• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spells using a Point Pool?

crossfirecreek

First Post
The guy might be one of those people who have no friends and nothing really interesting or engaging to talk to people about, so he makes things up. Some people make a habit out of lying about things for no other reason then to have someone to impress.

Or, since he works at the store, maybe he is trying to turn you away from 4e so you will keep buying all the 3.5 stuff still on shelf.

Warbringer

Explorer
MerricB said:
Mostly it was the book which demonstrated how horrible a lot of requested concepts were: spell points, armour-as-DR, facing, etc.

Cheers!

Explain? I had very different experiences with all three of elements... though gestalt got a little mucg=h, but's that more to do with the design of 3e that gestalt character build

glass said:
You can take away my Vancian magic when you pull it from my cold dead hand! :D

Shut up Vecna! Why don't you just die already???

MerricB said:
Mostly it was the book which demonstrated how horrible a lot of requested concepts were: spell points, armour-as-DR, facing, etc.

On a more serious tone, I agree that armor-as-dr doesn't scale well, that facing introduces a lot of unwanted complexity, but what is the problem with spell points?

I mean, as long as everybody in the party uses them (instead of mixing-matching slots and points), whats the problem?

Last edited:

3catcircus

Adventurer
Wormwood said:
Sounds interesting.

Non-Vancian magic would probably look like a spell pool. Fantastic!

Sacred cows don't matter to me, so ... whatever.

Hmm - why would it have to be a spell pool? Why not use a mechanic similar to HARP - every spell is a skill that can be improved to make bigger and better effects?

Remove ads