• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spirited Charge and Critical Hits???

CrazyNinjabeast

First Post
Ok, so I'm catching some flack from all party members about my character.

Level 12:
Str 19
Spirited Charge
monkey Grip
Power Critical (+4 confirm crit)
Power critical (declare auto threat 1 per day)
power attack
Improved critical (Lance)
Using a Huge lance (3D6) +1 balanced, Impaling

that's all that should be relevant, but I need to know what gets multiplied when?!?!

Is it only my lance that gets the x3 (so 9D6) or everything (so (3D6+5)x3)

and after that, if I crit, is it ((9D6+5)x3), or is it ((3D6+5)x5)

I am totally lost because people keep telling me different things, so I come to you people for help

Thank you guys so much for clearing this up

(sorry I know I just posted this, but I wasn't sure if I did it right)

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Your base weapon damage (3d6 or whatever it is for your lance) and any bonuses not expressed as damage dice (ie, +2d6 sneak attack or +1d6 flaming damage would not be multiplied; +12 from power attack or +9 from strength would be*) is multiplied on a critical hit.

Bottom line: A mounted charge is freakin' scary, especially if it crits. Most DMs try to counter this by making certain areas too cramped to use a mount in, blocking the path to any important NPCs with low level "roadblocks" so you can't charge past them to the important people, using difficult terrain since that stops a charge, or readied actions. An optimized mounted charge is basically the closest a non-caster in D&D gets to having a "nuclear option."

*I'm just making up numbers, I don't know what yours are.

CrazyNinjabeast

First Post
but this is what I do not understand, does spirited charge increase the damage of my lance x3 to 9D6 +str or is it treated as (3D6+str)x3?? because a critical would stack differently in each situation, if only my lance did more, my base damage (9D6 +str) would be multiplied my x3. But if spirited charge grants me a damage multiplier, as in (3D6 +str)x3, I would crit on a times five (x3+x3=x5). So I'm still confused, is it a damage multiplier (like I crit every single attack) or does my lance simply have it's base damage multiplied by three?

Sorry if I make no sense...

P.S. [MENTION=1210]the Jester[/MENTION] I could use a gargantuan lance if I wanted to, and I would only incur a -2 on attack rolls :p

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
What's the second version of the power critical from? That's the real nasty issue here as far as I'm concerned. Mounted characters in most adventures aren't going to manage a spirited charge that often and that feat could make it an auto threat nearly every time.

But whatever else, keep in mind that ALL multipliers are essentially additive. If one effect gives you x3, don't multiply the extra damage you get from that x3, add on the extra damage that multiplier would be worth. So if spirited charge gives you x3 for a lance charge and you crit, it isn't (weapon+bonuses)x9. It's (weapon+bonuses)x3 + (weapon+bonuses)x2.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
You may find this helpful:
The Basics :: d20srd.org

"Sometimes a rule makes you multiply a number or a die roll. As long as you’re applying a single multiplier, multiply the number normally. When two or more multipliers apply to any abstract value (such as a modifier or a die roll), however, combine them into a single multiple, with each extra multiple adding 1 less than its value to the first multiple. Thus, a double (×2) and a double (×2) applied to the same number results in a triple (×3, because 2 + 1 = 3)."

D&D math isn't the same as real world math. :) If you're doing x3 damage on a crit and x2 damage for a lance charge, then you'd have a x4 multiplier. If you had Spirited Charge, which makes a lance do x3 damage on a charge and you crit for x3, you would have a multiplier of x5.

And strength bonus would multiply. As would any bonus from power attack. As would Weapon Specialization if you had it. Basically any bonus damage that's not some dice value multiplies, along with the weapon's base damage.

CrazyNinjabeast

First Post
sooooooo.....
45 - 3D6x5
60 - 12 power x5
20 -str x5
5 - enh x5
----------
130 total correct?

P.S. yeah this feats overpowered with a cavalier knight, but it exists and i meet the needs, you should check it out, It's in the Master Wild
P.S.S my lance has implaling, so on said power crit I just need to hit touch AC :D
P.S.S.S. if I get it blessed I won't even need to confirm on evil enemies, just on roll and I could drop a hydra :D

the Jester

Legend
You've got the damage right. If something gave you an additional +2d6 damage vs. evil or something like that- like a holy weapon- that would be about the only thing that wouldn't multiply.

P.S. [MENTION=1210]the Jester[/MENTION] I could use a gargantuan lance if I wanted to, and I would only incur a -2 on attack rolls :p

Okay, I'll bite... I'm going to guess that it starts with a race with Powerful Build and goes from there?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads