• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljamming in 3.5 - and - Psionics

Bleys Icefalcon

First Post
Allrighty, we've been experimenting with Spelljamming in 3.5 Rules, and have determined that it's doable, with a few adaptations - yet, I find I am curious if there are any other 3.0/3.5 Spelljamming updates out there.

Next, I am frustrated with Psionics being treated as "just another form of magic" - which they aren't, in 3.5. So, I am wondering, did anyone take the old Psionics from 2.0 (The Complete Psionics Handbook, The Will and the Way, The Way of the Psionisict and Dragon Kings) and convert their stats to 3.0/3.5? Or, if anyone could point me to a conversion table, and I'll just do it myself?

Muchos Gracias

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Next, I am frustrated with Psionics being treated as "just another form of magic" - which they aren't, in 3.5.

Actually, whether they are or aren't is a DM's campaign decision. Look for the "Magic & Psionics Transparency" rules.

Stormonu

Legend
Allrighty, we've been experimenting with Spelljamming in 3.5 Rules, and have determined that it's doable, with a few adaptations - yet, I find I am curious if there are any other 3.0/3.5 Spelljamming updates out there.

There's Spelljammer: Shadow of the Spider Moon that was in Polyhedron #151/Dungeon #92.

There also used to be a semi-official Spelljammer site on the web (with some 3.0/3.5 rules), but I can't seem to locate it via Google.

Also, if you want a psionic system closer to the 2E system, I'd suggest looking at the 3.0 version of psionics instead of the 3.5 - the older version is much closer to the 2E version.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
There is a conversion out there somewhere (on EN World, I think) that takes 2e psionics to 3e (I think 3.5, but I don't remember).

Sorry, I know that's not as helpful as it could be.

Bleys Icefalcon

First Post
Thanks for the replies... still sorting through the information found inthe links.

Our group has decided to fuse the 2.0 Psionic System with our 3.5 game (filing the 3.0/3.5 Psionic Rules in the Circular File), adjustments are ongoing. Once we have a fluid system, I'll post what we've created. Mental Armor Class is back (with a few adjustments), though the whole MTHACO is now gone - Mental attacks being similar to physical attacks from a mechanics viewpoint.

As for Spelljamming, when you can't find what you want - you make something. A few things have been added to Spelljamming in our game - primarily two "new" forms of magic, and several new skills and a few new feats.

Magics:

1. WoTC came out with a 3.5 expansion called The Magic of Incarnum. Upon reading it, it never seemed to fit with anything else. If anything it felt more like an independant magic - IE: On a given world, that's how magic would work. For our 3.5 Spelljamming campaign, we've found a life for Incarnum, with Incarnum infused Hulls, Rudders, and Sails. Overall Incarnum is used to bolster the toughness (hull points) of a spelljamming vessel, it's regenerative capabilities and it's speed in the flow.

2. Radian Crystal (with a nod to Terry Brooks). Lattices or Patterns of various types of crystal and rare gems are worked into sections of the hull, keel, rudder or masts in "Arrays" - with the purposes of improving a spelljammer's manuverability, augmenting some of the abilities of the installed helm, adding capabilities not existent in 2.0 Spelljamming (sensors, tractoring/towing, various "Spells" being cast from "Weapons Mounts" - etc), and effecting the speed of the vessel in wildspace.

Both would be very expensive to add to the normal crews and equipment of a spelljamming vessel, and would require trained Incarnum Wielders, and Tincmen - persons skilled in the operation, maintenance and repair of the Radian Arrays. The most capable vessels, operated by the wealthiest spacefarers would have substantial investment in both.

New Helms: No longer a short list of Minor, Major, Series and Lifejammer. We now have Minor, Moderate, Major, Master, Scepter, Minor Psionic, Major Psionic, Grandmaster Psionic, Orbus, Fae, Mindforged, Lifejammer Deathjammer and Relic.

Needless to say most of these are unavailable for purchace at the Rock of Bral.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Overall I would recommend the 3.5 psionics as they are actually balanced. The 2E, especially a few powers effectively gave 6th or higher level spells to first level characters. Not good for balance. And with wild talents and minimum power levels, there could be first level characters with awesome power.

But I think a fusion could work. Not sure how I would do it, though.

Bleys Icefalcon

First Post
Our biggest argument with 3.0/3.5 Psionics are the abilities/powers virtualy mimic those of a mage, to the point where several actually reference the players handbook mage spell "x" for our psionicist to find out how his power is working. Bah and Uber Humbug on that. If we wanted to play a mage, then we'd have written up a mage. The other thing we tried, was editing out all of the powers that directly mimic the mage - and we found the class was crippled. Part of what we are play testing is the watering down of a few of the 2.0 powers (Dragon Kings anyone?) to make them on par with 3.5 other characters.

Remove ads