• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spellcasting and two handed weapons

bret

First Post
This question came up as part of another thread.

If a spellcaster has a two handed weapon and wants to cast a spell, they have to remove one of their hands from the weapon. When they do this, that prevents them from threatening an area for a period of time.

The question is, how long do they cease to threaten an area?

I know that with bucklers, if you use the hand of the arm with the buckler you loose the defense of the buckler for that whole round.

Would it be the same way with weapons, where you would cease to threaten an area for the whole round?

hong

WotC's bitch
I'd say that unless it's a full-round casting time or longer, it doesn't materially affect the spellcaster's ability to threaten an area. It only matters for AoOs, which occur out of your turn, and casting a 1-action spell takes place entirely in-turn.

Voadam

Legend
I agree with Hong,

I would say putting your hand back on the weapon and readying it is a free action so after casting you can threaten again.

bret

First Post
Even if you limit it to the time they cast a 1-action spell, it can make a difference. If someone readied an attack for when the spellcaster started his spell, they could charge and grapple him without fear of AoO from the spellcaster.

If the spellcaster doesn't have both hands on the weapon, he can't be threatening an area with it.

The thing is, with the way that a buckler is handled I'm really wondering if the penalty shouldn't be longer.

The Souljourner

First Post
I remember seeing something about "disarming" shields and two handed weapons that basically just knocked them out of readiness and required a move equivalent action to reset them. As long as you didn't take that MEA, they didn't count as being equipped.

I think this is a perfect solution to your problem. If the spellcaster wants to cast a spell with a two handed weapon, make him take a MEA to release/reset his weapon.

Just a thought,

-The Souljourner

Songwind

First Post
Point to consider, Souljourner...

When someone "disarms" your shield or large weapon in this way, they are intentionally getting it out of useable position, AGAINST your will... for instance, disarming a staff in this way would probably mean stripping one hand off of it and knocking it out wide..

However, a wizard with the same staff would just set one end on the ground and hold it up with his off-hand, and cast with his "good" hand. Getting back into position would pretty much just be a matter of leaning it back over into his hand and picking it up.

I would treat it like drawing/readying a weapon under normal circumstances - an MEA, or an action that can be taken during movement if your BAB is +1 or higher.

Christian

Explorer
Seems fair, Songwind. So a caster could: (a) move his normal movement, then un-ready the weapon and cast, then re-ready the weapon on his next turn, or (b) cast, then re-ready the weapon (or move while re-readying if she is at least second level) and not give up any possible AoO's during the next round. Makes sense to me ... I suppose the quick-draw feat ought to affect this as well. Not that I've ever seen a spellcaster take quick-draw.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads