• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spells to protect items?

Does anyone know any spells/effects that can be used to protect items (mundane or magical)? I'm thinking of something along the lines of fireproofing a book or clothing, or toughening an item up (perhaps increasing hardness or hp?).

Scharlata

First Post
Ogrork the Mighty said:
Does anyone know any spells/effects that can be used to protect items (mundane or magical)? I'm thinking of something along the lines of fireproofing a book or clothing, or toughening an item up (perhaps increasing hardness or hp?).

Hi!
Reeling back into the Forgotten Realms: Magic of Faerûn, I stumbled upon pages 173-174: Protecting Spellbooks.

There are several protective measures, such as Resistance 5 or 12 against energy, or disguising it at something else, or levitating it, or waterproofing it, or spelltrapping it.

You could extend these protective measure to other items as well.

Another way to protect objects seems to be the enhancing procedure of dwarvencraft items as described in the Races of stone, page 159. It only functions with metal items giving them a +2 bonus on saving throws and an enhancement of hardness of 2 points. The good thing, theses bonuses stack with all other bonuses.

If you're looking to protect walls, look into the DMG, page 59: Special Walls, Magically Treated Walls.

Kind regards

Last edited:

Scion

First Post
there is a spell in eberron called 'hardening'. It adds 1 point of hardness to something for every 2 caster levels, not too shabby!

Also, I have always treated any protective spells on a person as also effecting their equipment. So, if they have a spell up giving them fire res 15 then all of their equipment is protected by it as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads