Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1 hour/level or until completed
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
You influence the actions of the target creature by suggesting a course of activity (limited to a sentence or two). The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the activity sound reasonable. Asking the creature to do some obviously harmful act automatically negates the effect of the spell.
The suggested course of activity can continue for the entire duration. If the suggested activity can be completed in a shorter time, the spell ends when the subject finishes what it was asked to do. You can instead specify conditions that will trigger a special activity during the duration. If the condition is not met before the spell duration expires, the activity is not performed.
A very reasonable suggestion causes the save to be made with a penalty (such as –1 or –2).
Material Component: A snake’s tongue and either a bit of honeycomb or a drop of sweet oil.

Suggestion, Mass
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Language-Dependent, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 5, Sor/Wiz 6
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: One creature/level, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
This spell functions like suggestion, except that it can affect more creatures. The same suggestion applies to all these creatures.

Summon Instrument
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level: Brd 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: 0 ft.
Effect: One summoned handheld musical instrument
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
This spell summons one handheld musical instrument of your choice. This instrument appears in your hands or at your feet (your choice). The instrument is typical for its type. Only one instrument appears per casting, and it will play only for you. You can’t summon an instrument too large to be held in two hands.

Summon Monster I
Conjuration (Summoning) [see text]
Level: Brd 1, Clr 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, F/DF
Effect: One summoned creature
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
This spell summons an extraplanar creature (typically an outsider, elemental, or magical beast native to another plane). It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. It attacks your opponents to the best of its ability. If you can communicate with the creature, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions.
The spell conjures one of the creatures from the 1st-level list on the accompanying Summon Monster table. You choose which kind of creature to summon, and you can change that choice each time you cast the spell.
A summoned monster cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature, nor can it use any teleportation or planar travel abilities. Creatures cannot be summoned into an environment that cannot support them.
When you use a summoning spell to summon an air, chaotic, earth, evil, fire, good, lawful, or water creature, it is a spell of that type.
Arcane Focus: A tiny bag and a small (not necessarily lit) candle.

Summon Monster II
Conjuration (Summoning) [see text for summon monster I]
Level: Brd 2, Clr 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Effect: One or more summoned creatures, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
This spell functions like summon monster I, except that you can summon one creature from the 2nd-level list or 1d3 creatures of the same kind from the 1st-level list.

Summon Monster III
Level: Brd 3, Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Effect: One or more summoned creatures, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
This spell functions like summon monster I, except that you can summon one creature from the 3rd-level list, 1d3 creatures of the same kind from the 2nd-level list, or 1d4+1 creatures of the same kind from the 1st-level list.

Summon Monster IV
Level: Brd 4, Clr 4, Sor/Wiz 4
This spell functions like summon monster I, except that you can summon one creature from the 4th-level list, 1d3 creatures of the same kind from the 3rd-level list, or 1d4+1 creatures of the same kind from a lower-level list.

Summon Monster V
Level: Brd 5, Clr 5, Sor/Wiz 5
This spell functions like summon monster I, except that you can summon one creature from the 5th-level list, 1d3 creatures of the same kind from the 4th-level list, or 1d4+1 creatures of the same kind from a lower-level list.

Summon Monster VI
Level: Brd 6, Clr 6, Sor/Wiz 6
This spell functions like summon monster I, except you can summon one creature from the 6th-level list, 1d3 creatures of the same kind from the 5th-level list, or 1d4+1 creatures of the same kind from a lower-level list.

Summon Monster VII
Level: Clr 7, Sor/Wiz 7
This spell functions like summon monster I, except that you can summon one creature from the 7th-level list, 1d3 creatures of the same kind from the 6th-level list, or 1d4+1 creatures of the same kind from a lower-level list.

Summon Monster VIII
Level: Clr 8, Sor/Wiz 8
This spell functions like summon monster I, except that you can summon one creature from the 8th-level list, 1d3 creatures of the same kind from the 7th-level list, or 1d4+1 creatures of the same kind from a lower-level list.

Summon Monster IX
Level: Chaos 9, Clr 9, Evil 9, Good 9, Law 9, Sor/Wiz 9
This spell functions like summon monster I, except that you can summon one creature from the 9th-level list, 1d3 creatures of the same kind from the 8th-level list, or 1d4+1 creatures of the same kind from a lower-level list.

