• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spiked Chain: The Ultimate Defenders Wep or Sir Not Appearing in the Edition?

Hey all,
One of my players favourite weapons is the spiked chain, wielded by a swashbuckling wep finesse/combat reflexes/whirlwind strike type of guy.
Now in 4E he hopes to do the same thing. In 3E the SC is very useful, if not over powerful at killing, we can both see it being a defenders ultimate toy. Getting around some one with that extra reach and powers that are optimised for stopping that sounds rather difficult. We gather that there won't really be a much option to buckle his swash but he is happy for a heavy armoured ftr type for a change (at least until the splat book).
So does anyone agree that this sounds like an awesome combo? Or will the SC not be in this edition or be nerfed? Do you think the SC is rubbish in 3E and will remain so?

Reaper Steve

Explorer
Well, the Desert of Desolation minis (of which all creatures with be in the 4E MM) have a Shadar-Kai assassin in the set, who is wielding a spiked chain.

Based on that singular piece of info, I assume the spiked chain is in.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
mach1.9pants said:
Hey all,
One of my players favourite weapons is the spiked chain, wielded by a swashbuckling wep finesse/combat reflexes/whirlwind strike type of guy.
Now in 4E he hopes to do the same thing. In 3E the SC is very useful, if not over powerful at killing, we can both see it being a defenders ultimate toy. Getting around some one with that extra reach and powers that are optimised for stopping that sounds rather difficult. We gather that there won't really be a much option to buckle his swash but he is happy for a heavy armoured ftr type for a change (at least until the splat book).
So does anyone agree that this sounds like an awesome combo? Or will the SC not be in this edition or be nerfed? Do you think the SC is rubbish in 3E and will remain so?

The Spiked Chain as a weapon of choice is interesting in that its utility and power arise solely from the way the 3.5 rules work. There was really no such thing as a Spiked Chain wielder in prior editions of D&D. So it will be interesting to see how that build looks in 4e, or even if it will be a viable build at all. Has a quirk of the rules given birth to a new D&Dism?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I can't see them taking away ALL the interesting combat options. ;) The Spiked Chain should be in and, as a bonus, will probably work faster with the trips/disarms/etc.

That said, Improved Trip might not be in (or might be different), and iterative attacks are out (at least as for everyone), so you may wind up finding the limitations of the spiked chain a bit more pressing. Reach may also change, as AoO's are changing, too. They might not provoke from a range anymore.

But I agree, the spiked chain is a cool "stunt" weapon and should still linger on in 4e, despite the haters. ;)

moritheil

First Post
Dragonblade said:
The Spiked Chain as a weapon of choice is interesting in that its utility and power arise solely from the way the 3.5 rules work. There was really no such thing as a Spiked Chain wielder in prior editions of D&D. So it will be interesting to see how that build looks in 4e, or even if it will be a viable build at all. Has a quirk of the rules given birth to a new D&Dism?

The thing is, we should expect that this sort of thing will be very common. CCGs often have certain great combos in one edition that disappear to be replaced by other great combos in the next. WotC has shown a very CCG-like approach to DnD.

Kamikaze Midget said:
I can't see them taking away ALL the interesting combat options. ;) The Spiked Chain should be in and, as a bonus, will probably work faster with the trips/disarms/etc.

That said, Improved Trip might not be in (or might be different), and iterative attacks are out (at least as for everyone), so you may wind up finding the limitations of the spiked chain a bit more pressing. Reach may also change, as AoO's are changing, too. They might not provoke from a range anymore.

But I agree, the spiked chain is a cool "stunt" weapon and should still linger on in 4e, despite the haters. ;)
Yeah good points, AoO changes are gonna make a big difference. Still he likes the SC and maybe it'll be a viable option. Iterative attacks aren't much of a problem, whirlwind will get round that!

TPK

First Post
Personally, I'm hoping for Dwarven Urgroshes without that silly self-emasculation device on the bottom...

Actually, I hope they get rid of all the silly weapons. Whoever heard of the legendary hero proving his Right to Rule by pulling a Spiked Chain out of a stone?

Remove ads