• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spellcasting for non-spellcasters

Riverwalker

First Post
Has anyone used the basic spellcasting feats from Midnight in a 'normal' game (i.e. one that has the spellcasting classes unchanged)? Has it upset the game at all?

For those that are not familiar with the Midnight setting, there is a feat that any class can take that gives knowledge and casting of a couple of 0 lvl and one 1st lvl spell (may have the details slightly wrong - I don't hav ethe book with me)

I've always liked the idea of any class/character being able to develop at least a small amount of spell casting ability (probably a nostalgic memory from Rolemaster and RuneQuest).

Be nice to me - it's my first thread... ;)

genshou

First Post
I've not done it with the core D&D magic system, but in Elements of Magic - Revised I once gave one 1/2 caster level per 2 levels in a non-spellcasting class. That meant everyone got a caster level of at least 5 by 20th-level, and it also helped out a bit with multiclass casters. With the core magic system, I'm not entirely sure how I would do that.

I'm a fan of the Magical Heritage feat from the d20 Modern setting Urban Arcana, as well. When I'm using Elements of Magic - Revised with a fantasy conversion of d20 Modern, I have Magical Heritage give 1/2 caster level (which gives limited spellcasting ability more or less equivalent to a 1st-level Bard) instead of once-per-day access to three cantrips.

Riverwalker

First Post
That's an interesting way to do it. Did the spellcasting characters feel like their unique abilities were being undermined - i.e. did the wizard in the group get annoyed others could cast spells?

genshou

First Post
When the main spellcaster was casting spells at 16 magic points and everyone else was casting at 4 magic points, certainly not. ;) About all the other PCs could to with their MP was contribute to rituals let by the true spellcaster PC, which was kind of the point of the setting. Everyone 2nd-level or above can cast spells. It was a high-magic setting where when everyone got together to cooperatively cast, a lot of extraordinary things could be accomplished. The spellcasting PC felt "special" in that he was better than everyone else at what he could do. And he was the master of counterspelling against most foes, of course. :]

Vrecknidj

Explorer
Another cool way to do it is to have the classes advance in spell casting level at the same rate as the poor save advancement rate. This is a little bit more power than some would want to use, but in a very-high-magic setting, having an 18th level fighter have access to some 3rd level spells, and casting them as a 6th level caster, wouldn't be overly powerful.

Dave

Riverwalker

First Post
Another good idea, thank you.

I think both would achieve what i am looking for, which is that magic is available to PC's, but not necessarily everywhere in the world or all that powerful.

Would spell casting classes get anything additional? Maybe they'd have a second caster class, or maybe bonus spells. Either way it increases their range of low level abilities which is a good thing I think.

Remove ads