Summon Monster

1st Level

Celestial dog
LG
Celestial owl
LG
Celestial giant fire beetle
NG
Celestial porpoise1
NG
Celestial badger
CG
Celestial monkey
CG
Fiendish dire rat
LE
Fiendish raven
LE
Fiendish monstrous centipede, Medium
NE
Fiendish monstrous scorpion, Small
NE
Fiendish hawk
CE
Fiendish monstrous spider, Small
CE
Fiendish octopus1
CE
Fiendish snake, Small viper
CE
2nd Level

Celestial giant bee
LG
Celestial giant bombardier beetle
NG
Celestial riding dog
NG
Celestial eagle
CG
Lemure (devil)
LE
Fiendish squid1
LE
Fiendish wolf
LE
Fiendish monstrous centipede, Large
NE
Fiendish monstrous scorpion, Medium
NE
Fiendish shark, Medium1
NE
Fiendish monstrous spider, Medium
CE
Fiendish snake, Medium viper
CE
3rd Level

Celestial black bear
LG
Celestial bison
NG
Celestial dire badger
CG
Celestial hippogriff
CG
Elemental, Small (any)
N
Fiendish ape
LE
Fiendish dire weasel
LE
Hell hound
LE
Fiendish snake, constrictor LE

Fiendish boar
NE
Fiendish dire bat
NE
Fiendish monstrous centipede, Huge
NE
Fiendish crocodile
CE
Dretch (demon)
CE
Fiendish snake, Large viper
CE
Fiendish wolverine
CE
4th Level

Archon, lantern
LG
Celestial giant owl
LG
Celestial giant eagle
CG
Celestial lion
CG
Mephit (any)
N
Fiendish dire wolf
LE
Fiendish giant wasp
LE
Fiendish giant praying mantis
NE
Fiendish shark, Large1
NE
Yeth hound
NE
Fiendish monstrous spider, Large
CE
Fiendish snake, Huge viper
CE
Howler
CE
5th Level

Archon, hound
LG
Celestial brown bear
LG
Celestial giant stag beetle
NG
Celestial sea cat1
NG
Celestial griffon
CG
Elemental, Medium (any)
N
Achaierai
LE
Devil, bearded
LE
Fiendish deinonychus
LE
Fiendish dire ape
LE
Fiendish dire boar
NE
Fiendish shark, Huge
NE
Fiendish monstrous scorpion, Large
NE
Shadow mastiff
NE
Fiendish dire wolverine
CE
Fiendish giant crocodile
CE
Fiendish tiger
CE
6th Level

Celestial polar bear
LG
Celestial orca whale1
NG
Bralani (eladrin)
CG
Celestial dire lion
CG
Elemental, Large (any)
N
Janni (genie)
N
Chaos beast
CN
Devil, chain
LE
Xill
LE
Fiendish monstrous centipede, Gargantuan
NE
Fiendish rhinoceros
NE
Fiendish elasmosaurus1
CE
Fiendish monstrous spider, Huge
CE
Fiendish snake, giant constrictor
CE
7th Level

Celestial elephant
LG
Avoral (guardinal)
NG
Celestial baleen whale1
NG
Djinni (genie)
CG
Elemental, Huge (any)
N
Invisible stalker
N
Devil, bone
LE
Fiendish megaraptor
LE
Fiendish monstrous scorpion, Huge
NE
Babau (demon)
CE
Fiendish giant octopus1
CE
Fiendish girallon
CE
8th Level

Celestial dire bear
LG
Celestial cachalot whale1
NG
Celestial triceratops
NG
Lillend
CG
Elemental, greater (any)
N
Fiendish giant squid1
LE
Hellcat
LE
Fiendish monstrous centipede, Colossal
NE
Fiendish dire tiger
CE
Fiendish monstrous spider, Gargantuan
CE
Fiendish tyrannosaurus
CE
Vrock (demon)
CE
9th Level

Couatl
LG
Leonal (guardinal)
NG
Celestial roc
CG
Elemental, elder (any)
N
Devil, barbed
LE
Fiendish dire shark1
NE
Fiendish monstrous scorpion, Gargantuan
NE
Night hag
NE
Bebilith (demon)
CE
Fiendish monstrous spider, Colossal
CE
Hezrou (demon)
CE
1 May be summoned only into an aquatic or watery environment.

