• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spellcaster base class - divine or arcane?

malien

First Post
Alright, so I was just reading the section in Unearthed Arcana about the three basic classes. And it says that a spellcaster's choice of being divine or arcane does /not/ affect their spell selection, rather, it only affects the sort of scrolls they can use.

Now, to me, this sounds like it means that they can choose spells from any spell list? Is this true? And if so, and one were to nerf that by making them choose between arcane or divine, what might be a suitable benefit to give them for the loss?

malien

First Post
Galethorn said:
Make them choose one or the other, and the one they don't choose always counts as a level higher?

Well, I sort of want to avoid the characters having access to both spell lists. In my game, there is a defined role for wizards (arcane spellcasters) and priests (divine spellcasters) and I want them to be differentiated. I'd prefer to keep their spell lists separate, entirely. Hmm. Maybe they don't really need any 'balancing' help? Spellcasters will be rare in my game, so just /having/ magic will be something nifty... :)

Galethorn

First Post
How about keeping the stat requirements the same as usual? Int/Cha (they choose) for arcane, and Wis for divine spells? Multi-ability-dependancy is a very strong method of keeping people from doing all sorts of things.

Now, if they just plain had to choose, I'd give them bonus skillpoints, HD, or BAB to make up for it.

malien said:
Alright, so I was just reading the section in Unearthed Arcana about the three basic classes. And it says that a spellcaster's choice of being divine or arcane does /not/ affect their spell selection, rather, it only affects the sort of scrolls they can use.

Now, to me, this sounds like it means that they can choose spells from any spell list? Is this true? And if so, and one were to nerf that by making them choose between arcane or divine, what might be a suitable benefit to give them for the loss?

dont use generic classes if theres a diffrence its THAT SIMPLE.if my necromancer wants to learn slay living or harm whats to stop him.

Remove ads