• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sphere of Annihilation - Use in War?

fredramsey

First Post
Any guess as to how effective a Sphere of Annihilation would be in a mass battle?

I'm using the mass battle rules from AEG's Empire, but I was just wanting to get some opinions on how powerful one Sphere would be in a war setting, given the limitations on control, movement of the sphere, etc.

Thanks!

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
In a mass battle, I think it would be more useful for a terror weapon than for it's actual damage. You'd run it into the enemy ranks, kill a couple dozen guys, and then everybody runs away from it. However, for the time and resources it takes to get and control a sphere, I'd say you'd be better off with a big fantastic creature of some kind. Everybody would be just as afraid of a dragon or some giants, and they'd probably inflict greater casualties.

Now I'm not saying a sphere isn't good. For destroying siege fortifications, dams, or stuff like that, you can't do much better.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Hm. It's a little slow: It moves 10', plus 5' per 5 points you rolled over 30 on the Control Check (d20 + lvl + IntMod). Also, you need to stay within 40' of it and spend a move action every round for the Control Check.

Thus, it's not an army-killer. However, if you use it carefully, you can make stationary enemy units move away and such, giving your side a certain tactical advantage in some situations.
It's great against castles and other structures, though. Probably against siege weapons, too, if you can get close enough; they generally can't exactly move out of the way before you destroy them...

Henry

Autoexreginated
In my opinion, no one in their right mind would use a SoA on the battlefield, because it can be controlled by more than one user. It's like having a division of remote-controlled Abrams Tanks - and both armies have working remote controls. :eek:

JoeGKushner

First Post
I think it's the complete arcane that in essence has a 9th level spell version of this magic item.

As far as on the battlefield... a lot of that's going to depend on the caster controlling it. Is he going to use it openly, or reserve it as something to take out siege weapons, towers and other large things?

Another part is how fantastic is the battlefield? Are we talking about 1st-3rd level troops of human(oid) descent with little innate magic or are we talking about the war of dragons and genies?

fredramsey

First Post
The movement of the sphere is the big stumbling block here, I agree.

Hmm. Guess I need to find something else to drop into that dungeon.

JimAde

First Post
Strangely, I think it would be more effective in the latter case. When you're facing a small number of big, dangerous creatures, eliminating one of them is a big deal. When you're faced with 200 footmen, most of them won't even see the sphere, much less be hurt by it.

By the way, the control range is 40 feet + 10 feet per character level, so if you're a 10th-level character it's a little more useful tactically. YOu still have to be well within bow/spell range, though.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Henry said:
In my opinion, no one in their right mind would use a SoA on the battlefield, because it can be controlled by more than one user.
Ah, that's a good point. I was vaguely assuming a talisman of the sphere was required to command one but actually it only increases your check...

Just cast an illusion around it of something vulbnerable-seeming, like yourself. Have the illusionary you standing in the battlefield surrounded by token illusionary resistance (to make it plausible), cast some spells, and wait for them to rush to overpower the mage before he destroys them.

It's too slow to chase after them -- make them chase after you.

Remove ads