Summon Nature’s Ally I
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level: Drd 1, Rgr 1
Components: V, S, DF
Effect: One summoned creature
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
This spell summons a natural creature. It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. It attacks your opponents to the best of its ability. If you can communicate with the creature, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions.
A summoned monster cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature, nor can it use any teleportation or planar travel abilities. Creatures cannot be summoned into an environment that cannot support them.
The spell conjures one of the creatures from the 1st-level list on the accompanying Summon Nature’s Ally table. You choose which kind of creature to summon, and you can change that choice each time you cast the spell. All the creatures on the table are neutral unless otherwise noted.

Summon Nature’s Ally II
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level: Drd 2, Rgr 2
Effect: One or more creatures, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
This spell functions like summon nature’s ally I, except that you can summon one 2nd-level creature or 1d3 1st-level creatures of the same kind.

Summon Nature’s Ally III
Level: Drd 3, Rgr 3
This spell functions like summon nature’s ally I, except that you can summon one 3rd-level creature, 1d3 2nd-level creatures of the same kind, or 1d4+1 1st-level creatures of the same kind.
When you use a summoning spell to summon an air, chaotic, earth, evil, fire, good, lawful, or water creature, it is a spell of that type.
Summon Nature’s Ally IV
Level: Animal 4, Drd 4, Rgr 4
This spell functions like summon nature’s ally I, except that you can summon one 4th-level creature, 1d3 3rd-level creatures of the same kind, or 1d4+1 lower-level creatures of the same kind.

Summon Nature’s Ally V
Level: Drd 5
This spell functions like summon nature’s ally I, except that you can summon one 5th-level creature, 1d3 4th-level creatures of the same kind, or 1d4+1 lower-level creatures of the same kind.

Summon Nature’s Ally VI
Level: Drd 6
This spell functions like summon nature’s ally I, except that you can summon one 6th-level creature, 1d3 5th-level creatures of the same kind, or 1d4+1 lower-level creatures of the same kind.

Summon Nature’s Ally VII
Level: Drd 7
This spell functions like summon nature’s ally I, except that you can summon one 7th-level creature, 1d3 6th-level creatures of the same kind, or 1d4+1 lower-level creatures of the same kind.

Summon Nature’s Ally VIII
Level: Animal 8, Drd 8
This spell functions like summon nature’s ally I, except that you can summon one 8th-level creature, 1d3 7th-level creatures of the same kind, or 1d4+1 lower-level creatures of the same kind.

Summon Nature’s Ally IX
Level: Drd 9
This spell functions like summon nature’s ally I, except that you can summon one 9th-level creature, 1d3 8th-level creatures of the same kind, or 1d4+1 lower-level creatures of the same kind.

Summon Nature’s Ally
1st Level
Dire rat
Eagle (animal)
Monkey (animal)
Octopus1(animal)
Owl (animal)
Porpoise1(animal)
Snake, Small viper (animal)
Wolf (animal)
2nd Level
Bear, black (animal)
Crocodile (animal)
Dire badger
Dire bat
Elemental, Small (any)
Hippogriff
Shark, Medium1(animal)
Snake, Medium viper (animal)
Squid1(animal)
Wolverine (animal)
3rd Level
Ape (animal)
Dire weasel
Dire wolf
Eagle, giant [NG]
Lion
Owl, giant [NG]
Satyr [CN; without pipes]
Shark, Large1(animal)
Snake, constrictor (animal)
Snake, Large viper (animal)
Thoqqua
4th Level
Arrowhawk, juvenile
Bear, brown (animal)
Crocodile, giant (animal)
Deinonychus (dinosaur)
Dire ape
Dire boar
Dire wolverine
Elemental, Medium (any)
Salamander, flamebrother [NE]
Sea cat1
Shark, Huge1(animal)
Snake, Huge viper (animal)
Tiger (animal)
Tojanida, juvenile1
Unicorn [CG]
Xorn, minor
5th Level
Arrowhawk, adult
Bear, polar (animal)
Dire lion
Elasmosaurus1(dinosaur)
Elemental, Large (any)
Griffon
Janni (genie)
Rhinoceros (animal)
Satyr [CN; with pipes]
Snake, giant constrictor (animal)
Nixie (sprite)
Tojanida, adult1
Whale, orca1(animal)
6th Level
Dire bear
Elemental, Huge (any)
Elephant (animal)
Girallon
Megaraptor (dinosaur)
Octopus, giant1(animal)
Pixie* (sprite) [NG; no special arrows]
Salamander, average [NE]
Whale, baleen1
Xorn, average
*Can’t cast irresistible dance
7th Level
Arrowhawk, elder
Dire tiger
Elemental, greater (any)
Djinni (genie) [NG]
Invisible stalker
Pixie* (sprite) [NG; with sleep arrows]
Squid, giant1(animal)
Triceratops (dinosaur)
Tyrannosaurus (dinosaur)
Whale, cachalot1(animal)
Xorn, elder
*Can’t cast irresistible dance
8th Level
Dire shark1
Roc
Salamander, noble [NE]
Tojanida, elder
9th Level
Elemental, elder
Grig [NG; with fiddle] (sprite)
Pixie* (sprite) [NG; with sleep and memory loss arrows]
Unicorn, celestial charger
*Can cast irresistible dance
1 May be summoned only into an aquatic or watery environment.

