• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spirit of Healing

guindone

First Post
Has anyone else run into this new power from Divine Power, Spirit of Healing, in their games?

It seems to be too good. In the encounter we used it in, we effectively were able to recover hit points (without spending surges) with ridiculous ease.

Here's the text:

Utility level 6
Daily • Conjuration, Divine , Healing
Minor Action Ranged 10
Effect: You conjure a spirit of healing in 1 square within
range. T h e spirit lasts until t he e n d of your next turn.
W h e n an ally in the spirit's square or adjacent to it hits
an enemy, that ally regains hit points equal to t w i c e your
W i s d om modifier. As a move action, you can move the
spirit 4 squares.
Sustain Minor: The spirit persists.

So everyone can technically get 8 healing every time they hit an enemy.

It seems broken. Anyone else have any opinions?

Mercury.

Lord Ernie

First Post
I still have to try it out with my Elven Cleric, but let's just say reading that power made me very happy to just have reached level 6.

Also, keep in mind the power has the Healing keyword, so it adds the cleric's wisdom mod to the healing done (because of Healer's Lore). That is, a cleric with a +4 wisdom modifier would heal someone 12 HP every time they hit a target. If you have someone with multiple attacks, it just gets crazier.

Last edited:

guindone

First Post
The points you raised weren't unknown to us, I just wanted to spare you the details of our particular cleric's setup but yeah, our experience has been that this power pretty much trivialized the combat, with everyone ending with full hit points and no lost surges. That screams broken.

Feedback from others would be nice,

Mercury.

1of3

Explorer
If the enemies sucessfully identify the spirit, they could try to outmaneuver characters it. Retreat to an area with narrow paths and lots of cover. Forced movement and immobilizing powers might also work. Then there's Dispel Magic.

There might be encounters were no such option is viable, but there should be some difficult encounters at least.

Thanee

First Post
My Elven Cleric has learned it recently (or rather, swapped another power for it; we are 12th level right now) but so far I havn't found a situation where it made sense to use it. Surely, there will be some in future. :)

It's just a daily power, after all, so one encounter gets easier, but not all.
At most it allows you to enter one more encounter before retiring to rest up.

Also don't forget, that it limits the cleric, since the power must be sustained. If the opposition has such means, have them stun the cleric and the spirit fades away (of course, they need some power to be able to stun the cleric to do that, only few monsters have that).

That hardly seems broken to me.

Now Life Transference as written (i.e. if usable on yourself), THAT's broken (but the intent should be clear, that it cannot be used on yourself, and it should only be used that way). ;)

Bye
Thanee

babinro

First Post
I don't know if the power seems broken...but it feels like it is being given out at too early a level. This power feels more paragon tier to me. I can definitely see it making one combat per day trivial for several levels at least. That fact makes the utility overpowered at level 6. I'd rather have seen it around say level 16.

Obryn

Hero
I don't think it sounds too bad. It eats a standard action to conjure it, and requires sustaining.

Its level is fairly low, but all things considered, it's fairly situational. You have to be both adjacent to the spirit, and able to hit the enemy. So it doesn't help unconscious creatures whatsoever.

I'm okay with it.

-O

Iron Dragon

First Post
Well, I don't think that it looks too bad all things considered. Against a solo, where it's going to be the most useful, it's mostly just stopgap. Against huge swarms of enemies positioning is key with the thing, as is maintaining it. Just saying that to me, it doesn't really sound so bad.

Lord Ernie

First Post
I don't think it sounds too bad. It eats a standard action to conjure it, and requires sustaining.
Actually, conjuring is a minor action, which sweetens the deal considerably.

I'm not saying it's overpowered in any kind of way, since I haven't seen it in action. Just that it seems to turn everyone near to the spirit into a quasi-Battlerager.

Stalker0

Legend
So with teh healer' lore note, that thing heals 12 damage every time you kill something?

That's pretty strong, can't say its broken out right, but its certain seems better than cure moderate wounds:)

I will say healing is a funny thing in 4e. Because defense stays comparative with offense (in 3e offense scaled much faster), healing can become a true weapon. I'm seeing more and more builds that create nigh invulnerable parties.

Remove ads