Spelljammer Spelljammer TV show planned back in 2002?

Guardians was a true sign that Marvel had "made it." They took a weird and obscure superhero team, made a weird (but also good) movie, and it did gangbusters at the box office.

But as most of the other attempts at cinematic multiverses have learned (or not, rather), it worked (as did the first Avengers) because Marvel took the time to lay the groundwork, building both trust in their brand and the stories they were telling, over years.

When GotG came out the response was "who?". A brilliant trailer, talking Raccoon and walking tree changed that. PLus Chris Pratt's natural charisma.

Guardians was a true sign that Marvel had "made it." They took a weird and obscure superhero team, made a weird (but also good) movie, and it did gangbusters at the box office.

But as most of the other attempts at cinematic multiverses have learned (or not, rather), it worked (as did the first Avengers) because Marvel took the time to lay the groundwork, building both trust in their brand and the stories they were telling, over years.

Tell the Eternals that it worked, it barely broke even.

It was also hampered by the pandemic when the rest of the industry was hampered as well. Spider-Man is the first hit in how we think of hits these days so unfair judgement.

Ghostbusters Afterlife ($185,141,186, but on a $75 million budget) and Venom ($500 million) made profits. Heck even the other Marvel movie Shang Chai made money.

I haven't personally seen Eternals, but I don't just, I've heard it just had too many new, major characters.

Sometimes I suspect Hollywood is losing its spark, its special touch. In the past we enjoyed more those movies, and now the FXs are better, but that magic is lost, we aren't happy with lots of the new titles on the screen. It is like if the screenwritters had forgotten how to create good stories. Now when I think about it I am suprised because the reboot of My Little Pony worked very well, and even better than the original serie. Where is the emotion? Too many "jumping the shark"?

Movies need good stories, told with the right rythm, and not too violent to can be watched by the child audience (and this asks their parents to buy toys).

An action-live production of Spelljammer? Maybe, it shouldn't be more difficult than Hercules&Xena, Sea Quest, Lost in Space, Firefly, Andromeda or Star Trek. But with animation the recast is easier.

Really Hasbro wants to produce Spelljammer to sell toys of autognomes riding giant hammsters as monster mounts.

HammerMan

Legend
That's not long after shows like Farscape, Sliders, Stargate, Deep Space Nine, and Lexx were really popular in nerd culture. I can absolutely see why they might consider a ship / multiple planet / dimension show.

Shame they never went for it. We got Kindred: the Embraced at least!
wasn't that like 96?

I would have loved a show with a stargate budget/sets but fantasy

wasn't that like 96?
Farscape was 99-03, Sliders was 95-00, Stargate SG1 was 97-07, Lexx was 97-02. DS9 was older, but ran until 99 and was really good in the later seasons. That seems close enough to 02 that it would be fresh and vibrant in the mind of science fiction fans, to me at least.

Kindred: the Embraced was 96, but I didn't mean we got it instead of Spelljammer. Just that I was happy someone got a TTRPG show (and one I play in addition to D&D), even if it didn't last long.

As for modern shows, I'm tickled pink that Critical Role is getting one. Even if the show is not "Official D&D," we all know it's an actual D&D game being put into show format. I was also delighted by the Dragonlance cartoon in 08, and I strongly suspect the Overlord anime is D&D with the serial numbers filed off.

Remove ads