Spelljammer d20

Randolpho

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Avast!

drnuncheon said:

I dunno about the old 'gravity plane', but I always liked the crystal spheres and phlogiston. It just supported the fact that 'this is not our world' all the better.

If that's missing from SJ:SotSM I can see that I have my work cut out for me...

J

Heh... ironic that you post this as i'm posting the opposite... :)

I never understood the need for the crystal sphere or the phlogiston. However, I understand that the entire concept is outside the scope of the Spelljammer d20. They were obviously only concerned with a *single* system.

Note my suggestion for interstellar travel...

jaults

First Post
    Thanks for the quick responses, Erik and Andy! I really, really like what you have done with this new Spelljammer setting, and I immediately made plans to incorporate it into my campaign.

Finally, can I get your final word on this: do spelljammer helms suck spells, or merely require that a spellcaster (or a Use Magic Item roll) use it?
    Randolpho, helms do not suck spells, and I would imagine they would require a Use Magic Device roll with a DC of 20 (Emulate spell ability) if you are not actually a spellcaster...

I do have some additional questions for the designers that haven't really been answered as of yet. Obviously, I could make up my own answers, but since I have never read any of the source material, I'd like to hear from someone with that experience...
  • How far does the atmosphere extend from a ship?
  • Can all ships move (at tactical speed, I assume) in an atmosphere, even those unable to land.
  • Ships can double move, but they cannot "run," right?
  • What happens (with gravity, atmosphere) when multiple ships get close together? I made the assumption that small ships are "forced" into a larger ship's gravity plane when they approach...
  • What's outside the atmosphere of a planet or ship? Vacuum? If so, what happens when a person is exposed to vacuum?
  • [edit]What is the hardness, HP, etc of a helm? (I don't have my magazine in front of me right now, so forgive me if this is an already answered question)

Thanks for any insight!
    Jason

Last edited:

drnuncheon

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Avast!

Randolpho said:
I never understood the need for the crystal sphere or the phlogiston.

I don't think it's necessarily a need. It's a style thing. I think the funky fantasy physics of the old Spelljammer were far more interesting than just sailing through a vacuum. It was a completely different take on the universe from what we have - one that would only be possible in a fantasy setting. It said without a doubt "this ain't the real world, bub".

I suspect that was the trouble a lot of people had with it - they couldn't abandon their preconceptions and think outside the box enough to enjoy it. It's an extension of the people who go on about how dragons could never fly and giants would have fallen arches.

Besides, I liked the allusion to scientific theories that have been disproven in our world. Then again, I'm not afraid to have D&D cosmologies that are geocentric and have air-filled space, letting you fly to other planets, or suns that are literally driven across the sky in a boat or a chariot. I'm sure that would cause some folks problems, too.

J

gamecat

Explorer
At the risk of raising ire of publishers, I have come by a PDF of The Concordance of Arcane Space and I'll email it to anyone who wants the 2e rules on spelljamming.

Not to rehash the Morpheus debate, but I can justify this. Mages of the Beach specifically said they would not reprint any of the spelljammer material.

Katowice

Explorer
If one does NOT use the "Psionics Are Different" option from the Psionics Handbook, i.e., psionics are another form of magic, can a psion or psychic warrior count as a "spellcaster" for the purpose of using a spelljammer helm?

Erik Mona said:
Check out page 32, under the "Movement" header. It takes 2d6+2 days to move between planets on a ship fitted with a minor helm. It takes 1d6+1 days to make the same trip in a ship fit with a major helm. That should cover navigating between planets. It's simple. You point your ship and you go.

As for spelljammer helms, they're magic items. You sit in them and activate them as you would a normal item. As long as a spellcaster is seated in the chair, that spellcaster can control the movement of the ship.

Are you looking for more specific information than that?

--Erik

Randolpho

First Post
Katowice said:
If one does NOT use the "Psionics Are Different" option from the Psionics Handbook, i.e., psionics are another form of magic, can a psion or psychic warrior count as a "spellcaster" for the purpose of using a spelljammer helm?

Good question. It wasn't addressed in the magazine, obviously, but it shouldn't be, as Psionics are an optional rule system, just as Spelljammer is. Not usually a good idea to cross over optional systems, as 2e did.

As a DM, I would rule yes.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
>>>
>>>

I'd allow that, certainly.

Just to be clear, spelljammer helms do not "suck" spells out of the minds of their drivers. That makes the party spellcaster little more than a tag-along during (and more importantly after) the journey, and we figured that was no fun for anyone. It was certainly one of the largest frustrations I had when running the original Spelljammer material back in the day.

--Erik

Andy_Collins

First Post
Spelljammer Questions

Thanks for the questions, jaults. In most cases, you should feel comfortable going with whatever answer seems reasonable for your campaign. Below are my opinions, in some cases completely off the cuff.

* How far does the atmosphere extend from a ship?

We purposefully tried to avoid that level of specificity whenever we could. I'd say, "as far as it seems reasonable and cinematic in your game." You should definitely be able to swing across to another nearby ship without leaving air, so at least 10 or 20 feet seems reasonable to me.

* Can all ships move (at tactical speed, I assume) in an atmosphere, even those unable to land.

Sure.

* Ships can double move, but they cannot "run," right?

Yup.

* What happens (with gravity, atmosphere) when multiple ships get close together? I made the assumption that small ships are "forced" into a larger ship's gravity plane when they approach...

The information on gravity talks about smaller ships being "attracted" to larger ships. I suppose if two ships with drastically different atmospheres "mingled" the two atmospheres would reach a balance (based on relative size & such) but it'd take some time. Probably not worth worrying about on "fly-by" situations.

* What's outside the atmosphere of a planet or ship? Vacuum? If so, what happens when a person is exposed to vacuum?

Whatever it is, it isn't breathable by people. It's certainly not vacuum--note the lack of rules for explosive decompression and the like--and I wouldn't think it would be hazardous in any way except for being, well, not breathable.

* [edit]What is the hardness, HP, etc of a helm? (I don't have my magazine in front of me right now, so forgive me if this is an already answered question)

Plan on a lot of characters smashing helms, eh? :)

Since a helm can take a variety of forms, there's really no specific answer. I'd apply whatever hardness is appropriate to the material (stone, wood, metal, etc.), maybe using the ship's hardness as a guideline. As far as hp--urk. I'd probably suggest using the values for doors given in Table 4-4 of the DMG. Certainly something within 100% to 200% of this value is probably pretty reasonable.

I hope these are helpful!

The Allamistako

First Post
Gamecat - if possible, I'll have that PDF!

Anyway, while I never got to PLAY Spelljammer, I loved the Scro. In fact, all Orcs in games I've run have actually been Scro. I love 'em.

Now all i need is for this issue to get to germany...

-Alla

Remove ads