D&D 5E [SPOILERS] Enhancing Tomb of Annihilation

Renan Stigliani

First Post
I don't those are hard issues AT ALL:

1. How do they have line of sight? There are stone doors blocking sight. Also, on chapter 5 > Exploring the Tomb > Spell Restrictions (sorry, I have it on DDB so I don't have page number) it lists for Arcane Gate and for Teleport spells "Any creature that tries to enter or leave the tomb using this spell appears in area 57." - Just follow the same rule for Misty Step. Also, misty step has a target of self. Will the caster want to enter alone?
2. Polymorph is a concentration spell, they would need to cast it multiple times. If one enters alone, he still can't simply open the doors since he doesn’t have the cubes
3. Again, 1 at a time, consuming a 4th level spell slot. Only for one hour. Also, Acererak had hundreds of years to built the Tomb. I'd assume all of the tomb has protection against non-magical weapon damage. Time to craft a huge magical pickaxe! If they do so I'd want several strength checks to se how much they mine. It would attract attention from the Gargoyles and from the Yuan-Ti.
4. That would waste 1 spell slot per each person entering. To bring allies, they would have to finder upper level caster or do that during several days. The ones inside don't have water or food.
5. Acererak placed a spell on the Tomb that force all unthinking undead to serve him (that's how he controls the undead inside). If the skeletons and zombies fail a WIS Save DC 18 they turn against the PCs

Also, it's important to remember that we're talking of Acererak of the many planes, the demilich, tomb architect, trap master. He've been through smarter kids before, and have prepared accordingly

Quickleaf

Legend
I'm 2 sessions into DMing Tomb of Annihilation for my group. We're having a blast! :) I’ve embraced ToA as a "toolkit for adventure creation" rather than a "run out of the box" complete adventure. So thought I'd share my overall approach…

• I changed the Death Curse to work much slower (no upfront hp loss, -1 HD per 2 weeks), reducing the extreme time pressure so players can feel free to explore & making playing a Death Cursed PC more viable.
  • I've overhauled Acererak's motives (become Undeath itself) & gave the atropal an identity (Kyuss), and I’m incorporating that into a write-up of eastern Chult a.k.a. the Chultengar - an area conspicuously empty on the ToA map. For Acererak, I wrote him up as a Dungeon World style “front" (see below).
  • I'm incorporating several Adventurer's League adventures & Adept supplements/adventures from DM's Guild to flesh out areas glossed over in ToA (e.g. Mezro, Hisari, Valley of Dread, northern Mistcliffs). I also collected Ed Greenwood's notes on the Dawn Warrior. And one of my players is designing a water-themed dungeon for somewhere along coast/island. I also plan to flesh out the Land of Ash & Smoke a bit, as a trip by sailboat could get the party very close to Omu & circumvent a fair chunk of the adventure in the process (making them underleveled for what lies ahead).
  • Instead of XP tracking, I created a milestone leveling system wherein each site/event provides +1/4 level, +1/2 level, or +1 level. This makes fighting random encounters less appealing, and focuses players on learning story info, roleplaying, and thinking outside the box.
  • One of my PC's has the Sailor background & the PCs can acquire their own ship in ToA. So I made up sailing guidelines (linked in OP) to reflect the gulf stream swirling up around Chult's western coast, approximate speed of "period" sailing ships (DMG is a bit too conservative), basics of sailing with/against wind, and a few ocean encounters based on AD&D Jungles of Chult.
  • I started PCs at 3rd level to cut down on some of the random encounter grind & allow them to venture into jungle without grinding for XP in Port Nyanzaru just to have a prayer of surviving.
  • I created a player primer to frame the adventure & starting scene, present new options (e.g. races of Chult, backgrounds from ToA), and present various character hooks.
  • All my players chose to be native Chultans, so I was more forthcoming with info early on (e.g. grung PC knows location of Dungrunglung, lizardfolk PC who knows about Valley of Dread, tabaxi sailor PC with contacts in Port Nyanzaru & general nautical lore, Chultan human PC who knows about various tribes & Chultan history.
  • I had PCs know each other from a previous dungeon delve in which they gained a sentient amnesiac lich’s skull that provided clue about Soulmonger in Chult. This makes for a more personal hook than the one in ToA about “The Harpers received their intelligence from a lich, but they don't know much about the Soulmonger other than its name and general whereabouts.” Plus it lets me play with this lich’s identity, but it may be who you think. ;) In Session #2 I ran a mini-game where PCs recounted their dungeon delving experience into the "Tomb of Punnihilation" to Wakanga (who I RPed as a “straight man”) which was hilarious.
  • I started PCs aboard The Brazen Pegasus approaching Port Nyanzaru, rather than teleporting in. I feel teleporting in increases the "otherness" of Chult & sets up expectation for easy teleporting. I kicked things off with a pirate fight against Captain Laskilar’s Stirge to get blood pumping & highlight danger of piracy (as well as Aremag’s purpose: defend the port), and organically introduced Syndra Silvane as a fellow passenger aboard the ship.
  • I reinterpreted the Company of the Yellow Banner as being employed by Syndra Silvane, but they’d stopped replying via the sending stone she gave them. Syndra teleported them to Chult via a teleportation circle, but her attempts to use same sigil sequence failed (because circle in was since destroyed by agitated crowds fearing the evils in jungle would use it). I am modifying how the teleportation circles work for narrative effect, but also hinting that there may be other circles the PCs can uncover in ruins to allow “fast travel” later on.
  • I have Xandala as being under deep cover as Syndra’s apprentice. This allowed me to introduce her early on, show off some of her spells, and set up the PCs for her betrayal and/or manipulation later on.
  • Each merchant prince and faction was given a bit of an overhaul to make them more compelling. Links also in the OP. I devoted special attention to Wakanga, bringing him to life, giving him a water/divination oriented spell list, and having him be patron of the “water tubes” from the Tomb of Annihilation Companion.
  • And finally, I prepped a bunch of random encounters in advance, placing these onto my photoshopped map of Chult as the PCs traverse Chult. I tried to add depth to these encounters, so a roll of “Red Wizard” followed by a roll of “Yuan-ti” along River Tiryki as PCs travel toward Mezro…with roll a few days later of “Artus Cimber”… became a Red Wizard “telekineticist” and his Fanged Guard (Zhentarim mercenaries with yuan-ti purebloods hidden among them) who is convinced that the answers about the Soulmonger lie in Mezro & mastering the secrets of the Ring of Winter. Whereas the yuan-ti are interested in gaining the Ring of Winter to curry the dying Ras Nsi’s favor, hoping the Ring’s immortality will halt Ras Nsi’s Death Curse.

[SBLOCK=Acererak & Death Curse as a DW Front]
Why Chult? Acererak was drawn to Chult in his search for Kyuss – who hailed from Chult. He settled on Omu being intrigued by their ingenious engineering and devious trials. The abundance of gemstone mines – particularly diamonds – was especially attractive, and Acererak depleted many to build the Tomb of the Nine Gods.
Goal: Become Undeath itself by draining the atropal (would-be godling) Kyuss.
Grim Portent (start): The Death Curse begins, preventing resurrection & recovering from energy drain, while causing those who’ve already been resurrected to slowly warp into undead parodies of their former selves.
Grim Portent (2 months): Larger more consistent undead attacks on Malar’s Throat, Old City, and Tiryki Anchorage. Ghost ship Banshee rumored returned from hell and seen on the high seas.
Grim Portent (4 months): Idrainne Smoke attacks Port Nyanzaru (see DDEP07-01 Peril at the Port)! Taking a long rest in undead infested jungles – even lesser undead jungle – is no longer possible.
Grim Portent (6 months): Jessamine becomes a wight, doesn’t leave house, uses servants to gather information for Acererak, slowly poisons her daughter to turn her undead, may try to assassinate PCs. Jungles exude palpable miasma of death, causing difficulty of death saving throws made in jungles/Omu/Fane/Tomb to increase to 15.
Grim Portent (9 months): Rasi Nsi is buried alive by Fenthaza but rises a mummy lord, assembling an army of undead and yuan-ti. Syndra Silvane follows the ritual to turn herself into a lich (if she has it). All lesser undead territory in jungles is treated as greater undead territory.
Impending Doom (12 months): Kyuss awakens, and Acererak only manages to partially drain him, thereby allowing Acererak to inhabit any undead creature on the same plane as him (they effectively all act as his phylacteries which he can possess at will). This leaves behind a weakened Kyuss (instead of an atropal, a CR 23 Kyuss!) who immediately seeks to rebuild his power base, conquer Chult (especially Mezro), turn his subjects undead, and eventually reclaim his stolen divinity from Acererak.[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
It's all down to my team playing combat as war style. They don't want to face the ultimate force of destruction in an even ground. They want to make sure the odda are on their side.
I don't blame them. With even a glimpse of the Tomb's reputation, I would want to start planning out Operation Overlord: The Invasion of Chult, too.

You are going to have to read carefully through the Tomb's description, and ask yourself "What can I as DM use against the PCs?" When I read the adventure, every single room and hallway cried out "Gotcha!" Some places you have to handle from the far end of a 10-foot pole; others you have to hurry right in and brashly do something. The PCs will not know which is which beforehand.

To work on your questions:
1) They PCs don't have line of sight inside until they open the door. Also see the sidebar about how Acererak has messed up teleportation - because he knows it is a way to circumvent so many perils.
2) Spell slots are a finite resource. The polymorphs will run out. The Tomb is four levels deep, and requires many other spells to protect one's self (let alone one's friends).
3) There is more to be done in the Tomb than rip the front door off its hinges.
4) Not really, if they don't know the tiny cracks and vents are there. Gaseous form is not an automatic way to get through doorways sealed shut.
5) In my experience, waves of undead PC-ally minions get in the way of the heroes figuring out riddle traps &c.; the PCs cannot get into the room. You are also assuming the PCs know what is on the other side of the doors upon first arrival.

You "sound" like you are horrible-izing what should be the Ultimate Dungeon Crawl. The Tomb IS a challenge - to both players and DMs! If your PCs aren't to Omu yet, work some lore and rumors into your campaign. Give the players time to cogitate. And when they start to lay plans ... listen in! Afterwards, think about how to use the tools provided in the Tomb to challenge what they intend to do. (You did see where the Tomb has a 'maintenance staff'?) Let them / make them fight every step of the way to achieve their goal.
Don't give up before the battle even starts.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Quick question about Handout 13: Lord Brixton's Letter... it is addressed to "Rue" (who in Omu chapter, Area 9: Adventurer's Camp) is described as a "missing comrade." Yet I can't find any info on "Rue", a "missing comrade", or even the "swan horn" mentioned in the handout.

I know that Will Doyle (one of the authors) mentioned the Company of the Yellow Banner is his home 4e group, so I poised the question to him there. But posting here too. Who is "Rue"?

Melanie de Haan

First Post
Hi everyone! I've been loving Tomb of Annihilation so far, as has my party. I've been playing with six players and they're lv 3. The party exists of:
- Kobold Bard
- Half-elf Sorcerer
- Tortle Barbarian/Monk (who's almost unkillable, I have a hard time giving a challenge to this guy)
- Dragonborn Warlock
- Water-genasi Druid
- Human Wizard

As you can see, there are many spellcasters, but the druid is one of those druids that can turn into a bear and smash things repeatedly, not much spell-based. They've ventured into Chult once so far, going to Firefinger for Azaka's side-quest and going to Dungrunglung, with quite a lot of random encounters that I prepare beforehand (though randomly haha). I've offered them some side-quests in Port Nyanzaru including the one that Zindar gives you to hunt pirates. Ever since then they've been really keen on finding Jahaka Anchorage and they're nearly there by boat.

My question is: Are 6 lv 3 characters approximately strong enough for the encounter in Jahaka Anchorage without having to tweak the difficulty?

I do like challenging my players and are playing it with the Meat Grinder variant, but obviously I don't want it to be unfair. I'm aware they can plan ahead and that's also what my party likes to do, so I'm really exited to do this encounter. Their stats are rolled by rolling 4d6 and removing the lowest one, rerolling once on 1's.

Thank you in advance!! :eek:

Quickleaf

Legend
Hi everyone! I've been loving Tomb of Annihilation so far, as has my party. I've been playing with six players and they're lv 3. The party exists of:
- Kobold Bard
- Half-elf Sorcerer
- Tortle Barbarian/Monk (who's almost unkillable, I have a hard time giving a challenge to this guy)
- Dragonborn Warlock
- Water-genasi Druid
- Human Wizard

As you can see, there are many spellcasters, but the druid is one of those druids that can turn into a bear and smash things repeatedly, not much spell-based. They've ventured into Chult once so far, going to Firefinger for Azaka's side-quest and going to Dungrunglung, with quite a lot of random encounters that I prepare beforehand (though randomly haha). I've offered them some side-quests in Port Nyanzaru including the one that Zindar gives you to hunt pirates. Ever since then they've been really keen on finding Jahaka Anchorage and they're nearly there by boat.

My question is: Are 6 lv 3 characters approximately strong enough for the encounter in Jahaka Anchorage without having to tweak the difficulty?

I do like challenging my players and are playing it with the Meat Grinder variant, but obviously I don't want it to be unfair. I'm aware they can plan ahead and that's also what my party likes to do, so I'm really exited to do this encounter. Their stats are rolled by rolling 4d6 and removing the lowest one, rerolling once on 1's.

Thank you in advance!! :eek:

Welcome to ENWorld :)

Jahaka Anchorage is supposed to have only one pirate crew present (the others are patrolling nearby waters & out pirating). Each pirate crew is a well over "Deadly" challenge (using DMG definition) for your party, but within tolerance for their Adventuring Day XP. Stirge and Dragonfang look about equally challenging, with Emerald Eye just a bit easier (fewer thugs & no caster).

So it depends on your party's approach. If they arrive by land, they need to find a way past/through the Jungle Gate, but can likely subdue one pirate crew and ready themselves before the other pirate ship pulls in with reinforcements. However, if they had to face 2 pirate crews at once, or closely stacked together that would be disastrous for them. I'd emphasize the danger of facing 2 pirate crews at once.