Summon Swarm
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level: Brd 2, Drd 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M/DF
Effect: One swarm of bats, rats, or spiders
Duration: Concentration + 2 rounds
You summon a swarm of bats, rats, or spiders (your choice), which attacks all other creatures within its area. (You may summon the swarm so that it shares the area of other creatures.) If no living creatures are within its area, the swarm attacks or pursues the nearest creature as best it can. The caster has no control over its target or direction of travel.
Arcane Material Component: A square of red cloth.

Sunbeam
Evocation [Light]
Level: Drd 7, Sun 7
Components: V, S, DF
Range: 60 ft.
Area: Line from your hand
Duration: 1 round/level or until all beams are exhausted
Saving Throw: Reflex negates and Reflex half; see text
For the duration of this spell, you can use a standard action to evoke a dazzling beam of intense light each round. You can call forth one beam per three caster levels (maximum six beams at 18th level). The spell ends when its duration runs out or your allotment of beams is exhausted.
Each creature in the beam is blinded and takes 4d6 points of damage. Any creatures to which sunlight is harmful or unnatural take double damage. A successful Reflex save negates the blindness and reduces the damage by half.
An undead creature caught within the beam takes 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 20d6), or half damage if a Reflex save is successful. In addition, the beam results in the destruction of any undead creature specifically harmed by bright light if it fails its save.
The ultraviolet light generated by the spell deals damage to fungi, mold, oozes, and slimes just as if they were undead creatures.

Sunburst
Evocation [Light]
Level: Drd 8, Sor/Wiz 8, Sun 8
Components: V, S, M/DF
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 80-ft.-radius burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex partial; see text
Sunburst causes a globe of searing radiance to explode silently from a point you select. All creatures in the globe are blinded and take 6d6 points of damage. A creature to which sunlight is harmful or unnatural takes double damage. A successful Reflex save negates the blindness and reduces the damage by half.
An undead creature caught within the globe takes 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 25d6), or half damage if a Reflex save is successful. In addition, the burst results in the destruction of any undead creature specifically harmed by bright light if it fail its save.
The ultraviolet light generated by the spell deals damage to fungi, mold, oozes, and slimes just as if they were undead creatures.
Sunburst dispels any darkness spells of lower than 9th level within its area.
Arcane Material Component: A piece of sunstone and a naked flame.

