Spending Experience Points to Buy Feats

Sravoff

First Post
Baron Opal said:
Glad you guys find the null level concept attractive. As far as CR goes, I would guess that each null level would add 1/3 of a character level. That's what I was going for when pricing out the cost. I figured that there are three parts to a class; attack / saves, class abilities and everything else.

Also, I never use null levels for NPCs. It is strictly a PC method to "round out the corners", if you will. My methods of making NPCs has little enough structure that unless it is a major, multiple use NPC I just use a short-hand stat block.
And thank you for bringing it out.

So, every three Null Levels you get will increase your level, affecting Xp by one yes?

Or was that CR bit only for NPC's?

-Sravoff

Storyteller01

First Post
I'm using the system from MGP's 'The Quintessential Gnome'. Players can use XP to buy skill points and feats, but they have to find a book (or academy; this I added as a house rule) from which to learn from. Learnig the skill requires that the character have one skill rank in the chosen skill (books [learning aids] that bypass this cost more). Feats cannot be learned if you don't have the prereqs for them.

Keeps actual XP cost lower at the expense of DM control. If the DM views the feat as too powerful or game breaking, you won't find a book for it. Skiils cannot be learned beyond the class maximum.

PS: Tried a variant that didn't have the choke point. The cost was the characters ECL x 100 xp x (the feats place in a feat chain). So a second level character would spend 200 for dodge, 400 for mobility, etc. Item Creation feats doubled in cost; meta-magic feats tripled.

Game went into some wild extremes. The bard spent a good deal of exp in feats, leaving him behind in the power curve. The sorcerer, while less powerful for the exp spent, still tended to dominate the beginning of combat. All she bought had been Meta-Magic feats, even though they cost 3 times what a general feat would. The ranger, who didn't buy any feats or skills, became the most potent character.

Last edited:

Baron Opal

First Post
Sravoff said:
So, every three Null Levels you get will increase your level, affecting Xp by one yes?

No, you're character level and xp required doesn't change. Similar to making a magic item, the xp for null levels are simply deducted. I have the players keep tract of null levels to a) make sure they only get one null level for each character level, b) give me an idea of how much enhancement they have purchased and c) to know how much xp to charge for the next null level.

I don't have a gp cost for that training, and suggestions are welcome, but I'm not having costs for regular leveling training. Or training time, for that matter. Perhaps the next campaign.

The 3 Null Levels = 1 Class Level = +1 CR is just something to help me balance fights. And, NPCs don't use Null Levels. They're just for PCs. Making NPCs is too easy to bother with such things.

Bihor

First Post
I was thinking to do the same thing, after reading By The Numbers.
I think I would help my players because I don't give them a lot to loot, so they lag behind.

I was thinking to make them roleplay for ther extra feats (find a teacher or a school).

But the price in XP alwas bothered me.

Harkonnen

First Post
If you're going to have them buy feats and maybe skills, why not consider making the game levelless, and have the PCs spend XP on everything - hit points, attack bonus, ability score increase? Of course then you have the problem of matching critter CR to party strength :\ .
Ironically, I have the same idea of allowing characters to use XP to increase their ability scores. In 5th edition, every 4 levels of character advancement, a character receives either an additional 2 pts. to their ability scores, or acquire new feats. I don't like the idea of being able to add 2 pts. to your ability scores just for advancing 4 more levels. So I allow the characters to receive new feats every 4 levels. Now, I am considering allowing a character to spend XP to increase their ability scores. 1 pt. can be added to any ability score if you spend the equivalent of 2 new levels of XP. Your thoughts, please???

Remove ads