• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Spells not in the PHB that you may have been expecting...

edbonny

Explorer
Was noticing a handful of my favorite spells from past editions that did not make it into the new PHB. In particular, I was on the lookout for:

- glitterdust
- improved invisibility (which someone pointed out is greater invis)
- prismatic sphere (although the prismatic wall is pretty close)
- death fog
- wall of fog
- wraithform

Not so surprised that Chariot of Sustarre didn't make it in though. Anyone have (reasonable) spell expectations and that spell was not there...

Last edited:

Prism

Explorer
prismatic spray and greater (improved) invisibility are in there

I will miss wraithform and tensers transformation

edbonny

Explorer
Greater Invisibility is in there (4th level).

Thank you for that. Earlier versions (when the spell was called improved invis) specifically stated that the recipient of the invisibility could attack and remain invisible. The description for greater invis does not specify this and thus my thinking it was not the same as improved invis.

Given that one of its casting options is as a sphere surrounding the caster, I'd say prismatic wall is more than "pretty close" to prismatic sphere.

And you're correct that improved invisibility doesn't call out the fact that you remain invisible if you attack. But it doesn't need to. Turning visible when you attack is specifically a feature of the invisibility spell. There's no reason to assume that would apply to any other spell that grants invisibility that doesn't specifically say as much. :)

Remove ads