• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spellcasting Class Ability Modifier

Technik4

First Post
My proposal is to allow each character to pick his spellcasting attribute, with the caveat that it must be a 'mental' attribute (Int, Wis, or Cha). This means you can play an Intelligence-based Cleric, a Charisma-based Wizard, or a Wisdom-based Sorcerer (or other variations).

1. What balance problems might this change bring?
2. Would you consider this for your games?

Thanks for any input.

rgard

Adventurer
Technik4 said:
My proposal is to allow each character to pick his spellcasting attribute, with the caveat that it must be a 'mental' attribute (Int, Wis, or Cha). This means you can play an Intelligence-based Cleric, a Charisma-based Wizard, or a Wisdom-based Sorcerer (or other variations).

Thanks for any input.

I could envision everybody taking intelligence for the spellcasting attribute. You get the synergy with skill points.

Charisma would once again be a throw away stat.

You can try it and let us know. Would be interested to hear which stat the spellcasters take.

Thanks,
Rich

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I agree -- everything would shift over to Int or Wis. It'd be a nice boost for all non-Wizards.

Heh. Bards would be stronger. :) Sorcerers less so; fewer class skills.

Cleric / Rogue would suddenly have some synergy. Skill-granting Domains would be more popular. Cloistered clerics would drooooool.

Cheers, -- N

jasin

Explorer
Technik4 said:

A Cha-based cleric with well chosen divine feats might be rather impressive. (Even more than a Wis-based one already is.)

I'd consider it, but I wouldn't do it. :)

I don't think anything will break utterly if you do it, but I like the spellcasting stats as they are, and if I needed, say, an Int-cleric, I'd make a cleric variant, with Int-based casting and other appropriate tweaks, rather than just letting the player choose the stat while keeping everything else the same. I'd allow free choice only if I was folding everything into one generic "the spellcaster" class.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Mystic Theurge (and similar PrCs) should become more popular, since you won't have the double-casting-stat problem for bonus spells and DCS.

Ilium

First Post
I have a homebrew spontaneous divine caster in my game. I made the mistake of making the casting charisma based, and giving the class other charisma-based abilities (like Turn Undead).

The character is a bit overpowered. Not drastically so, but in the hands of a real min-maxer it could get ugly. :)

Vrecknidj

Explorer
How about a feat that has to be taken at 1st level that has the effect of what you're after?

Generic Name of Feat [General]
Prerequisite: must be taken at character creation, character must be able to cast spells at 1st level
Benefit: Choose one key ability (Cha, Int or Wis) to replace the existing key ability of a spellcasting class. This character now uses this ability for all purposes related to spellcasting for this class.

In general, your idea's weaknesses have already been discussed. Forcing the character in question to suck up a feat brings a little balance to it.

I can see a cleric with Cha as the main stat being particularly fun to play. This character will be better at the Cha-based skill side of playing a cleric (i.e. proselytizing), and will have a certain flair for things like Turn Undead. His Will save might not be as good as a traditional cleric, but that's not necessarily a bad thing--it's a consequence of this choice. And, I've never really understood why a cleric should be so good at Spot and Listen anyway. ;)

Dave

Flame_Excess

Explorer
I'm currently working on a totally new system that goes along the int and wis in one stat so all non-spontaneous spellcasters rely on it. Otherwise, they gain, along with other spontaneous spellcaster classes, bonus spells with charisma.

I really think it gets balanced that way because you add a flavor-wise and pertinent benefit for a single malus that balances that pertinent benefit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads