• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[SPOILERS] Angel Episode 1/28/2004: "Damage"

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I am now 85% more manly than...

Why do I see affection from Spike to Andrew, does Spike see himself as he once was? Is that why the Andrew and Spike duel work so well?

I don't know, unless something happens soon Angel is going to be cancelled and and the Spike show will be born!

Last edited:

dravot

First Post
Nightfall said:
I still think it's pretty hypocritical as some one said. Yeah psycho slayer kills innocents and what, joins her slayer pals? Come on. I mean even FAITH got to spend some time in jail. :p Some times just doesn't make sense. That being said I felt this was still a decent episode.
You make it sound like she's gonna go out clubbing with the rest of the Slayers. I seriously doubt that that's the case here. If they can, they'll bring her around with healing magic, if not, they'll put her someplace where she can be cared for properly.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
dravot said:
You make it sound like she's gonna go out clubbing with the rest of the Slayers. I seriously doubt that that's the case here. If they can, they'll bring her around with healing magic, if not, they'll put her someplace where she can be cared for properly.
I had the same thought... She is not "getting away" with anything any more than she would be with team angel. the major differences are that a) while W&H have containment facilities there's no reason to believe they have any resources dedicated to rehabilitation, which the slayers/watchers would, b) there's always the chance the psycho slayer would get 'studied' when the big boss wasn't keeping a direct eye on her, and most importantly, c) She IS a slayer. She is their family. I was shocked that angel fought as much as he did against Andrew taking her in the first place, when it seemed like a total no brainer. This isn't even the old watcher council we're talking about, this is rebirth with Giles likely in charge. Except for some territorial flexing, what was angel's problem?

"I have twelve vampire slayers here and none of them have dated you." HEE!

myrden said:
I think that it would have been a better story if it really had been Spike torturing the girl in the past. It would have brought his past back to haunt him in the present; something Angel has been living with for many years now, while Spike pretty much as brushed off. I thought for sure that Spike's comment of "letting the past go" to Angel was going to come back at him this episode.

the problem with that plot is that it wouldn't fit in with the characters of angel and spike as long established. Spike was a killer. He killed to eat, and he enjoyed the chase, and he loved a good fight. He killed two slayers and he was proud because it meant he was amoung the biggest and baddest of vamps. But he wasn't a monster the way angel was. He never did anything like angel did to drusilla, He never came close to what was done to that girl. They made it crystal clear at the conversation at the end where he said that he had never really thought about evil, or the effect on his victims. And angel said that he thought of nothing else. Spike could be calous and cocky about death, but he didn't revel in the pain or fear of his victims. hell, angel had victims, spike had prey and losers in his fights. Spike can let go, it seems from what they've shown, because everything he did was very straightforward and impersonal. Angel can't because his evil took on a definitively personal nature and he remembers the enjoyment of things that aren't just evil, but sickening. Its harder to just say "I was a predator, I had no soul, I did what it seemed my right and my place to do" when at the time you considered yourself an artist taking pride in the destruction of minds and souls in addition to a good meal.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the same introspection, imagination and 'depth' that makes angel brood and remember and atone is what made him, as a monster, do so much more to atone for. You can't except Spike to behave the same way or judge him less moral for a different reaction when his expereince as a vampire was so different.

I anticipated but still loved it when Spike expressed admiration at andrew's 'doublecross'. I knew spike would think more about what it meant for andrew to pull it off than the 'political' implications.

ohh... what is up with vampires bleeding, being effected by injected drugs and other stuff I'd think you'd need a beating heart and working circulatory system to accomplish? ok, nitpick, but the whole drug thing distracted me mightly from the show at that point... I know spike has gotten drunk before, so there's precendent for drugs working, but it still struck a off chord for me.

Kahuna Burger

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I liked it more than the last two episodes, definitely. I still want more ensemble cast, but Andrew was fun, and watching River freak out at people with her scary powers (did I say River? I mean Dana) was cool.

Early on we did find out Andrew's name. Or did you not notice that his lunch bag had his name on it along with the Union Jack? :)

He really did get the best lines.

I only have one question from the episode, and it's been bothering me no end.

"In a mellifluous manner. Seven letters, ending in 'y.'"

??????y

Daniel

zyzzyr

First Post
Spike could not have come on the show and just been one of the ensemble. Come on, two vampires with souls -- and they hate each other? They're both dealing with it differently? *Especially* when the entire premise of the show began with "there's this vampire with a soul, see, and he feels real bad about what he's done ..."

I thought last night's episode was quite good.

I am not surprised at all that Buffy et. al. no longer trust Angel. It's not necessarily that they think he's evil, but he clearly works for an evil corporation (the "zero tolerance" policy is only about evil on personal time). They're doing some good, and less evil, but still have lots of evil clients. And Buffy doesn't know if Angel is being manipulated, or that the Sr. partners might step in and take the Slayer away. I mean, really, would *you* want Wolfram and Hart, even under new management, to get their hands on a psychotic slayer?

Spike's storyline is "set up" for the rest of the year now. He's now "thinking about the nature of evil", which means he'll probably also "think about the nature of good". Spike will finally be doing good deeds for their own sake, which is a *huge* change in the character. It also fits in well with a certain someone's plans.

So since he's set up now for the rest of the season, I expect the show will go back to ensemble pieces for the next little while.

The biggest surprise to me this season is that I think Fred interacts with Spike and Harmony better than any of the other cast members. I thought the Fred/Harmony bit in "In Harm's Way" was excellent. And clearly there's at least some sort of interesting spark between Fred and Spike.

Wesley had a bit, though, with his father. Lorne had a bit with his sleep being removed. Fred and Gunn are the two that are farthest out.

