Spelljammer Collector's Guide

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I just remembered this, but I can't remember what recent thread I saw this in that there was a Spelljammer supplement that was canceled, but I think it was the spells that were included in the Wizard's Spell Compendium series (It may have been in a thread talking about the Magic Item Compendiums or "Thinking about playing 2E" thread here in general).
Well remembered! You are thinking of Infinity Sphere, for which production was still in a very early stage when the Spelljammer line was canceled. About four or so items from that unpublished product made it into the Encyclopedia Magica series, and since they don't appear anywhere else, should probably be included on the list. I'll investigate this a little further and see if I can figure out which items those were.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Well remembered! You are thinking of Infinity Sphere, for which production was still in a very early stage when the Spelljammer line was canceled. About four or so items from that unpublished product made it into the Encyclopedia Magica series, and since they don't appear anywhere else, should probably be included on the list. I'll investigate this a little further and see if I can figure out which items those were.
I have finally returned to this guide and added in the seven items from the canceled Infinity Sphere product which later appeared in the Encyclopedia Magica.

I've also added a handful of 2e RPGA tournament adventures, including the delightfully named The Unsung, Fantastic & Perilous Expedition of Ironhelm Jones' Rock Bottom Dwarven Mining Company, surely a strong contender for the D&D adventure with the longest name. The list of RPGA adventures is far from complete, and if anyone is aware of any other Spelljammer tournament adventures, please let me know.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Great work, Echohawk.

Is there a thread that just lists all the threads like this you've done? If so, I think you should put it in your signature so that soon you will be able to rule the world.

... or something.

I had a good sized collection of SJ stuff once upon a time, but I've lost most of it over the years. I do still have those two cool wall posters that show all the various types of spelljammer ships, with the silhouette of the Spelljammer itself in the background...

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Is there a thread that just lists all the threads like this you've done? If so, I think you should put it in your signature so that soon you will be able to rule the world.
I'm not sure about ruling the world (that sounds like an awful lot of work!), but there are links to all of the other Collector's Guides at the top of each one. Here's the complete list so far:

Big Mac

Explorer
Brilliant thread!

You mention this in your Greyhawk list, but it is also relevant to Greyspace, so should be included here.

The "2nd Edition miscellaneous" section should also include:
Undermountain: Stardock (because Stardock is an asteroid in the Tears of Selune)
The Illithiad (which includes details on the Astrumundi Chronicles but is seen as required reading by a lot of SJ fans as the illithids are such an iconic race for SJ - it also sets up the three following adventures that have a SJ link)
A Darkness Gathering (first of the Illithid Trillogy)
Masters of the Eternal Night (second of the Illthid Trillogy)
Dawn of the Overmind (third of the Illithid Trilogy)

There are other 2e products that include SJ material. (And for SJ itself, there was a "recommended reading list" as some non-SJ products are kind of required to get the three big spheres to work.)

The "3rd Edition material" section could possibly include
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (because of the section about The Sea of Night at the end of the Geography chapter)
Monster Manual V ("Mind Flayers of Thoon" returned from the Far Realm in spelljamming ships - making them a SJ faction - and "Thoon in Eberron" section links the Eberron setting to Spelljammer)

There are some novels ("Miscellaneous novels"?) and short story collections that feature SJ elements:
Realms of Magic (2 stories "Smoke Powder and Mirrors" and "Gunne Runner")
The Dragons at War (1 story "Through the Door at the Top of the Sky")
Elves of Evermeet (has spelljamming ships, spacefaring gold elves and mentions of other worlds)
Finder's Bane (features a spelljamming ship and a spacefaring character)

I've heard that Corsair also features a spelljamming ship and that there are two sequels to Finder's Bane, which might also feature SJ elements (or maybe Planescape elements).

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I've heard that Corsair also features a spelljamming ship and that there are two sequels to Finder's Bane, which might also feature SJ elements (or maybe Planescape elements).

The two sequels (the Dragonlance novel Fistandantilus Reborn and the Forgotten Realms novel Tymora's Luck) don't have any Spelljammer material, though the latter has quite a bit of Planescape material (the former has a smidgen at the very end).

Remove ads