• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spirited Charge and Critical Hits???

CrazyNinjabeast

First Post
Ok, so I'm catching some flack from all party members about my character.

Level 12:
Str 19
Spirited Charge
monkey Grip
Power Critical (+4 confirm crit)
Power critical (declare auto threat 1 per day)
power attack
Improved critical (Lance)
Using a Huge lance (3D6) +1 balanced, Impaling

that's all that should be relevant, but I need to know what gets multiplied when?!?!

Is it only my lance that gets the x3 (so 9D6) or everything (so (3D6+5)x3)

and after that, if I crit, is it ((9D6+5)x3), or is it ((3D6+5)x5)

I am totally lost because people keep telling me different things, so I come to you people for help

Thank you guys so much for clearing this up

One other question as well:

I'm an 18 level Cleric with a 24 going in on spellcraft (wich is enough to creat some Epic spells) so I would like to put it to good use prior to level 21. So I've scoured the internet and texts to no avail, does anyone out there have rules for spell creation? The have to include cost (Gold or XP), time, DC modifiers and all that fun stuff.

Your input in either question means a lot, thanks you guys :D

Sekhmet

First Post
Extra damage dice are never applied to critical hits.
9d6+extras, not everything x 3.
Spell creation is in the Dungeon Master's Guide(pg35), if I'm not mistaken, and I believe the DMG2 or PH2 also has rules regarding it.
I remember seeing a 1 week per level time requirement, something around 100 or 500gp per week, and not being able to adventure during that time.
As well as the end product being entirely able to fail completely.

EDIT: Ah, the DMG pg. 198 - one week per spell level, 1,000 gp per week, DC Spellcraft 10+spell level): Requires access to a well stocked library, consultants, abundant material components (part of the 1,000gp cost), etcetera. If the check succeeds, the character learns the new spell if her research produced a viable spell, for which your DM is the judge.
The DM should not tell the player whether or not the spell is viable when research begins, however he should feel free to work with the player before the research to give him loose guidance on acceptable parameters.
Remember that a spell should always follow the guidelines on page 36 to determine it's maximum damage dice.

Last edited:

CrazyNinjabeast

First Post
Also, so i would automatically pass a creation of a 9th level spell? weird... seems to easy, and 9K is dirt cheap :p So supposing I wanted to cause paralysis, what is the best way to determine what level spell that would be? And what if I wanted to cause there to be no save, such as in the case as power word spells?

Sekhmet

First Post
No.
You would deal 3d6x5+other benefits.
x3 for Spirited Charge, x3 for Critical hit.
Since only weapon damage is multiplied, this is the way that such modifiers stack.

Think of it this way, it's 3d6+(3d6+3d6 for critical)+(3d6+3d6 for spirited charge) +modifiers.

Sekhmet

First Post
Also, so i would automatically pass a creation of a 9th level spell? weird... seems to easy, and 9K is dirt cheap :p So supposing I wanted to cause paralysis, what is the best way to determine what level spell that would be? And what if I wanted to cause there to be no save, such as in the case as power word spells?

I'd ask you to look at Power Word: Stun (Player's Handbook).

CrazyNinjabeast

First Post
I am aware of this fact!!! no one reads it >:[

Is spirited charge a multiplier, or is it causing only my lance to cause more damage, apart from my strength and enhancements?!?!?

[MENTION=97602]Sekhmet[/MENTION] so an average hit taken at full power attack would deal:
27 - from the lance (9D6)
12 - full power attack
4 - strength
1 - enhancement
-------------------
44 x3 =132 damg
is that damage calculated correctly?

Remove ads