I think it's actually interesting that they avoid following the ensemble for a while. They can use this to their advantage by suddenly showing Wes & Gunn making *very* questionable decisions. Angel, having had his mind on other things, would probably be surprised as he didn't know how far his team has slid.

The biggest questions remaining to me are:

1) which one of the team will slip too far? (Personally I'd rather see Gunn go too far -- but not because of the upload, because of choice. More interesting, but probably least likely).

2) Will the Angel'd Wolfram & Hart come into conflict with the new Slayer posse and find themselves on opposite sides?

3) Why does Lindsay want to confuse the Sr. partners as to who fulfills Shansu?

LightPhoenix:

Andrew's name was mentioned at the very beginning -- when Spike came in and said "Andrew!" He also had his name written on his lunch bag (along with the British flag)

I wouldn't say that a real crazy person would have offed Spike right away -- I don't think you can expect predictability from someone who is insane. It's just as believable that she wanted the guy to suffer first, and then off him.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Pielorinho said:
I only have one question from the episode, and it's been bothering me no end.

"In a mellifluous manner. Seven letters, ending in 'y.'"

??????y

Daniel

I thought it was "In a nefarious manner" Answer: Sorcery

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
Kahuna Burger did a good job of explaining the difference between Angel and Spike. Spike likes the fight, the kill. Torture just isn't his thing (unless you consider his taunting of Angel torture). Angel, on the other hand, relished in it. Back in second season season Buffy, we saw first hand how much he liked torture when he was extracting info from Giles. It seemed fairly obvious to me the first time they showed Spike carrying the little girl that she was transferring.

As for Spike and Andrew, I agree that i think he sees more then a bit of William the Bloody in him. Andrew certainly looked a lot like him with the new hair and suit when he turned around in his chair in the conferance room. Sides, I've always enjoyed the Spike-Andrew moments.

I do, however, kinda pity any Slayer that gets Andrew as a Watcher/trainer. Though, even a reformed Faith would probably be worse. I felt it was kinda neat to find out where the rest of the Sunnydale gang was.

Overall, I liked this episode SOOOOO much better then the last two. No cringe moments (due to embarisment badness), to which the last two had several.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'll weigh in and say VERY good episode. Not the best ever, but it was very solid, and offered much to think about.

• Spike and Angel: many people have been wondering about why Angel still feels tortured and Spike's sorta "over it" with getting his soul, and this last five minutes of Angel and Spike talking really emphasize it: Angel had a LOT invested in his victims, where Spike did not. I thought this interaction was quite cool. The line that sticks with me was:
    "She's a monster now, herself."
    "Spike, she's an innocent victim."
    "So were we, once upon a time."

Anyone catch what Angel said back after that?
  • How far the group has slid. As I said once before last year, the group is going to face someone on what they THOUGHT was the same side of the Fence - I just had no idea it would be Buffy's Slayers! :eek: If Angel was pensive before, he's got to be reeling inside at the thought that Buffy no longer trusts him at all.
  • Dana's torture of Spike - I don't think it was contrived - she was living out a fantasy where she had the power, not to kill, but to make her tormentor live out the things he did to her - but in reversed roles. The drugging and "you'll never touch me again" gives us a very painful picture of drugging and abuse that is too sick to write out here. Killing him would have been FAR too quick for the months of hell still replaying itself daily in her mind.
  • Andrew made me laugh all the way through. Mainly because I was familiar with him from the Buffy episodes, but his evolution is great to see. I REALLY hope they keep him around in guest appearances, because he's got a road of salvation to walk, himself - just not as dramatic as Angel's or Spike's.

I was almost to the point of tears (of laughter, that is) looking at James Marster's face as Andrew is doing his whole Gandalf/Frodo spiel. The mix of "bloody hell" embarrassment, agitation, and still letting him finish, was priceless.
  • Gunn's progression to scuzzy lawyer is looking nastier all the time. He plays GOLF now? Gunn? The man whose best friend was 4 pasty white demon-hunters and a nasty axe? Who lived for the killing? I know he wanted to be useful, but he didn't jsut get law knowledge - he's sold his soul, and I don't necessarily mean the whole "contract" thing. I mean he's given up who he was inside for being the smoothest badassed lawyer on the west coast. Not only would his old gang no longer recognize him, neither would Gwen (electro-girl), or anyone else?

Fred I'm glad to see commented on it, but she should have said something long before now. Speaking of aloofness, It's almost as if their romantic "thing" never happened! That point has been bugging me more and more this season.

Anyway, to summarize, great episode, a lot to think about, and more to digest in waiting for CORDELIA next week!!!!

Henry

Autoexreginated
Hand of Evil said:
I thought it was "In a nefarious manner" Answer: Sorcery

No, the FIRST one, where he said "Give me another" was "In a mellifluous manner."

Mellifluous, 7 letters, ending in "Y"? How about "sweetly?"

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Henry said:
The line that sticks with me was:
"She's a monster now, herself."
"Spike, she's an innocent victim."
"So were we, once upon a time."

Anyone catch what Angel said back after that?

I think it was something about fogetting that most of the time. And I think thats something neither of them dwell on much, that to become monsters, they were first victimized themselves... They were killed, they were turned, neither of them truely chose it, though Spike was seduced somewhat.

I was almost to the point of tears (of laughter, that is) looking at James Marster's face as Andrew is doing his whole Gandalf/Frodo spiel. The mix of "bloody hell" embarrassment, agitation, and still letting him finish, was priceless.

well, you know, pushing him away and telling him to sod off would have been like kicking a puppy. Poor spike, he'd like to be a puppy kicker, but I don't think he can bring himself to... ;) and he likes the hero worship, even if he as to play up the distain.

Kahuna Burger

Remove ads