D&D 5E [SPOILERS] Princes of the Apocalypse encounters and magic items

Zelc

First Post
Haven't looked too deeply at the main campaign yet, but I have two questions about the low-level stuff.

First, Oreioth, who players might stumble across at level 1, is a level 6 Wizard. Even assuming his 3rd level spells slots are used up, a level 2 Magic Missiles deals 12 damage. Oreioth also has plenty of hp and heals when he downs players. I know he's insane, but how are the players supposed to beat him at level 1?

Second, it seems like gold and magic items are plentiful. Players end up with two rare magic items by the end of the intro adventure. Can I safely reduce gold and magic item rewards without throwing off encounter balance later in the campaign?

Rhenny

Adventurer
They don't have to defeat him at level 1. They can always just scope him out, retreat and warn the locals, then come back when they're stronger.
Yes. This is a tactic you should probably remind players about. Since the adventure is not linear and players have choice there are many times when they may run into unbalanced encounters. For, example, they may clear a above ground haunt of a cult at 4th or 5th level; if they decide to go deeper into the underground temple, they will face encounters for 7th, 8th, 9th level parties (depending on the temple). They will have to measure the enemies strength and react accordingly.

Mercule

Adventurer
They don't have to defeat him at level 1. They can always just scope him out, retreat and warn the locals, then come back when they're stronger.
And, this is where the insanity bit comes in. Left to himself, he pretty much just rubs his hands diabolically and makes a few more skeletons.

Reynard

Legend
Plus, a TPK that early in the adventure just underscores how high the stakes are for the NEXT group of heroes who stumble into the Valley. There's nothing quite like having to fight the shambling corpse of your previous character!

Zelc

First Post
I'm a bit worried about Oreioth because the encounters leading up to him seem pretty easy. Once the players get to Oreioth, one of them will probably hit the ground every turn. I don't think there's time to assess the danger of the fight before players go down.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'm a bit worried about Oreioth because the encounters leading up to him seem pretty easy. Once the players get to Oreioth, one of them will probably hit the ground every turn. I don't think there's time to assess the danger of the fight before players go down.

If you're the DM and you're worried that your players could easily reach Oreioth still at Level 1... then just put in a few things so that the players get to Level 2 before they reach him. Either throw in another easy encounter or two, or give them some quest XP for doing something on the way to reaching him. I mean, each player only has to earn 200 XP to get to Level 2... so if the encounters already in the module aren't enough, just add in a thing or two so it happens. Your party of Level 2 characters should have an easier time of it if they decide to take him on.

wedgeski

Adventurer
If you're the DM and you're worried that your players could easily reach Oreioth still at Level 1... then just put in a few things so that the players get to Level 2 before they reach him. Either throw in another easy encounter or two, or give them some quest XP for doing something on the way to reaching him. I mean, each player only has to earn 200 XP to get to Level 2... so if the encounters already in the module aren't enough, just add in a thing or two so it happens. Your party of Level 2 characters should have an easier time of it if they decide to take him on.
And the adventure provides a ton of optional content to do just that.

Remove ads