• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell to know a person's life?

SolitonMan

Explorer
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there's a D&D 3.5 spell that would be similar to legend lore, but would reveal the details of the life of the target. Essentially what I'm looking for is a spell that would give the caster knowledge of the target as if they had grown up together, living in the same house and spending time together like family members, maybe, or close friends. Not every single detail of every thought the target has had, but the kind of familiarity that anyone who knew the target well would have.

I'm thinking that this would be a divination spell of some sort, but I'm not sure about the level or class(es). If anyone can point me to something that fits this bill I'd appreciate it. Thanks! :)

xigbar

Explorer
I don't know if said spell exists, but it would be fairly high level. At least 6th. If there's a time travel spell, you could just use that to get the information you want.

jefgorbach

First Post
Depends upon your target ... Legend lore works on subjects of at least 11th level per RAW, so presumably increasing its spell-level would allow gathering info on lower level subjects, say each +1 effective level reducing the subject's required level by 2 ??

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
The Vision Spell? Legend Lore as a standard action?

other creative options:

Detect Thoughts (level 2) + social skills. Beginning a conversation with the target about childhood-related things, bringing those thoughts to the surface, than taking advantage of what you know by carrying on the conversation.

Suggestion (level 3) + social skills. Have the target tell you things about their childhood and such.

Contact Other Plane (level 5). Get questions answered.

SolitonMan

Explorer
Actually I'm thinking more of a divine ability so maybe a spell isn't appropriate. Turns out the Salient Divine Ability Know Secrets does pretty much exactly what I was envisioning with my initial post.

edwee

First Post
not sure if this helps, since your last post seems to say youve found what you were looking for, and this is a kinda old post, but there is a spell from the Book of Vile Darkness that allows you to know everything a person knows, and gives you the ability to alter it. its a 9th level Wizard spell called "Mindrape"

Celebrim

Legend
Monte Cook had alot of spells along these lines for his Arcana Unearthed product line. They usually were named along the lines of '____ Loresight', and had greater and lesser versions.

For example, casting Object Loresight you could gain the following knowledge in order:

Age of object.
Name of last creature to touch the object, if any (other than you).
Race of last creature to touch the object, if any (other than you).
Name of the object’s creator (a natural object, like a rock, was created by nature).
Race of the object’s creator, if any.
Object’s purpose.
Material(s) that makes up the object.
Location of the object’s creation.
Name of the most recent owner of the object, if any.
Magical ability of the object, if any (random if more than one)

Essentially this would tell you the history of the object. I would not be surprised if there was a 'Person' Loresight spell of some sort.

I would look there for details.

SolitonMan

Explorer
Thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions. I think that mindrape is a bit overkill, not to mention evil. :) Plus, I thought it was an Enchantment school spell, whereas I'm looking for something more along the lines of Divination (essentially a really powerful Vision spell).

I'll check out the AU (and AE) stuff - and you remind me that I have the Complete Book of Eldritch Might on a shelf, too. I'll take a gander there.

Basically I'm statting up a deity, so power limits are kind of arbitrary. I could always resort to the tried and true, "it works because I say it works," but I'd prefer to have SOME justification for my choices (at least in the context of the game).

Last edited:

Ahnehnois

First Post
Metafaculty is a psionic power that sort of does what you're looking for. Beyond that, I'd look to LL/Vision or permutations thereof as others have said.

a spell that would give the caster knowledge of the target as if they had grown up together, living in the same house and spending time together like family members, maybe, or close friends. Not every single detail of every thought the target has had, but the kind of familiarity that anyone who knew the target well would have.
None of these quite goes to the level of familiarity you are asking for, however. That level of depth is kind of unethical, whether you want to call it a "mindrape" or not.

kahn_bloodbane

First Post
for a deity is pretty easy.. "I know your childhood because I were there watching you" is the standard answer, who needs to "contact other planes" for details if the one in other planes spying on you was the god himself?

Remove ads