Spiders, spiders everywhere?

Grazzt

Demon Lord
There is a "Field Guide" or "Definitive GUide" to Spiders in the works (by me). Should be done soon and includes things you guys are looking for, plus habitat, life cycles, etc.... and spider-specific feats, new abilities, etc.

Xarlen

First Post
I really don't see how the spider'd swallow whole. o_O

Besides, it'd only be one to two size catagories above medium.

Oo, Grazzt, where? What D20 company?

Corwin

Explorer
I don't understadn the question, do you have the MM?

I don't see what the problem is. If you look in the MM, under vermin, you will see that the spider section is actually both types. It is quite clearly explained in the section.

The SRD isn't quite as clear (being unfinished and unofficial), but has the following:

Web (Ex): Both types of monstrous spiders often wait in their webs or in trees, then lower themselves silently on silk strands and leap onto prey passing beneath. A single strand is strong enough to support the spider and one creature of the same size.

Skills: *Monstrous spiders gain a +8 competence bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks when using their webs.

Web-spinning spiders can cast a web eight times per day. This is similar to an attack with a net but has a maximum range of 50 feet, with a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets up to one size smaller that the spider. The web anchors the target in place, allowing no movement. An entangled creature can escape with a successful Escape Artist check or burst it with a Strength check. Both are standard actions whose DCs are listed in the accompanying table. Web-spinning spiders often create sheets of sticky webbing from 5 to 60 feet square, depending on the size of the spider. They usually position these sheets to snare flying creatures but can also try to trap prey on the ground. Approaching creatures must succeed at a Spot check (DC 20) to notice a web; otherwise they stumble into it and become trapped as though by a successful web attack. Attempts to escape or burst the webbing gain a +5 bonus if the trapped creature has something to walk on or grab while pulling free. Each 5-foot section has the hit points listed on the table, and sheet webs have damage reduction 5/fire. A monstrous spider can move across its own sheet web at its climb speed and can determine the exact location of any creature touching the web.

Skills: Monstrous spiders receive a +4 racial bonus to Hide and Spot checks.

*Hunting spiders receive a +6 racial bonus to Jump checks and a +8 racial bonus to Spot checks.

Notice the mention of "Both types" and "Hunting". Also, under movement types, it lists a separate set in parenthesis. These are for hunting spiders. The MM text is more clear on this as well.

Xarlen

First Post
I still say that the stats aren't really decked out.

Vermin are sorta underrated. I mean, some insects should have Tremoresence, considering how insects can sense movements (Like Trapdoor spiders, Scorpions, etc), or flying insects should have blindsight (Ever try to smack a fly? It *knows* you're swinging).

So, I just want to beef up the hunting spider.

Considering how the Web spiders get not only the ability to make webs, but to *fire* them, I think it's fair to give the hunting ones a little quirk or two.

Wolves/Tarantulas getting Spring Attack and Pounce, or Spring Attack and Imp Grab,

Jumping getting Leaping Attack and Imp Grab.

Trap Doors getting... Improved Grab.

Last edited:

Azlan

First Post
Ooh, spiders! Lots and lots of different spiders. I've always had a penchant for using spiders on low- to mid-level player characters. (Perhaps because, in real life, I have a phobia of spiders? Heh.)

Remove ads