Spend Power Points to Regain Psionic Focus?

Jack Simth

First Post
I might permit it as a researched 1st level power (1 pp) that takes a standard action to manifest, and a caveat that the Schisimed portion of a mind can't manifest it (that would be way too abuseable if it could, as a Schisimed portion of a mind can't normally focus you). So you could spend a power point and a standard action (and still have a move action left) to regain your focus, with no Concentration Check under normal circumstances (manifesting defensively, distracting situations, and the like still apply as normal for manifesting a power).

Caliban

Rules Monkey
While you can't directly spend PP instead of Psionic Focus, it is possible to use the existing rules to regain your psionic focus more quickly.

There is a feat that allows you to regain your Focus as a Move action instead of a full round action.

There is the Hustle power that gives you an extra move action while you have it active.

There is a feat that allows you to "store" you psionic focus in your Psicrystal (if you have one), and then maintain a second Focus yourself.

Using these abilities, you can regain and spend your Psionic Focus every round, or spend it twice in one round, every other round.

shadowlight

First Post
MatthewJHanson said:
Expending focus is more balanced, because a full-round/move action continues to be just as valiable at high levels as it is at low levels
I think this hits it right on the head. At low levels 1PP for a psi-focus would probably OK, but definitely not at higher levels.

shadowlight

First Post
Caliban said:
While you can't directly spend PP instead of Psionic Focus, it is possible to use the existing rules to regain your psionic focus more quickly.

There is a feat that allows you to regain your Focus as a Move action instead of a full round action.

There is the Hustle power that gives you an extra move action while you have it active.

There is a feat that allows you to "store" you psionic focus in your Psicrystal (if you have one), and then maintain a second Focus yourself.

Using these abilities, you can regain and spend your Psionic Focus every round, or spend it twice in one round, every other round.

I like this a lot. I hadn't thought of using Hustle to regain your focus...

shadowlight

First Post
OK, this post should really be in the House Rules section, but here goes:

There's a feat that lets you store a focus in your psi-crystal. For characters without a psi-crystal, what would you think about a power that let you hold a second focus for a limited time (say 1 hour per level)? What level would that sort of power be? What would you think of scaling it so you could store (but not necessailry expend) multiple foci at higher levels?

Thanks for the feedback!

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
The only way I allow a character to get around the action requirement (other than Hustle, which grants an extra move action) is if they're willing to pay an action point to do it.

No amount of power points is enough, in my opinion.

Remove ads