Spirit of the Century: The Dwellers of the Forbidden City...

Pbartender

First Post
So I'm going to use the old D&D 1E adventure, Dwellers of the Forbidden City as my inspiration for a Spirit of the Century adventure that I'm going to run over our group's Winter Holiday Hiatus from Dungeons & Dragons.

For those who aren't familiar, DotFC was one of the earlier outdoor exploration adventure modules. It consisted of a large rift valley filled with the ruins of an ancient hidden city, the whole of which is set in the midst of a deepest darkest jungle. It was one of the first appearances of Bullywugs, Mongrelmen, Yuan-ti and Aboleths, and even had the D&D version of the Black Lotus -- the Yellow Musk Creeper. With all these abominations, the whole adventure has a very Lovecraftian feel to it.

So, I'm going to plop the valley down into the middle of deepest darkest Africa round about the middle 1920s or so. The basic hook that I'm going to use is that a prominent horticulturalist when into the area looking for a near mythical plant and hasn't been heard from since. The players are to try to find out what happened to him.

There are several factions within the valley...

The Bugbear/Tasloi/Yuan-ti faction: This is my favorite one... I'm going to switch the Bugbears and Tasloi into intelligent gorillas and monkeys led by the infamous Gorilla Khan. And instead of Yuan-ti, I'm going to have a small contingent of Martians in slightly larger than man-sized robotic tripods a'la War of the Worlds. Gorilla Kahn simply wants to add the Forbidden City to his jungle empire, and has allied with the Martians for extra firepower. The Martains are looking for something they can use as a super-weapon to subjugate Earth -- but they haven't told Gorilla Kahn that. They're in control of some of the caves and tunnels that lead into the valley, and also a few patches of jungle within the valley.

The Mongrelmen/Elven Sorceress faction: The Elven Sorceress is now an African Princess who claims to be a direct descendant of the ancient leaders of the Forbidden City. She wants to rebuild it to its former glory. She's the one responsible for luring the horticulturist out here. She's gently keeping him under her thumb so she can use him to refine the pollen of the Black Lotus, which she's using to create an army of super-loyal zombie-ish minions that will take the place of the Mongrelmen. They're holed up mainly in the ruins of the Forbidden City within the valley.

The Bullywug faction: These are the descendants of the original dwellers of the Forbidden City. Of course, they've retrogressed Innsmouth fashion, and have a pet "god" living in their swamp. Also, the Black Lotus grows only in the swamp that they call home. Their home is in a swamp at the far end of the valley from the city ruins.

A Wizard and his Apprentice: The world renown horticulturalist came with his plucky research assistant looking for the Black Lotus, and the Princess gave him the means to do it. Now, he's effectively under house arrest, though he doesn't realize it, and he's unknowingly creating a powerful zombification agent from the Black Lotus that the princess is using to build a mindless, devoted army. His research assistant is growing suspicious and nervous, though. Their confinement is limited to the remains of a magnificent mansion and its walled grounds within the ruins of the city.

Assorted monstrous creatures: Dinosaurs! Crocodiles! Snakes! Leopards! Giant Spiders and Bugs!

Got all that? Good.

Now, before we get to Forbidden City, the Heroes will need to track its location down, following in the footsteps of the lost horticulturalist. Here's the scoop:

The Chicago branch of the Century Club in 1922 is widely known as the Chi-Town Irregulars for the diverse and unconventional skills that its handful of current members possess. Naturally, most of these local Centurions are employed by the Field Museum of Natural History as field agents, either regularly or as freelancers.

Earlier this year, the Field Museum funded an expedition to Africa led by the world renown British botanist and naturalist, Lord Percivilius L'enfant. The objective of the expedition was to find a specimen of the legendary flower Nymphaea nigra -- the black lotus. Months ago, however, the Museum lost all contact with the expedition. The Museum is asking you to travel to Egypt, from where Lord Percy made his last report, and track down what happened to the lost expedition, bringing them back safely with the black lotus, if possible.

For this first part, most of the action will take place in Cairo, the last known whereabouts of Lord Percy. It should focus on gathering the information needed to track down the location of the Forbidden City, where Lord Percy headed, somewhere in the deepest darkest jungles of the Belgian Congo.

However, for their own inscrutable purposes Gorilla Kahn and the Martian Warlord Koloth are also following in the footsteps of L'enfant, and hunting for the same information as our erstwhile heroes.

I need some good ideas for encounters that can happen in Cairo circa 1924 between the PCs, Warlord Koloth, and Gorillia Kahn and his minions (intelligent gorillas and monkeys).

I think the pertinent clue is going to be either a map or a book that was saved from the burning of the Library of Alexandria. The document is being held in the archives of Al-Azhar University in Cairo.

I want some social interaction here as the Heroes try to finagle their way into the University's archives by whatever means they deem best.

Koloth will only really be able to sneak around at night due to his Wellsian 10-foot-tall robotic tripod machine.

It'll be completely ludicrous, but I was thinking of having Gorilla Khan and his minions poorly disguised in people clothes as a visiting professor and his students.

"Ah yes, the Lemurian texts... I seem to recall Dr. Simius was asking about them just yesterday, although I don't think he found what he was looking for."

Still with me? Alright.

So what I'm looking for is more ideas for good, pulpy action, plot twists, scenery and so forth. I'm kind of brainstorming here, so anything you guys can throw out could be helpful.

Pbartender

First Post
Some bad guy stats, if it helps...

GORILLA KHAN, CONQUEROR APE
Sentient Simian; Rogue Experiment

Significant Aspects: Raging Ape, Gorilla Strength, Simian Stamina, Legacy of Khan, Teachings of Methuselah, Animal Cunning, Military Genius, Savage Beast, Natural Leader, Jungle Law

Skills
Superb: Might
Great: Athletics, Fists
Good: Leadership, Intimidation, Endurance
Fair: Weapons, Resolve, Survival, Alertness
Average: Academics, Investigation, Mysteries, Stealth, Science

Stunts
Athletics: Acrobat; Human Spider
Endurance: one Hit to the Body; Thick Skinned
Fists: Brawler; Fists of Fury
Leadership: Minions*
Might: Herculean Strength; Piledriver; Unstoppable

Minions
*While plotting in Cairo, Gorilla Khan has a personal retinue of three Good quality minions and three Average quality minions. They're all sentient apes or monkeys. While invading the Forbidden city, he commands an entire army, giving him nearly unlimited supplies of Average foot soldiers.

KOLOTH, MARTIAN WARLORD
Shadow Centurion; Alien Invader

Significant Aspects: Mad Scientist, Alien Technology, Short-Sighted Strategist, "Need More Power!", Gravity is a Harsh Mistress, Martian, Scientific Principles, "Puny Earthlings!", Promoted Into Exile, Under the Eye of the Overlord

Skills
Superb: Science
Great: Engineering, Investigation
Good: Resources, Alertness, Stealth
Fair: Academics, Athletics*, Drive, Might*
Average: Endurance*, Deceit, Intimidation, Fists*, Guns

Stunts
Engineering: Tripod (Personal Gadget x2); Universal Gadget
Resources: Headquarters
Science: Scientific Genius (Nuclear Physics); Scientific Invention; Weird Science; Mad Science (Martian Technology)

Lairs
Alien Probes (Martian Fighting-Machine): Utmost Secrecy (Good difficulty to discover); contains a great quality physics lab.

Gadgets
Tripod (Martian Fighting-Machine): Contains several parts:
Fighting-Machine: Craftsmanship (+1 Might), Upgrade (+2 Might when breaking things), Miniaturization (a lab's worth of scientific equipment, probes and devices)
Heat Ray: Gun w/ Special Effect (shoots a ray of intense heat and light), Upgrade (+2 stress on a successful hit against targets that are vulnerable to heat or fire), Alternate Use (may be used with Science as well as Guns)
Universal Gadget: Usually Conscious (Tripod can act independently in a limited fashion) and Rugged (2 extra stress boxes)

*These skills presume the tripod, which is practically an extension of his body, is functional and piloted by Koloth. When Koloth is outside the tripod, these skills all become Mediocre.

tleilaxu

First Post
you're gonna have a great time. my SotC Mad Scientist Dr. Weiss (get it, "Dr. Know") was one of my favorite characters in -any- system.

tleilaxu

First Post
stuff that we had in our game:

the MacGuffin: "Unaussprechlichen Kulten" aka the "Go-Bot" to the Necronomicon's "transformer"

A Nasty organization Dr. Weiss worked with During WW1 "Thule Gesellschaft"

"the Comte de St. Germain" Dr. Weiss's rival and better, the BBEG, who may be a millenial, or immortal, or Hitler, or Nyarlathotep.

the main thing is to find out what the PCs are going to be, and then write challenges specifically for them. for example, Dr. Weiss had to supply solutions to numerical puzzles (Like, 2,4,8,_ and harder ones) in order to stop a train from blowing up, and multiple opportunities to use his universal gadgets to change the terms of a battle. Our Japanese Ninja-Girl had the opportunity to infiltrate the high-security area and steal important information while the other party members took party in a party downstairs, and in general to jump around like the chick in Sin City. Our Drunken Bavarian Priest had the opportunity to use his spiritual power against unnatural enemies, and had multiple opportunities to smash whiskey bottles over the heads of the unrepentent. Our American Pilot had the opportunity to save us from certain doom as the half-destroyed Zepplin we were on careened toward the city below. etc etc...

ajanders

Explorer
Especially with Spirit of the Century, the character aspects should give you a lot of hooks and subplots.

Gorilla Khan, however, needs some small monkeys...spider monkeys? ourangatangs?
The PC's are stalked by a set of organ grinders...organ grinders everywhere they go...following them, thwarting them, hitting them up for money...
Eventually they realize they aren't being followed by a collection of random organ grinders or musicians...they're being followed by an assassin monkey and his random expendable organ grinder henchmen.
"Stop that organ grinder!"
"Forget the organ grinder, stop that monkey!"

Can Koloth design a smaller pod for himself?
Might he have spy drones he can dispatch into Cairo?
Has he disguised himself as a pile of surveying equipment and shipped himself to the University?

Pbartender

First Post
the main thing is to find out what the PCs are going to be, and then write challenges specifically for them. for example...

Oh, normally, I'd agree, but this is preparation for a pick-up game of sorts. I very well might not know precisely what characters the players are playing until the night of.

Fortunately, I'm pretty good at adjusting things on the fly, so all I'm really looking for is some general scenarios I can toss at the players and see how they react. Then roll with it and see how it goes.

Especially with Spirit of the Century, the character aspects should give you a lot of hooks and subplots.

Gorilla Khan, however, needs some small monkeys...spider monkeys? ourangatangs?
The PC's are stalked by a set of organ grinders...organ grinders everywhere they go...following them, thwarting them, hitting them up for money...
Eventually they realize they aren't being followed by a collection of random organ grinders or musicians...they're being followed by an assassin monkey and his random expendable organ grinder henchmen.
"Stop that organ grinder!"
"Forget the organ grinder, stop that monkey!"

I'd planned on having at least a few monkey minions... The original Tasloi are monkey-raccoon-men that live in jungle tree houses. They were definitely going to be monkey minions.

I hadn't thought of organ-grinder spies, though. I like that. I could even make the organ-grinder himself a gorilla in disguise.

Can Koloth design a smaller pod for himself?

Not exactly. I'm patterning him off of the classic War of the Worlds Martians, whose tripod fighting machines were several stories tall. In that sense, it already is a smaller pod.

I plan on portraying him as a sort cross between Krang from TMNT, and Kang and Kodos from the Simpsons. Out of his tripod machine, he'll look something like a wrinkly, leathery squid with only one eye.

Might he have spy drones he can dispatch into Cairo?

Perhaps... That actually gives me an idea...

In Cairo, the Universal Gadget for his Tripod will be "Alternate Usage (can use Science in place of Burglary) and Alternate Usage (can use Science in place of Contacting for the Gather Information and Getting Off The Tip effects)."

That represents his little spy probes (which look something like miniature Sputniks with six metal tentacles) running around the city trying to find the secret document that holds the location of the Forbidden City.

ajanders

Explorer
I would suggest it's a much more dramatic reveal if you have the human be an expendable pawn.
The PC's can have organ grinder after organ grinder arrested, creating a wonderful red herring as they think the King of all the Beggars is after them.

Finally somebody realizes they aren't facing a human with a monkey sidekick, they're facing a monkey with a human sidekick.

Adding a gorilla disguised as a human reveals the surprise awfully early. Though one might legitimately wonder why so many people would be willing to follow a talking monkey's orders...

Pbartender

First Post
I would suggest it's a much more dramatic reveal if you have the human be an expendable pawn.
The PC's can have organ grinder after organ grinder arrested, creating a wonderful red herring as they think the King of all the Beggars is after them.

Finally somebody realizes they aren't facing a human with a monkey sidekick, they're facing a monkey with a human sidekick.

Adding a gorilla disguised as a human reveals the surprise awfully early. Though one might legitimately wonder why so many people would be willing to follow a talking monkey's orders...

Right... But I've only got a few weeks to pull off the whole adventure, and this is just Act I, scene I, so to speak. I don't really have the time for that sort of subtlety.

Nevertheless, even with a disguised gorilla, I can draw this out a bit through casual detail in descriptions... Off-handedly mentioning organ grinders with monkeys in several scenes along with all the other details of the scene. Chances are they won't really notice until I put the organ grinder someplace he really doesn't belong.

1. Amazingly, Boutros Boutros-Gali was born in Cairo in 1922: November 14.
2. Egypt obtains its independence from Britain in 1922. Governmental and legal turmoil should be expected
3.Here's a map...http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/photolib/maps/Map%20of%20Cairo%201922.htmhttp://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/photolib/maps/Map%20of%20Cairo%201922.htm
Free Map of Cairo 1922 from the Probert Encyclopaedia Map Archive

Oop... 1922 was a typo. It should be 1924. But I can still use 2 and 3.

That map is excellent, Thanks.

Pbartender

First Post
1. Amazingly, Boutros Boutros-Gali was born in Cairo in 1922: November 14.
2. Egypt obtains its independence from Britain in 1922. Governmental and legal turmoil should be expected
3.Here's a map...http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/photolib/maps/Map%20of%20Cairo%201922.htmhttp://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/photolib/maps/Map%20of%20Cairo%201922.htm
Free Map of Cairo 1922 from the Probert Encyclopaedia Map Archive

Now that you've got me looking, here's an interesting tidbit I ran across...

"On November 19, 1924, the British Governor-General of Sudan, Sir Lee Stack, was assassinated in Cairo and pro-Egyptian riots broke out in Sudan. The British demanded that Egypt pay an apology fee and withdraw troops from Sudan. Zaghlul agreed to the first but not the second and resigned."

Remove ads