• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spiked Chains: Pure cheese or sometimes OK?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm putting together a badass bounty hunter (ranger/bloodhound) to track down some fugitive characters in my campaign. I'm currently thinking of having him be a Litorian (think the cat equivalent of a gnoll). For no reason I can really justify, I've got a vision of him using a spiked chain to trip and lash out at his targets, mostly to emphasize how exotic this NPC is in comparison to the all-human fugitives (who come from a very traditional part of my campaign world).

There's a lot of smack talk about the spiked chain, especially as it's part of a whole slew of wacky 3E double-weapons.

Is it so bad as to be beyond redemption, or can it be used, in moderation, and still be kind of fun? Is it a pain in the kaboose to use in combat?

Gargoyle

Adventurer
I'm not sure what smack talk you mean, whether you want to know if its flavor is too far out or whether you mean is it too good?

Flavor wise, depends your personal taste entirely. Statwise, it's a great weapon, maybe too good.

It has reach, but it can be used against adjacent opponents. That alone makes it good, even for the cost of the EWP feat.
But you can also trip with it, you get a +2 bonus on disarm rolls, and it can be used with Weapon Finesse, even if it isn't a light weapon for you.

All that plus the not so bad damage makes it too good in my opinion, causing it to be much less exotic than it probably should be. I'm not calling it broken, but it certainly seems like a better choice than any of the other exotic weapons in the core rules, although maybe some of those need a buff.

My players have had some fun with it, but I can't say they overused it. It certainly wasn't weak or a pain to use.

I'd use it since you see it as a fun choice for your character. If it's too good, the DM will just sick some kytons on you and it will all work out. :]

Last edited:

arwink

Clockwork Golem
To be honest, I have no beef with the Spiked Chain. It may not be realistic, but it does have the potential to be fun.

And despite its alleged twinkiness, I've never seen a player use one. Even after seeing how effective they can be in the hands of NPC's.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
i invision a spiked chain just acting like ivys whip sword. Its what I think all exotic weapons should live up to. Other weapons i think that live up to a spiked chain is a fullblade, and courtblade.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've seen many martial arts exhibitions in which one of the "warriors" will use a weighted chain as a weapon, but I can't say I've ever seen one with a spiked chain.

I think its OK for a fantasy game.

Still, if you check out Oriental Adventures, I believe that there are stats for a simple weighted chain, which only changes the damage.

JustKim

First Post
It's not that cheesy a weapon, no. Its damage is pretty poor- two steps below the martial greatsword- and there are other, martial, reach weapons that can trip. The exotic weapon proficiency pays for a broad stroke of minor benefits that few will get much use of.

I have never, ever seen a character use Weapon Finesse for exampe, even when it's granted for free.

i invision a spiked chain just acting like ivys whip sword.
The purpose of a chain is to wrap very tightly around something, making the spikes primarily for rending and tearing. It would be a ghastly weapon.

JustKim said:
The purpose of a chain is to wrap very tightly around something, making the spikes primarily for rending and tearing. It would be a ghastly weapon.

Agreed. That statement paints a nasty picture of what that weapon can do to someone.

As for using it, I've allowed it and seen it used twice in my campaigns by players. I don't believe I have ever had an NPC wield one, although not because I have strong feelings about not using it. I also don't think there is anything particularly difficult about using it in combat.

I suppose it comes down to taste. If it is too exotic for your fantasy, don't use it. Otherwise, have fun! Personally I think a bounty hunter armed with one would be scary for whoever he was chasing...

Steverooo

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
I've seen many martial arts exhibitions in which one of the "warriors" will use a weighted chain as a weapon, but I can't say I've ever seen one with a spiked chain.

I think its OK for a fantasy game.

Still, if you check out Oriental Adventures, I believe that there are stats for a simple weighted chain, which only changes the damage.

Which is the Manriki-Gusari. My PC took this, as an exotic weapon, because it is so light and easy to carry, and innocent in appearance, AND he needed a blunt weapon. In our game, it also has the advantage that a TWFer can use it two-handed as a Large-sized Tripper or Disarmer weapon, or as a Light & One-handed weapon with TWF. This works great, against Skeletons, but has hardly ever been used. My PC generally uses his bow, or his claws in Melee!

Unlike the Spiked Chain (which is only usable two-handed), the Manriki-Gusari is Blunt-only, which compensates for its other advantages over the Spiky-Chain or Dire Flail. I assume you could make a spiky-headed chain, as well, to do Pierce/Blunt Trauma.

Also, I had one GM penalize my Stealth because he claimed that the chain rattled! So... I had an adamantine CABLE made, with large snap-swivels on each end, and use that, instead. No more rattlin' penalties! :p

Do I think the Spiked Chain is cheesy? Yes, maybe a bit! Do I feel the same way about the Manriki-Gusari? Nope! Unlike the Spiked Chain, it's historical (as are all manner of "flexible" weapons involving ropes, rings, daggers, and spiky balls)!

Aka-i-tsuchi (Devil's Claw), anyone? :]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads