D&D 5E Splatbooks in 5E, way or no way?

Jake Johnson

First Post
Okay. As a returning player/DM, I'm intrigued by the speculation and discussion around so-called splatbooks. I had to look up the term. It wasn't around when I played back in the day. For thos who don't know it, here's the Wikipedia definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splatbook

Most of the conversation here concerning splatbooks in 5E seems to be speculation as to whether or not we will see them, and if so, how many we might see. I notice a generally negative tone, as if it would be undesirable for such material to be published. I could agree with this negative thinking if we are to assume that any splatbooks would automatically become part of the core rule set. The problem seems obvious. You buy the three core rule books. You start happily running games. Your group is playing along just fine. Suddenly, a bunch of new core rules come out every five minutes, forcing you to keep up. Unless you have the time, money, and desire to keep up, you're kind of stuck dealing with a situation you don't want. Players in your group may want to use the new material. You may feel a sense of anxiety about it. It's a potentially bad scene.

Every time I see this like of thinking, I wonder if it would really be this way. Would WotC really engage in this sort of rule-update anxiety inducing behavior. Mearls and company must know that such an approach creates problems, and may even cause sufficient nerdrage to turn public opinion against the franchise. Isn't it more likely that any splatbooks we might see would be purely optional? If such is the case, what would be the problem? Let's say a new setting comes out, or a book with a some new character races and classes drops. What would be the downside?

My perspective: As long as the splatbook in question doesn't render a single word of text from the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, or Dungeon Master's Guide obsolete, I have no issue.

What do you think?

shadow

First Post
I'm sure that they'll eventually be some splatbooks. WotC is going to want to make money of 5th edition after all. I just hope that the volume of splat books doesn't approach the sheer volume of 2e and the end of the 3.5 days.

Elf Witch

First Post
I like splat books it aseems very asimple to me if you don't like them don't buy them. There is no reason why you ever have to use anything but core products.

Paraxis

Explorer
Way.

It is simple they want to sell books to as many people as possible, the number one seller is always the player's handbook because everyone who plays needs it. At a given table or gaming group there is one DM and about five players on average, so 1 in 6 people might purchase a campaign setting book, an adventure, a monster book etc..

6 in 6 people might purchase a splatbook with a new class, or a bunch of new feats or sub classes.

Do you make a product you can only potentially sell to 1/6th of your already small customer base, or do you try and include material or make books that can potentially sell to all of your customer base?

There isn't a problem with extra material as long as the DM controls his game, I know a few people who run core book only games of older editions and Pathfinder so splatbook bloat is only an issue if you let it be.

Jake Johnson

First Post
Way.

It is simple they want to sell books to as many people as possible, the number one seller is always the player's handbook because everyone who plays needs it. At a given table or gaming group there is one DM and about five players on average, so 1 in 6 people might purchase a campaign setting book, an adventure, a monster book etc..

6 in 6 people might purchase a splatbook with a new class, or a bunch of new feats or sub classes.

Do you make a product you can only potentially sell to 1/6th of your already small customer base, or do you try and include material or make books that can potentially sell to all of your customer base?

There isn't a problem with extra material as long as the DM controls his game, I know a few people who run core book only games of older editions and Pathfinder so splatbook bloat is only an issue if you let it be.

It does seem intuitive. Your point about the DM needing to control his or her game is well taken, too.

I can understand how people might become annoyed if the supplemental material were more about quantity than quality. I don't think anyone would want to keep spending on sub par books that reduce the overall quality of the playing experience. We have seen no evidence to suggest such problems with 5E, however. In fact, every review I've read states that the new Player's Handbook is of the highest production quality, contains nothing but great writing, and is dead easy to use. If the splatbooks follow that model, count me in for all of them.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

I used to abhore the idea...now I don't really care/mind. Sometimes they are entertaining to read (sometimes "Ooo....cool!" way, more often than not in a "[spews cola through his nose] WTF?...bwa-ha_ha-HA_HA!!!" way).

I have no problem at all with WotC putting out a 'splatbook' every two months (max). What I *DO* have a problem with is that 'splatbook' info getting put into adventures/setting/supplements. I don't want to EVER see an adventure that has an NPC listed as "Grenko Salmanis; Legionnaire 6th (Complete Fighters Book of Romanesque Warriors)" with the stats/etc. for that class from that book. "Grenko Salmanis; Fighter 6th (Legionnaire 6th if you are using the CFBoRW" would be totally fine.

The very moment I see this happening, I'm done with 5e buying and will just use what I have at that point.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

PS: This also goes with "Optional" rules in the core books...yes, Feats, I'm looking at you! The moment "(Optional Feats: -list of...-)" shows up in an adventure or supplement...I'm done with 5e.

PPS: Yes, I believe my 5e buying will end at the MM or DMG...whatever is last produced of the 3 core...I don't have high hopes for WotC in this regard.

PPPS: I actually like 5e (much to my surprise, really). DM'ed my first 'full' (5 hour) game Sunday. Flows more smoothly than I thought, and definitly had a 1e/BECMI feel to it, overall.

Li Shenron

Legend
I am not sure, but I think the idea that has been going around at WotC for 5e is something like "instead of publishing 20 books per years so that 5% of the gamerbase will buy them (each gamer picking some books and skipping others), let's publish 2-3 books per years of the kind that 50% of the gamers will buy them".

That means for example, be stingy with books about additional "stuff" (feats, subclasses, spells, etc.), maybe 1 per year, but make it a substantial book (>200 pages), so that everyone who think they need more character material has only 1 book to look forward, instead of 5-6 splatbooks divided by class. A lot more people presumably would buy that book.

Then the other 1-2 books per year will be thematic manuals (e.g. Psionics) or campaign settings.

Adventures are planned separately, and we already know we'll get 1 adventure path per year, 3-4 books.

I’d rather they didn’t. All splatbooks ever do is lead to rules bloat. In the short term it may spike a few extra sales, but in the long term it puts off new players.

delericho

Legend
It depends what they do with Morningstar.

If Morningstar is like the DDI, in that all the 'crunch' material from the books finds itself incorporated in the database pretty much immediately, that probably cuts off sales of splatbooks at the knees - the people who are likely to subscribe have a big overlap with those likely to buy splats, but they're much less likely to do both.

If, on the other hand, Morningstar doesn't automatically include all the crunch, or does so only after a significant delay (say 3-6 months), or if the splatbooks are very heavy in non-crunch*, then there's probably still a market for splatbooks.

* I'm not sure on this last one. My gut feeling is that most people buy splatbooks for the crunchy stuff to add to their characters, and anything non-crunchy is largely ignored. In which case, the important question is whether (and when) Morningstar includes the crunch, regardless of whether that's 10% of the book or 90%.

(Oh, yeah: FWIW, I'm quite happy for WotC to do splatbooks for 5e. I don't intend to buy them, though.)

Remove ads