• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spider-Man 2 trailer, can there be spoilers?

The_lurkeR

First Post
After the discussion in the Harry Potter thread about spoilers, I was wondering what some people thought about other movie trailers this year?

I saw HP friday where they showed the Spider-Man 2 trailer, and someone in the audience joked when it finished. "Is there any mystery left?" I mean could anyone actually release a spoiler for that movie now? I can't imagine any surprises.

If you haven't seen the trailer it's basically "Spider-Man 2 the movie in 2 minutes" (Or however long it is.) It isn't just a case where they quick action shots, but actually shows dialog scenes that tell the story with it. It's turned me off from seeing the movie because I feel like I've seen it already. :(

It seems to be a growing problem. Pretty much every other trailer they showed that day did the same thing. Anyone else annoyed by that?

stevelabny

Explorer
bah.
this has ALWAYS been a problem
if anything in recent years trailers have IMPROVED by having some not give everything away. Every old trailer used to give EVERYTHING away.
then of course you have some truly awful trailers liker Fight Club which gives you NO CLUE that the movie is much more than a simple Brad Pitt street boxing movie.

The trailer for Shrek 2 shows that
Donkey turns into a horse
which i thought they shoulda kept under wraps. But since they kept the secret of
"human" Shrek I can understand and sorta forgive them.

As for the Spidey 2 trailer (which I will assume everyone reading this thread has seen) I've stated in its original thread that I highly doubt its Peter under the mask when "Spider-man" is delivered to Harry. Best guess is that its "Spideys biggest fan" filling in for the "retired" Spidey. Which could be Flash if hes in the movie (cuz it was him in the comics) or my guess of John Jameson. (to connect him to the main plot, and since it also makes sense he might try some trick to rescue the captured Mary Jane). Heck, it could even be Eddie Brock.

This trailer MIGHTVE given too much away, or it might just be a great trailer for a great movie that still has a lot of treats in store for us. Won't actually know till we see the movie. Prolly not worth getting TOO worked up over.

Berandor

lunatic
I once saw the trailer for "Princess Bride" and they gave a lot of good parts away, mainly surprising jokes. It was awful!

Trailers can be misleading, or spoil the movie (especially in mediocre comedies where every good joke is given away), but I don't think Spidey 2 does it.

Mog Elffoe

Explorer
Steve's right. Trailers have always been like this for as long as there have been movie trailers. The DVD for The Quiet Man with John Wayne has the original trailer as an extra feature and that trailer not only gives away every single plot point of the film, including the climax, it spoonfeeds it to you with a voice-over narration. It's nothing new. Some trailers are just better than others.

From watching the Spider-Man 2 trailer I really thought it was great--I didn't think it was giving much away in the slightest aside from just a few very basic plot points--MJ getting married, Peter giving up being Spidey, Doc Ock appearing and apparently being funded by Harry, Peter taking up the responsibility of being Spider-Man again--that's really it as far as I can tell. I'm pretty excited to check out the hows and whys of all of the aforementioned.

Tetsubo

First Post
I think they gave away too much in the trailer. The whole "denying my destiny" thing just bugs the heck out of me. The hero that Spiderman showed himself to be in the first movie would not turn away from that destiny now. I'll see it but I am already annoyed at the film.

Mog Elffoe

Explorer
Tetsubo said:
I think they gave away too much in the trailer. The whole "denying my destiny" thing just bugs the heck out of me. The hero that Spiderman showed himself to be in the first movie would not turn away from that destiny now. I'll see it but I am already annoyed at the film.

That strikes me as funny. Those scenes shown in the trailer were taken directly from early Spider-Man comics by Stan Lee--they're pretty much direct recreations. Peter Parker is like Charlie Brown but with lifethreatening situations--nothing ever goes his way. Spidey has always been one of the most 'human' superheroes around. He doesn't just decide to fight for truth, justice, and the American Way and just move on like an automaton. Sometimes he has doubts. It's natural that he might think about quitting something that constantly puts his loved ones in danger. It's also natural for him to come around and put the tights back on. Those scenes make me more excited to see the movie than anything else in the trailer.

Mog Elffoe said:
That strikes me as funny. Those scenes shown in the trailer were taken directly from early Spider-Man comics by Stan Lee--they're pretty much direct recreations. Peter Parker is like Charlie Brown but with lifethreatening situations--nothing ever goes his way. Spidey has always been one of the most 'human' superheroes around. He doesn't just decide to fight for truth, justice, and the American Way and just move on like an automaton. Sometimes he has doubts. It's natural that he might think about quitting something that constantly puts his loved ones in danger. It's also natural for him to come around and put the tights back on. Those scenes make me more excited to see the movie than anything else in the trailer.

Exactly. That is why I enjoyed the first movie. Though things WERE different, the spirit of Spidey was in there including his inner dialogues. It was a nice geekfest seeing all the little touches from the comics they threw in. Same with the trailer for #2. The dumping of the costume scene was just like the scene in the comics. Now in a couple weeks I get to see if the unmasking is how they did it in the comics (though it was Ock who did it then)...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads