• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Split Ray and Orb spells

Yig

First Post
Do you allow the Split Ray feat from Complete Arcane to work with the various "Orb of" spells ?

My DM allow it but my gut feeling tell me that it shouldn't work since the Orb is not a ray.

Looking for opinions.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Presumably orbs don't have an effect:ray entry, which seems to be the biggest indicator that the two don't actually work together.

Cheers

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Plane Sailing said:
Presumably orbs don't have an effect:ray entry, which seems to be the biggest indicator that the two don't actually work together.

I always found it amusing that the original pre-errata Split Ray feat in Tome and Blood didn't work with Rays.

-Hyp.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Hmmmm, do any serious problems crop up if the Split Ray metamagic feat is allowed to modify any range touch attack spell? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm away from my books atm. What exactly makes rays so special? Rays aren't just damage dealers IIRC.

Yig

First Post
Liquidsabre said:
Hmmmm, do any serious problems crop up if the Split Ray metamagic feat is allowed to modify any range touch attack spell? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm away from my books atm. What exactly makes rays so special? Rays aren't just damage dealers IIRC.

Well, let just say that I'm playing a level 17 warmage.

With the feats I have I can throw a few Splitted, (Sudden) Maximized, Empowered Orb per day. That's 90+7d6+1d3 per Orb. Then I add my Warmage Edge.

When I do that, the fight is over.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Liquidsabre said:

What about a Cleric who has Reach Spell and uses Split Ray on his newly range-ified Cure spells? Divine Metamagicked of course...

Yig

First Post
I don't like being right. In that case actually ;)

You can always HR it...

If not, I'll just change my feat.

Remove ads