D&D 5E [SPOILERS] Enhancing Tomb of Annihilation

CapnZapp

Legend
If there is no Standard Map of Chult (because you have to roll randomly for what is in each hex / square).
There is, though. The adventure comes with a clearly established geography.

(Though I guess it's possible to be uncertain what the dominant terrain is for a couple of the hexes)

Of course nothing stops you from not just relocating points of interest on an otherwise fixed map (as the text recommends you to do in order for the party to experience your content), but there is no support for, say, rerouting rivers, and moving mountain ranges.

I'd say that would be kind of hard to randomize, at least if you want to end up with a geography that looks as realistic as the supplied one.

I honestly think it's best to drop the idea, at least for this adventure.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
With the beholder, I'm not clear on whether it attacks or not through anything other than the alien growth. It's also not mentioned as to whether or not it takes the beholder's action to use the growth or not. At CR 13, with it floating 50 feet above them, invisible, and with the PC's on a slippery floor, while being stuck to a magnet... I mean, I'm all for deadly encounters, but the PC's will be getting into the tomb at around 10th level. That's basically a guaranteed TPK.

So, does the beholder just taunt them from above while invisible and not attack at all, other than through the growth or is it attacking as well as through the growth or if it's attacking can it not use the growth at all? Who knows?

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
So, with the betting on the dinosaur races, I realised that the table only makes sense if the PC's bet once on one race. Betting multiple times on the one means the table is useless. So how would you deal with this?

fuindordm

Adventurer
With the beholder, I'm not clear on whether it attacks or not through anything other than the alien growth. It's also not mentioned as to whether or not it takes the beholder's action to use the growth or not. At CR 13, with it floating 50 feet above them, invisible, and with the PC's on a slippery floor, while being stuck to a magnet... I mean, I'm all for deadly encounters, but the PC's will be getting into the tomb at around 10th level. That's basically a guaranteed TPK.

So, does the beholder just taunt them from above while invisible and not attack at all, other than through the growth or is it attacking as well as through the growth or if it's attacking can it not use the growth at all? Who knows?

My understanding is that the beholder is an optional encounter--the PCs can fight it to steal its treasure or bypass it. If they do that level without bothering the beholder, it doesn't bother them.

fuindordm

Adventurer
Which is entirely irrelevant to the question I was asking.

Sorry for misinterpreting. I just checked the book -- I didn't realize there was alien growth in the vault too.

I would rule that the beholder can use its action to shoot a single random ray through the growth, in the interest of concealing itself a little longer.

Ben

CapnZapp

Legend
Has anyone else seen the DM Guild supplement for the Ruins of Mezro?
SPOILERS

It was slightly disappointing since I had hoped it would detail the planeshifted city and provide some real depth that added to ToA. It didn't. It was more like just another entry, almost workmanshiplike,but with more words... I almost got the feeling the Guild Adepts were holding back lest they overshadowed the main adventure.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Sorry for misinterpreting. I just checked the book -- I didn't realize there was alien growth in the vault too.

I would rule that the beholder can use its action to shoot a single random ray through the growth, in the interest of concealing itself a little longer.

Ben

The alien growth is all throughout the level. Prior to entering the chamber, eyes pop out of the growth to watch the PC's. If the growth is attacked at all, the beholder uses an eye ray through the growth. If the PC's steal even a single coin, the beholder attacks through the growth. So not even running out of the chamber helps them. They'll face constant attack through the growth until they can get somewhere where the growth isn't present.

The problem being is that nowhere is it stated what action, if any, attacking through the growth requires. So he doesn't even have to reveal himself at all. He can just attack through the growth, even when they're in the chamber, and short of knowing he's above them by some means, they won't even have any way of killing him. The entire level is a death trap without any real means of countering it short of avoiding it entirely.

pukunui

Legend
The problem being is that nowhere is it stated what action, if any, attacking through the growth requires.
I would count it as a lair action.

On a different note, has anyone else noticed that while Azaka Stormfang's guide entry says she's afraid of heights and won't willingly go anywhere where she can fall more than 60 feet, the entry for Firefinger assumes that, if she is with the party, she goes all the way to the top with them? Seems a bit odd. Like maybe they added the fear of heights thing later, or forgot about it when writing up Firefinger.

If my group picks Azaka and she takes them to Firefinger, I'd be inclined to have her wait at the bottom.

Last edited:

Remove ads