• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spells or Psionic Powers that cause a coma?

Are there any spells or psionic powers - or magic items, even - that would cause someone to fall unconscious or into a coma?

Long story behind this, but basically I'm trying to find a way to keep a psion helpless without actually killing him/her.

Thanks for any help...

Jack Simth said:
... what flavor are you looking for?

Hmm... I'm now realizing I should have put more detail into my original post.... ;)

We're 10th level, so preferably something that is useable by 10th level characters... that might be difficult to impossible, though. A high-level scroll might work - we have an artificer that might be able to cast it.

Basically, we want to capture someone, without killing them, and that will allow us to keep them unable to use their psionic powers - preferably unconscious - while another psion uses Mind Probe on them. Preferably unconscious because sleeping characters don't get a save from Mind Probe.

There's a spell in Arcana Evolved that basically puts the target into a coma - I was hoping for something similar in one of the WOTC D&D 3.5 books. My DM has declared only WOTC books to be accessible for the game, but on the other hand, we can pull from just about any WOTC 3.5 book published.

Jack Simth

First Post
The simplest method would be to use something to disable them (Dominate Person, Magic Jar, Feeblemind, Symbol of Sleep, to pull from the Sor/Wiz 5 list out of the SRD) then soak the -4 to attacks to have the party melee brute (or sneak - they can do this too) deal nonlethal damage in excess of the target's HP. When nonlethal exceeds current HP, they fall unconscious. You can keep dealing nonlethal damage to keep them there as long as you like.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Drug 'em up to the eyeballs. Granted there are no real mechanics for this in DnD. But if the GM is reasonable I don't see why it can't work. UNless your target is immune to poisons.

Jack Simth

First Post
DrunkonDuty said:
Drug 'em up to the eyeballs. Granted there are no real mechanics for this in DnD. But if the GM is reasonable I don't see why it can't work. UNless your target is immune to poisons.
The Poison mechanics will actually handle that - you just need them to fail some of the saves.

Well, first we'd have to get the poison, and then figure out somehow to administer it... and get them to fail the saves. Is it just me, or do most of the ones in the SRD seem abnormally low? Are there poisons in other books that have higher save DCs?

The "incapacitate them then knock them out" method seems to be the simplest... and I'm embarressed to say that it never even occured to me.

Thanks, everyone!

Jack Simth

First Post
Goddess FallenAngel said:
Well, first we'd have to get the poison, and then figure out somehow to administer it... and get them to fail the saves. Is it just me, or do most of the ones in the SRD seem abnormally low? Are there poisons in other books that have higher save DCs?

The "incapacitate them then knock them out" method seems to be the simplest... and I'm embarressed to say that it never even occured to me.

Thanks, everyone!
Glad to help. The only real reason you didn't see it is that you were thinking in terms of magic spells. You weren't in the "hit them over the head" paradigm, is all.

Remove ads