Symbol of Death
Necromancy [Death]
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: 0 ft.; see text
Effect: One symbol
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
This spell allows you to scribe a potent rune of power upon a surface. When triggered, a symbol of death slays one or more creatures within 60 feet of the symbol (treat as a burst) whose combined total current hit points do not exceed 150. The symbol of death affects the closest creatures first, skipping creatures with too many hit points to affect. Once triggered, the symbol becomes active and glows, lasting for 10 minutes per caster level or until it has affected 150 hit points’ worth of creatures, whichever comes first. Any creature that enters the area while the symbol of death is active is subject to its effect, whether or not that creature was in the area when it was triggered. A creature need save against the symbol only once as long as it remains within the area, though if it leaves the area and returns while the symbol is still active, it must save again.
Until it is triggered, the symbol of death is inactive (though visible and legible at a distance of 60 feet). To be effective, a symbol of death must always be placed in plain sight and in a prominent location. Covering or hiding the rune renders the symbol of death ineffective, unless a creature removes the covering, in which case the symbol of death works normally.
As a default, a symbol of death is triggered whenever a creature does one or more of the following, as you select: looks at the rune; reads the rune; touches the rune; passes over the rune; or passes through a portal bearing the rune. Regardless of the trigger method or methods chosen, a creature more than 60 feet from a symbol of death can’t trigger it (even if it meets one or more of the triggering conditions, such as reading the rune). Once the spell is cast, a symbol of death’s triggering conditions cannot be changed.
In this case, “reading” the rune means any attempt to study it, identify it, or fathom its meaning. Throwing a cover over a symbol of death to render it inoperative triggers it if the symbol reacts to touch. You can’t use a symbol of death offensively; for instance, a touch-triggered symbol of death remains untriggered if an item bearing the symbol of death is used to touch a creature. Likewise, a symbol of death cannot be placed on a weapon and set to activate when the weapon strikes a foe.
You can also set special triggering limitations of your own. These can be as simple or elaborate as you desire. Special conditions for triggering a symbol of death can be based on a creature’s name, identity, or alignment, but otherwise must be based on observable actions or qualities. Intangibles such as level, class, Hit Dice, and hit points don’t qualify.
When scribing a symbol of death, you can specify a password or phrase that prevents a creature using it from triggering the effect. Anyone using the password remains immune to that particular rune’s effects so long as the creature remains within 60 feet of the rune. If the creature leaves the radius and returns later, it must use the password again.
You also can attune any number of creatures to the symbol of death, but doing this can extend the casting time. Attuning one or two creatures takes negligible time, and attuning a small group (as many as ten creatures) extends the casting time to 1 hour. Attuning a large group (as many as twenty-five creatures) takes 24 hours. Attuning larger groups takes proportionately longer. Any creature attuned to a symbol of death cannot trigger it and is immune to its effects, even if within its radius when triggered. You are automatically considered attuned to your own symbols of death, and thus always ignore the effects and cannot inadvertently trigger them.
Read magic allows you to identify a symbol of death with a DC 19 Spellcraft check. Of course, if the symbol of death is set to be triggered by reading it, this will trigger the symbol.
A symbol of death can be removed by a successful dispel magic targeted solely on the rune. An erase spell has no effect on a symbol of death. Destruction of the surface where a symbol of death is inscribed destroys the symbol but also triggers it.
Symbol of death can be made permanent with a permanency spell. A permanent symbol of death that is disabled or that has affected its maximum number of hit points becomes inactive for 10 minutes, then can be triggered again as normal.
Note: Magic traps such as symbol of death are hard to detect and disable. A rogue (only) can use the Search skill to find a symbol of death and Disable Device to thwart it. The DC in each case is 25 + spell level, or 33 for symbol of death.
Material Component: Mercury and phosphorus, plus powdered diamond and opal with a total value of at least 5,000 gp each.

Symbol of Fear
Necromancy [Fear, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Clr 6, Sor/Wiz 6
This spell functions like symbol of death, except that all creatures within 60 feet of the symbol of fear instead become panicked for 1 round per caster level.
Note: Magic traps such as symbol of fear are hard to detect and disable. A rogue (only) can use the Search skill to find a symbol of fear and Disable Device to thwart it. The DC in each case is 25 + spell level, or 31 for symbol of fear.
Material Component: Mercury and phosphorus, plus powdered diamond and opal with a total value of at least 1,000 gp.

Symbol of Insanity
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
This spell functions like symbol of death, except that all creatures within the radius of the symbol of insanity instead become permanently insane (as the insanity spell).
Unlike symbol of death, symbol of insanity has no hit point limit; once triggered, a symbol of insanity simply remains active for 10 minutes per caster level.
Note: Magic traps such as symbol of insanity are hard to detect and disable. A rogue (only) can use the Search skill to find a symbol of insanity and Disable Device to thwart it. The DC in each case is 25 + spell level, or 33 for symbol of insanity.
Material Component: Mercury and phosphorus, plus powdered diamond and opal with a total value of at least 5,000 gp.

Symbol of Pain
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Clr 5, Sor/Wiz 5
This spell functions like symbol of death, except that each creature within the radius of a symbol of pain instead suffers wracking pains that impose a –4 penalty on attack rolls, skill checks, and ability checks. These effects last for 1 hour after the creature moves farther than 60 feet from the symbol.
Unlike symbol of death, symbol of pain has no hit point limit; once triggered, a symbol of pain simply remains active for 10 minutes per caster level.
Note: Magic traps such as symbol of pain are hard to detect and disable. A rogue (only) can use the Search skill to find a symbol of pain and Disable Device to thwart it. The DC in each case is 25 + spell level, or 30 for symbol of pain.
Material Component: Mercury and phosphorus, plus powdered diamond and opal with a total value of at least 1,000 gp.

