• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spells vs DR question

borc killer

First Post
Sorry to ask this as I am sure it is in the RAW, but I don’t have any books around and I probably won’t until the next time I DM so wanted to get this cleared up.

So my players fought a Titan last weekend yes the one in the Age of Worms and I had a question about its DR (lawful/15). I know that DR does not reduce damage from spells but what about spells that act as weapons? Specifically the wizard was using Orb of Force (from the Complete Spell Compendium) which is a range touch attack with no spell resistance or save. Would the DR apply to this? I did not apply it during the fight as I did not want to take the time to check but I would like to find out before we play this weekend.

On another note does anyone else think Orb of Force is CRAZY good for a 4th level spell? It is basically 10d6 every round with no save no miss chance and no spell resistance and no way to reduce the damage.

Anyway… they ended up having to flee the fight as I played the encounter really tough and I think the wizard might be at the wrong end of a meter swarm if she starts the Orbs up again.

hong

WotC's bitch
DR doesn't affect spells, with a few possible exceptions (eg blade barrier, which creates physical blades that hit people).

Yes, the orb spells are too powerful. Still, 10d6 per round isn't that much at the level where you're fighting titans.

mvincent

Explorer
hong said:
DR doesn't affect spells, with a few possible exceptions (eg blade barrier, which creates physical blades that hit people).
Blade barrier damage is still considered spell damage and thus not subject to DR. Same with Black tentacles, etc.

From the 3.5 FAQ:
"How do spells like Evard’s black tentacles and ice storm
affect a creature with damage reduction overcome by magic
and bludgeoning? Do the tentacles and hailstones deal
magical bludgeoning damage?

Any damage dealt by a spell or other magical effect is
unaffected by damage reduction."

Jhaelen

First Post
mvincent said:
unaffected by damage reduction."[/SIZE][/I]
Yup. Psionic powers, however, ARE affected by DR (at least if you use/believe the clarification in Complete Psionic).

3d6

Explorer
Damage reduction allows the creature to "ignore [a certain amount of] damage from most weapons and natural attacks". It doesn't apply to anything else.

Kurashu

First Post
Jhaelen said:
Yup. Psionic powers, however, ARE affected by DR (at least if you use/believe the clarification in Complete Psionic).

That's something I never understood. My magic missle will blow right pass your DR 10/- but my Energy Missle won't.

Where's The Fudge mate?

mvincent

Explorer
Kurashu said:
That's something I never understood. My magic missle will blow right pass your DR 10/- but my Energy Missle won't.
DR doesn't stop energy (i.e. cold, electricity, fire, sonic, etc.)... even if it is non-magical.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
I've always wanted to house rule in that force effects are just like physical attacks. They are affected by DR. But since they are spells they are considered from a magic effect and will bypass DR X/Magic.

mvincent

Explorer
Ahrimon said:
I've always wanted to house rule in that force effects are just like physical attacks. They are affected by DR. But since they are spells they are considered from a magic effect and will bypass DR X/Magic.
Note that things like magic missile and explosive runes are force effects. It could seem odd for them be be affected by DR.

hong

WotC's bitch
mvincent said:
Blade barrier damage is still considered spell damage and thus not subject to DR. Same with Black tentacles, etc.

From the 3.5 FAQ:
"How do spells like Evard’s black tentacles and ice storm
affect a creature with damage reduction overcome by magic
and bludgeoning? Do the tentacles and hailstones deal
magical bludgeoning damage?

unaffected by damage reduction."
I'm pretty sure there was a thread in here debating whether blade barrier was affected by DR. A long thread.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads