• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spellthief & UMD with wands

VariSami

First Post
We'll start playing a Tier 3-4 (4th tier characters get 4 extra points in point buy) campaign this friday. Today I started creating my character, a Wild Elf Spellthief. The wild elf part is simply because they happen to be in war with a magocracy in the campaign world and I wanted to play something other than a human (or a freak) for a change. Besides, it gives me profiency with a shortbow.

Since I'm not a human and a wild elf takes a hit in his intelligence, I'm not exactly drowning in skill points. I'm also the group's locksmith. Since we're starting at level 1, I don't get immediate access to Knock and I'll need to spend points in Open Lock, Search and Disable Device for sure. That's already 3/7 skills to maximize. I'm thinking of going with the stealth pair as well (Hide + Move Silently). That'd be 5/7 in case I do. It'd help with scout duty and infiltration since I don't have immediate access to Invisibility and Silence. The rest are still quite open: I'm thinking Spellcraft because it makes sense to be able to identify spells if you're going against a wizard in an immersion heavy campaign (as in, we won't probably be told too much about what they're doing without the skill). I'm still thinking whether or not to pick that since I'd probably need Concentration and Tumble might be a good investment (even if I'm on archer duty).

Which brings me to Use Magic Device. The skill's a no-brainer in case I need it to use sorcerer/wizard wands. However, I get access to sorcerer-wizard spells of up to 4th level (the same as wands) at some point. As in, a spell list with those spells available. RAW, I think I won't need to use UMD to activate arcane wands or level 1-4 arcane scrolls. But am I reading into this right?

Oh, and since I started the topic: do you think Hide and Move Silently will be all that useful? It's hard for me to imagine a rogue-type (other than charlatans) without them but then again, it's not a typical rogue we're talking about. If I chose to ignore them, that'd easily give me access to Concentration and Tumble.

Edit: I found a mention about this in a handbook. Great. Then again, I also found out that the Spellthief only has access to a limited number of schools. Not so great. Luckily this is no optimization heavy campaign as far as I can tell. And it'd be hard anyway: we're only allowed access to Complete Arcane/Adventurer/Warrior/Divine, the core books and Player's Handbook II. Oh, and Tome of Battle.

So, I'm thinking:
Open Lock, Search, Disable Device, Hide, Move Silently, Spellcraft, Concentration. I'd only use UMB for wands anyway, and we still have a Bard with the skill. I suppose I'll just have to trust the character's elven senses to spot trouble.

Last edited:

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Since, as you already pointed out, some of these skills can and likely will be replaced by spells shortly, I'd suggest you not invest to strongly in those.

If it's any help, I've made a thread that may help a caster character make choices about what skills are worth investing in Here.

Do you know what the other players are making? If someone else can fill a niche, then you don't have to.

VariSami

First Post
The party's already assembled and it's my spellthief, a bard and a warblade. I did invest in the "replaceable" skills for now since our DM is one that would punish for planning too far ahead. He's made it very clear that he would prefer us not to reach higher levels (and whenever a character dies, the new one starts at level 1 - survivability is pro since I'd just quit at that point to boycott the idea).

On our first session I already dropped to -3 but managed to instantly stabilize. It was great fun, though, and I'm clearly more interested in ropelyaing the character than optimizing him. I catulayy got very irritated at the DM who kept spouting meta-knowledge though he had promised to make the games more immersing. Off to a good start, though.

VariSami

First Post
The party's already assembled and it's my spellthief, a bard and a warblade. I did invest in the "replaceable" skills for now since our DM is one that would punish for planning too far ahead. He's made it very clear that he would prefer us not to reach higher levels (and whenever a character dies, the new one starts at level 1 - survivability is pro since I'd just quit at that point to boycott the idea).

On our first session I already dropped to -3 but managed to instantly stabilize. It was great fun, though, and I'm clearly more interested in roleplaying the character than optimizing him. I actullay got very irritated at the DM who kept spouting meta-knowledge though he had promised to make the games more immersing. Off to a good start, though.

Remove ads