• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spiderstone Golem

Imret

First Post
First real conversion effort when I was fiddling with drow for a campaign concept, thought I'd throw it out there. Feeling a little post-happy tonight, and I'm not sure if it's been done already, but nevertheless...here it goes.

Spiderstone Golem
Large Construct
Hit Dice: 11d10 (55 hp)
Initiative: +2 (Dex)
Speed: 30ft (can’t run)
AC: 27 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +16 natural)
Attacks: 4 slams +12 melee
Damage: Slam 2d10+5
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./10ft.
Special Attacks: Web spit
Special Qualities: Construct, spider climb, magic immunity, damage reduction 20/+1, SR 22, berserk
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +3
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 15, Con –, Int –, Wis 11, Cha 1
Feats: Multidexterity

Climate/Terrain: Underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: ?
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 12–18 HD (Large); 19–33 HD (Huge)

Spiderstone golems are the constructed servants of drow spellcasters. Unlike other golems, each spiderstone golem is animated not by an elemental spirit, but the spirit of an unknown tanar’ri servant of Lloth, ensuring that its use is not directed against Lloth or her servants.

Physically, spiderstone golems resemble a large statue of a four-armed drow carved from glossy black obsidian. They stand 7 feet tall on average and weigh roughly 1,000 pounds. When inactive, a spiderstone golem is easily mistaken for decoration, but its eyes glow a fiery red when it begins to move.

Combat
Spiderstone golems prefer to immobilize foes with their web spit, then wade into melee and pound them flat.

Construct: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, disease, and similar effects. Not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, energy drain, or death by massive damage.

Berserk (Ex): Each week, there is a chance the tanar’ri spirit animating the spiderstone golem breaks its control and “goes wild”. If commanded by a drow cleric of Lloth, this chance is only 1%. Otherwise, it varies between 5% and 100%, depending on the golem’s current service: If the golem is under the command of a wizard serving Lloth, the chance is 5%. If it’s being used to guard something of importance to its master, but of no use to Lloth, the chance is 50%. If it is being used against Lloth or her clerics, the chance is 100%. When the spiderstone golem goes wild, its Intelligence rises to 3, and it immediately seeks to kill its former master. Once its master is dead, the golem follows the commands of Lloth.

Web Spit (Su): A spiderstone golem may take a standard action once every four rounds to spit a thick glob of webbing at opponents. Treat this as a ranged touch attack with range increments of 30 feet and a maximum range of 180 feet. If the attack roll succeeds, anyone within 20 feet of the target is affected by a web spell (Reflex save DC 12 to avoid); the opponent struck by the web spit does not receive a saving throw.

Spider Climb (Su): Spiderstone golems may use spider climb at will.

Magic Immunity (Ex): Spiderstone golems are immune to all spells except those cast by drow clerics of Lloth or of the invocation school.

Construction
A spiderstone golem’s body is chiseled from a solid block of obsidian, weighing 2,000 pounds.

The golem costs 70,000 gp to create, including 2,000 gp for the body and 10,000 gp each for the eyes, each of which is a large ruby. Assembling the body requires a successful Craft (sculpting or masonry) check (DC 18).

Need a touch of help from the experts, though...CR estimates and the ritual costs and spells required, mostly how to resolve the obvious need for web and spider climb with the fact they're meant to be created by clerics. Anybody with good ideas?

Devon

First Post
domain spells

how to resolve the obvious need for web and spider climb with the fact they're meant to be created by clerics

It's possible that "web" and "spider climb " are domain spells for a domain to which Lolth's acolytes would have access.

I don't have my FR books on me at the moment, and so cannot look up "Arachnid," "Spider" or "Drow" domains.

- Devon

Devon

First Post
For CR, I would place it at 7 or 8.

As for construction costs and level requirements, I could try to plug it into Mongoose's "Constructs" formula to see what the DCs would be.

- Devon

Devon

First Post
I looked up FR domains, and the spider climb spell is in the "Spider" domain. However, I could find no domain which listed the web spell as a domain.

That said, Lolth should be able to grant an acolyte the clerical equivalent of a web spell, if sufficiently motivated or succoured.

- Devon

Remove ads