Symbol of Persuasion
Enchantment (Charm) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Clr 6, Sor/Wiz 6
This spell functions like symbol of death, except that all creatures within the radius of a symbol of persuasion instead become charmed by the caster (as the charm monster spell) for 1 hour per caster level.
Unlike symbol of death, symbol of persuasion has no hit point limit; once triggered, a symbol of persuasion simply remains active for 10 minutes per caster level.
Note: Magic traps such as symbol of persuasion are hard to detect and disable. A rogue (only) can use the Search skill to find a symbol of persuasion and Disable Device to thwart it. The DC in each case is 25 + spell level, or 31 for symbol of persuasion.
Material Component: Mercury and phosphorus, plus powdered diamond and opal with a total value of at least 5,000 gp.

Symbol of Sleep
Level: Clr 5, Sor/Wiz 5
This spell functions like symbol of death, except that all creatures of 10 HD or less within 60 feet of the symbol of sleep instead fall into a catatonic slumber for 3d6x10 minutes. Unlike with the sleep spell, sleeping creatures cannot be awakened by nonmagical means before this time expires.
Unlike symbol of death, symbol of sleep has no hit point limit; once triggered, a symbol of sleep simply remains active for 10 minutes per caster level.
Note: Magic traps such as symbol of sleep are hard to detect and disable. A rogue (only) can use the Search skill to find a symbol of sleep and Disable Device to thwart it. The DC in each case is 25 + spell level, or 30 for symbol of sleep.

Symbol of Stunning
This spell functions like symbol of death, except that all creatures within 60 feet of a symbol of stunning instead become stunned for 1d6 rounds.
Note: Magic traps such as symbol of stunning are hard to detect and disable. A rogue (only) can use the Search skill to find a symbol of stunning and Disable Device to thwart it. The DC in each case is 25 + spell level, or 32 for symbol of stunning.

Symbol of Weakness
Necromancy
This spell functions like symbol of death, except that every creature within 60 feet of a symbol of weakness instead suffers crippling weakness that deals 3d6 points of Strength damage.
Unlike symbol of death, symbol of weakness has no hit point limit; once triggered, a symbol of weakness simply remains active for 10 minutes per caster level.
Note: Magic traps such as symbol of weakness are hard to detect and disable. A rogue (only) can use the Search skill to find a symbol of weakness and Disable Device to thwart it. The DC in each case is 25 + spell level, or 32 for symbol of weakness.

Sympathetic Vibration
Evocation [Sonic]
Level: Brd 6
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Touch
Target: One freestanding structure
Duration: Up to 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None; see text
By attuning yourself to a freestanding structure such you can create a damaging vibration within it. Once it begins, the vibration deals 2d10 points of damage per round to the target structure. (Hardness has no effect on the spell’s damage.) You can choose at the time of casting to limit the duration of the spell; otherwise it lasts for 1 round/ level. If the spell is cast upon a target that is not freestanding the surrounding stone dissipates the effect and no damage occurs.
Sympathetic vibration cannot affect creatures (including constructs). Since a structure is an unattended object, it gets no saving throw to resist the effect.
Focus: A tuning fork.

Sympathy
Level: Drd 9, Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 hour
Target: One location (up to a 10-ft. cube/level) or one object
Duration: 2 hours/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates; see text
You cause an object or location to emanate magical vibrations that attract either a specific kind of intelligent creature or creatures of a particular alignment, as defined by you. The particular kind of creature to be affected must be named specifically. A creature subtype is not specific enough. Likewise, the specific alignment must be named.
Creatures of the specified kind or alignment feel elated and pleased to be in the area or desire to touch or to possess the object. The compulsion to stay in the area or touch the object is overpowering. If the save is successful, the creature is released from the enchantment, but a subsequent save must be made 1d6x10 minutes later. If this save fails, the affected creature attempts to return to the area or object.
Sympathy counters and dispels antipathy.
Material Component: 1,500 gp worth of crushed pearls and a drop of honey.

Remove ads