• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Splitting the Party: Yay or nay?

Splitting the party: Yay or nay?

Triumph_Fork

First Post
In the games you've played, have you considered splitting the party as a viable option?

As a DM, I've experienced this with my players. Sometimes it can be great and they can get more done, or it can get sour and someone can be easily abandoned. I'm also writing puzzles & traps that encourage my players to split up: (Example): Hit multiple switches simultaneously in rooms on different floors to stop the room from flooding with caustic water.

As a player, do you ever consider splitting up the party or do you consider it a death sentence?

Satyrn

First Post
I find that my group tends not to split the party just because we all want to be involved all the time.

Your poll doesn't address this consideration.

I voted on the fence because of the reason listed, certain situations make for different decisions. A few that come to mind is scouting/stealth approach but some party members ( say a paladin in plate with no stealth training or dex modifier ) would most likely prevent it. Sometimes a path of exploration doesn't allow for all the party members ( a very difficult climb for a character with no athletics or str mod, or an opening that only the small characters in the party can get through.) Another situation could be something simple like one of the party's more socially inclined characters needs to gather rumors and bringing along socially inept characters would hinder them. There's tons of situations where it would make sense to not have the full party together.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Splitting the party might be a good idea in some situations.
- Gathering information, send small group to talk to each contact, meet with several at once
- trying to hold off attacking enemies while somebody performs a ritual that requires DO NOT DISTURB sign
- sneaker goes ahead of noisy heavy Tank to scout out the enemy

In other cases it is DOOM waiting to happen
- fighting overwhelming numbers
- already 3/4 surrounded
- enemy knows you are coming
- 'informant' is also an ambush, this fact advertised ahead of time

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Generally it's a bad idea. But sometimes it just makes more sense, usually in a non-dungeon, more social environment.

Draegn

Explorer
I have ten players who are constantly splitting the party, if for no other reason than, they each have separate things they want to do or try. This ranges from trying multiple solutions to a problem at once to wanting privacy and secrecy.

As a player, do you ever consider splitting up the party or do you consider it a death sentence?

Yes, absolutely. As long as you've got a decent retreat capability built in (e.g. Shadow Monk teleport + Mobile), and you have enough backup with you (like another stealthy PC) that you probably won't get insta-killed by a hidden Mind Flayer or Intellect Devourer, operating various party elements independently is a perfectly viable choice and can sometimes be safer than staying clumped together.

Not really. Anytime you split the party, you are slowing the game down for everyone else. Sometimes it makes sense, since you might want to sneak around and scout something, but the game becomes soooooo slooooooow.

Remove ads