• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

spells that lost popularity in 3.0/3.5

papakee

First Post
I was thinking that there used to be a bunch of spells I would always have a PC memorize in 1st edition, that I never do anymore. I'm not really talking about nerfed spells, just those that aren't used any more. I've never cast unseen servant or Tensor's floating disc in 3.0. Other spells I remember using alot are animate dead, levitate, gust of wind. Is there any others out there than can remember as staple in 1st/2nd ed, but not any longer.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
I've seen unseen servant get used a good few times in 3.x. Most recently to clear out a really dodgy looking treasure room that none of us wanted to set foot in. The 100lbs dragging power is really quite impressive. :)

Ones that spring to mind as getting less use nowadays are: Heat Metal, Permenancy and the Hold Person line of spells...

Shade

Monster Junkie
Fireball. Unless you've got some form of energy substitution, fire is the least likely energy type to actually damage a creature.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
We've been using Tenser's Floating Disk quite a bit lately...for carrying dead party members. In general, I'd say the same spells get used about the same amount, except of course for the ones that didn't get carried over (oh, where are you, Faerie Fire?).

Lanefan

kenobi65

First Post
Lanefan said:
oh, where are you, Faerie Fire

Ummmm...still on the druid spell list?

Faerie fire is one that isn't as useful as it used to be. I remember, back in 1E, it was a standard buff-like spell (since it gave an actual bonus to attack rolls, regardless of lighting conditions). Now, it's only useful in certain circumstances.

I don't use levitate nearly as often as I feel like I used to in earlier editions, either.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Re: Faerie Fire
kenobi65 said:
Ummmm...still on the druid spell list?
Did they put it back in 3.5, then? It's sure not in 3.0, which is what I play; our DM had to houserule it back in, along with a pile of other spells that mysteriously vanished.

Lanefan

heirodule

First Post
Sleep. too many nerfs.

Fireball too. Everything has a con bonus now. Too hard to damage stuff.

Invisibility Circle. No reason. Just don't use it much.

On the whole I'd say there are more spells I'm using more than using less.

Victim

First Post
Sleep has largely been replaced by Color Spray for mook KOing action. Hold Person is one of the nerfed spells, but still sees some use - dropping from a max of 4 targets to only one guy (who now gets a save every round to escape) is a big hit.

Fly seems to have largely replaced levitate in common useage.

I think Permanency sees more use now - it's 5th level instead of 8th after all.

Umm, Faerie Fire exists in both 3.0 and 3.5.

Remove ads