EDIT: When I ran a sea encounter with the Stirge, I replaced the "sea" priest with a Warlock of the Great Old One (Volo's Guide to Monsters) for its dimension door spell, and had boarding party arrive via dimension door, with Captain Laskilar attempting escape with his cape of the mountebank. It worked because I didn't use the warlock (CR 6) in any combat capacity beyond casting the spell.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer

I do like challenging my players -snip-. I'm aware they can plan ahead and that's also what my party likes to do, so I'm really exited to do this encounter.
Give them a 'test run': have them encounter a pirate ship at sea. As an artillery group, they should be able to bombard the crew into submission / flight. The water genasi could swim underneath the pirates while carrying a crowbar. :devil: Go all-out on them, the pirates have a reputation to protect.

If the group does well, let them at the harbor. If they have a tough time, the Consolation Prize could be watching a burning and listing pirate vessel flee the vicinity ... into a coral reef that the pirates know the ins and outs but the PCs' captain does not, so he won't follow too closely. They might be able to watch the pirates sink in shallow water and abandon ship.

Quickleaf

Legend
My players are bound for Mezro, soon to reach it in the next 1-2 sessions. I've picked up Ruins of Mezro, and while it's a good starting point, like ToA it leaves large swathes for the DM to fill in. For example, the College of Wizards is clearly a dungeon but lacks map/area descriptions, so I'm adapting the Shifting Tower from DCC#73 Emirikol Was Framed. Another part painted in broad strokes is the appearance of Ras T'fima as a random encounter...

Does anyone have thoughts about using Ras T'fima in a more prominent way? How would you RP him? How would he interact with Artus (who may be with the PCs)? What stats would you give him?

In Ruins of Mezro [MENTION=6682161]Will Doyle[/MENTION], @Ruty Rutenberg, and [MENTION=7434]James[/MENTION] Introcaso write Ras T'fima as a death knight who is sworn to redeem himself to Ubtao by protect the holy city from defilers. He also apparently commands ghouls that were once part of Ras Nsi's army.

The character of Ras T'fima is from Ring of Winter and he seems quite different from this "death knight" version. In Ring of Winter he is a portly disgraced bara mage who Ubtao gifted with weather control powers. However, he lost Ubtao's favor (and therefor his bara powers). To keep his political station as a bara he relied on gem magic to prolong his life & the Ring of Winter which allowed him to simulate his old weather control powers. He did this not out of lust for power but because he championed the cause of "rural" Mezroans outside the city walls who were magically cut off from city’s resources/protection. Once he gets the magical wall to come down for equality reasons, he fights vigorously against invading batiri goblins to defend Mezro and uses "gem magic" for both casting lightning bolts and healing wounded.

Ras T'fima lacks the key characteristics of a death knight – he isn't chaotic evil (maybe more Lawful Neutral?), nor is he martially inclined (he's alternately called "mage" and "sorcerer"), and he never had any dealings with the undead (that was always Ras Nsi's thing). Which makes Will, Ruty, and James' choice to make him a death knight perplexing. Perhaps they choose a death knight as it draws on paladin spells which can be both offensive and curative, and barae are sometimes dubbed "super-paladins"?

I'm contemplating ways to incorporate Ras T'fima that feel more true to his multi-dimensional character from Ring of Winter...

Mezro has vanished from Chult. Ras T'fima would know this. There's no reason for him to be protecting false ruins. So maybe he is protecting secret knowledge about gateways to the true Mezro?

Ras T'fima crusaded for Mezro to be inclusive, not segregated. Would he view the demiplanar "banishing" done to save Mezro as also falling back into the old way of "segregated" thinking? That King Osaw is abandoning the rest of Chult when it needs them most? Yet he feels duty-bound to maintain his vigil even as he grows bitter about it?

Last edited:

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION], I hope when you have completed your prep that you will put all this in a pdf and put it up on DMsGuild or something like it to share with others. I've found it very helpful myself.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION], I hope when you have completed your prep that you will put all this in a pdf and put it up on DMsGuild or something like it to share with others. I've found it very helpful myself.

That’s great! It’s why we share things on ENWorld ☺️

Some of my stuff is just a slight spin on what’s already there, giving myself a clearer conception of how to run places/NPCs in ToA. But everyone has their own way of DMing & there’s already a really good companion to ToA on DMs Guild.

What I’m hoping to put together on DMs Guild (and have a big document I’m working on & artists I’m talking with) is a bunch of playtested adventure material which expands on the story/mythos of Chult and Acererak, specifically opening up the eastern jungles known as the Chultengar. Hopefully by the time I’ve playtested and put it all in layout it’ll still be of use to others.

Remove ads