• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spiritual Weapon

Spiritual Weapon (SW)

- Cleric lvl2
- Tiny (Melee/Ranged depending on deity)
- Force effect
- Attacks from the direction of the caster
- Doesn't grant a flanking bonus

Questions:

Does the SW occupy it's own square? If not, which one? What if the caster is next to the SW's target? What if the caster and the SW's target start grappling (and share the same square)?

Dolza

First Post
When I've used this i always give the weapon it's own square. I usually put a die out there to represent the weapon. If the character is next to the target the weapon can still attack the target.

Also, where did you get tiny from? the examples in the SRD are battleaxe, warhammer, light flail, etc based on alignment. So i would think the deity determines the weapon and its size.

If the caster starts a grapple the normal rules for attacking into a grapple would apply. I dont see any reason there might be a difference.

happy gaming,
Dolza

Len

Prodigal Member
I think most of the weapons you'd get would qualify as small or medium creatures when they're attacking on their own. The weapon gets its own square and has a 5 foot reach, so it doesn't have to move into its opponent's square to attack.

A dagger would be a tiny creature.
Ogrork the Mighty said:
I would give the weapon its own square but I would allow other creatures to occupy that square as well.
That seems reasonable too, but you're adding a unique rule for this particular "creature". I'd keep it simple.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
And remember, Clerics casting Spiritual Weapon want to find a deity with a high threat weapon like a scimitar, or a high multiplier weapon like a scythe, rather that a high base damage weapon like a greatsword or greataxe.

A Spiritual Kukri deals more average damage than a Spiritual Halberd.

-Hyp.

Obscure

First Post
From the SRD:

"A spiritual weapon cannot be attacked or harmed by physical attacks..."

so there isn't really a need to assign a square to the SW (unless you just want to put a token down to remind yourself that it's there) or worry about it drawing an AOO from entering someone's square or affecting a grapple. I think of it as a spell rather than a conjured object or creature (note that SW is Evocation) -- sort of like a magic missle that hovers near a target and darts in once/round to attack (with a roll).

Also from the SRD:

"A spiritual weapon’s AC against touch attacks is 12 (10 + size bonus for Tiny object)."

So that's where "Tiny" comes from...don't know if I agree with that, but it lends credence to the idea of the SW not being an actual conjured weapon (which would presumably be bigger). Of course, the SW can be zapped by a disintegrate or touched with a rod of cancellation, but there's still no real need to assign it a square in this rare circumstance.

Remove ads