (2) You can't choose to make a touch attack with a weapon. (3) My emphasis: "An enemy that takes certain actions while in a threatened square provokes an attack of opportunity from you."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads