• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[SPOILERS] Some thoughts on the Author Only mods from Winter Fantasy

Scorpienne

First Post
Okay. There are *some* spoilers here, but they're relatively minor. I'm not telling you what the mods were about, but some people don't want ANY information so I wanted to make sure people could avoid this if they want to. TLDR - they're very cool and you should play them.

Spoiler space.

No seriously.

Go back.

Author only spoilers.

Do not continue.

Achtung!

Deadpool wuz here.

Hey go look over there.

Really.

Seriously.

SPOILERS.

More spoilers.

Spoilers.

Cuidado!

Spoilers.

Spoilers.

Donde esta su pantalones?

Spoilers.

Spoilers.

Spoilers.

I'm only going to give you some spoilers because part of the wonder of these mods is that they are a great unknown. I'm not going to take that away from you. Trust me. You'll thank me for it later. I played AOs from Greg Marks (Taming of Elisande), Alan Patrick (Window to the Past), and Travis Woodall (Space Between the Spaces). They are all wonderful. Don't ask me which one of them I love best.

Greg's was great for it's old-school feel and many, many, many branching plotlines. In four hours, we explored maybe a quarter of what he had to show us. If I ever get the great privilege of playing it again, I bet I'll see some completely different things. And in the middle of all this crisis, you're fighting a metabattle for the soul of someone who's going to be Important in Faerun. In a sense that's the real adventure.

Alan's had absolutely incredible atmosphere. It was the D&D equivalent of the creepy terrifying atmosphere of the first Alien movie when they know something else is running around the Nostromo (their ship) and they don't know what it is and they're trapped in there with it. I'm a horror junkie and I love stories with terrible consequences and Alan was right there in my sweet spot for these things. Plus, the ramifications for what happens in his AO are tremendous. I can't wait - and I dread - what comes next in that storyline.

Travis' mod goes to a place where we (as an organized play community) haven't ever been. So you get to explore this cool new place with a great mission, and you get to interact with some of the best NPCs I've seen in D&DAL. (Shout out to Hum the mindflayer, he'd fit in well in this mod.) Travis is also a #@$&!ing hilarious DM, and his voices and jokes just make the experience. (Buy him a beer while you're playing. Trust me on this one.) In the end, you make the biggest possible difference to someone that you have known for a long time.

The stories were great. You get into kind of a rhythm with DDAL mods where you know about how many fights there have to be to get the XP you need. No such thing here. Since ONLY the author is running them, he (sadly, no ladies writing AOs yet) can adjust and adapt on the fly because he knows the module and it's backstory and can tell the story in multiple ways.

The difficulty was appropriate. As in "scary, but not a TPK". Definitely challenging. You know why? Because the DM in question is an adroit enough DM and designer to understand that our party was a bunch of highly technically proficient 13th-16th level characters played by people who'd been in organized play for a decade, and playing D&D for multiple decades. There are few modules that stand up to Valor Bard (archer) 16, Light cleric (pew pew) 16, lore bard (ALL the spells) 13, dragon sorcerer (ka-ZAP!) 13, lore bard (also ALL the spells) 14, and cleric (why yes I'm the tank), 14 and so on. We're tough to challenge. But, these guys knew how to challenge us in fun ways. The awesome thing is, if we'd been playing 3rd level characters, it would have been the same - really tough, and really fun. This was not these guys first rodeo - they know what they're doing. So in that sense it was like the difficulty in a well run game (organized play or home game) from any other edition - the difficulty was perfect.

There were cool items and story rewards. I have a character who has a disfiguring disease - and is now a Zor in Mulmaster living high on Thayan largess and worried about his disease, his future, and his new allies. I have a character with a really amazing sentient shield that's going to call her out and twist away from her (decreasing her armor class btw) if she ever backs down from a fight. I have a character that is now professional colleagues with an awakened butterfly who is going to be taking bard levels if Madame Flutterbee can avoid being hugged to death by the creepiest little girl ever known.

Modules ran the full 4 hours. These guys have great stories to tell and I bet they could run them for eight hours if they chose.

They are, hands down, some of the best organized play modules I've ever played. Certainly the best in D&DAL. There are a few old Living Force and Living Death and Witchhunter modules that are in that league, but they're very few and far between.

Paige

Cascade

First Post
Yep - Played in Alan's as well and it was incredible and very creepy / gooey. We wanted to explore more.

Halruaa Rising and One Night in Luskan were equally we done. They left you wanting to play the next adventure.

...the best part for our weekend - was after banishing the leader of a thug mob, ..."can I get advantage on my intimidate check?"

The story rewards were neat - my cleric of Bane picked up a childhood convert who acts as a retainer. My rogue member of the Emerald Enclave left his faction "to pursue other interests" with new found property in Mulmaster and Thay.

Hopefully I can hook up to play the others.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
THe Zor comment reminds me of a Wizard who was playing late last year in the Mulmaster set games. He refused to join the Cloaks (and managed to convince one he was a member). Then in one hilarious piece at a Dinner party he referred to himself as a Zor (rolled peak for his persuasion) and from that point on .. the title stuck. It was quite hilarious in game after game people were believing he was a Zor.

RulesJD

First Post
Without a doubt, the DDAOs were the best part of WF. If WotC is looking for how to draw people to conventions, DDAOs are it.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
I think in a way peoples perception of it will also come down to how much of the scenario do they like, or how much did they like it because X or Y ran it.

As a person who is likely to have to run it (when it becomes eventually available to be run) Ive got nothing to compare it to yet because its so early in the cycle (so yeah I would of liked more spoilers)

RCanine

First Post
It sounds like these adventures were super fun.

There were cool items and story rewards.

I'm really curious how these rewards are going to play out. Given that, as a DM, I can't download the module and know exactly what you have, you could literally say they gave you anything and we wouldn't really be able to deny it; even someone who's played the adventure just may not have found what you found.

That's probably fine, since no one really plays that close of attention to other players' stuff, but it does seem a bit weird.

Also, out of curiosity, there were hundreds of gamers at Winter Fantasy, right? How did you manage to play all four AOAs? Did you sign up early? Get lucky? Pay extra? Have an in? My biggest concern with the program is that there's no way it can scale to demand; if a con is paying a couple grand to fly, feed and house an admin, they're going to have to charge, like, $100/seat to have it make sense logistically.

I mean, if AOAs attract additional players, that's just going to be additional players that get waitlisted for a slot, right? Or is there something I'm missing about it?

rooneg

Adventurer
FWIW, I played the Tier 2 version of Alan's module (Window to the Past) at TotalCon this weekend and it was a blast at that level as well. At one point my 5th level Vengeance Paladin had a maximum hit points of 5 after 1 round of combat. That was scary! I hadn't thought of the Alien/Nostromo parallel, but that's totally true now that I think about it.

The rewards are good. There were some nice magic items, but nothing over the top, plus some interesting story based rewards I'm looking forward to referencing (both in the "if I ever come back to Mullmaster" sense and in the "well, that's now a permanent part of my character" going forward sense). Honestly though, you're not playing these modules for the rewards, you're playing them because they're cool adventures being run by excellent DMs who really know what they're doing.

Anyway, highly recommended in the future if you have the opportunity. I'm not sure I agree that these are things that should exist in organized play, but given that they do you should totally seek them out, not because there are unbalanced rewards you can't get elsewhere or something like that, but because they're super fun to play in. Also, Alan's module has some elements that only work because he's running it over and over. It fundamentally wouldn't be the same if it was just being run by random people week to week.

Scorpienne

First Post
I think in a way peoples perception of it will also come down to how much of the scenario do they like, or how much did they like it because X or Y ran it.

Entirely 100% true. A great GM can make a stinker of a mod great! A lousy GM can make a beautiful gem of a mod painful.

I'm really curious how these rewards are going to play out. Given that, as a DM, I can't download the module and know exactly what you have, you could literally say they gave you anything and we wouldn't really be able to deny it; even someone who's played the adventure just may not have found what you found.

Entirely true! You can look at a player's logs, but the determined cheater-pants will have that already filled out. Every *item* I saw was certed, so you could ask to look at certs, but the story awards were not certed. I think, at some point, you just have to trust your players. If someone has something that is game-breakingly bad that really obviates or impinges on the fun of the *other* players at the table, you just have to exert your GM prerogative and either say "that's not going to fly at this table because it's ruining other people's fun" or "I'm sorry, I will not GM for you. Please leave."

Also, out of curiosity, there were hundreds of gamers at Winter Fantasy, right? How did you manage to play all four AOAs? Did
you sign up early? Get lucky? Pay extra? Have an in? My biggest concern with the program is that there's no way it can scale to demand; if a con is paying a couple grand to fly, feed and house an admin, they're going to have to charge, like, $100/seat to have it make sense logistically. I mean, if AOAs attract additional players, that's just going to be additional players that get waitlisted for a slot, right? Or is there something I'm missing about it?

There were hundreds of gamers at Winter Fantasy. I played *only* three of the six OAs. I did sign up early - they sold out quick. Me and my crew bought 2 sets of $120 all-access passes to get the extra AOs. I'm a convention organizer and I think I can get 4 admins out to Atlanta for about $40-$45 per player per slot*. So yeah, it's expensive.

Honestly though, you're not playing these modules for the rewards, you're playing them because they're cool adventures being run by excellent DMs who really know what they're doing.

^ This. Preach it brother.

Paige

* $40 slot for 2 day AO mini convention

4 slots 2 Sat, 2 Sun
4 tables per slot x 4 slots x 6 players per table = $3840.
2 hotel rooms 2 nights at $100 per room = $400
4 people $50 per diem for 2 days = $400
Printing $100
Conference room rental $400/day x 2 days = $800
Uber from Airport to hotel and back $25 pp each way x 2 x 4 = $200
$1940 left for plane tickets.
Delta Airlines, weekend of Oct 14-16 (ticket prices highly speculative as that's a date I picked more-or-less haphazardly)
SEA-ATL for Travis Woodall = $450
SEA-ATL for Bill Benham = $450
DEN-ATL for Robert Adducci = $450
LAN-ATL for Alan Patrick = $650
MKE-ATL for Greg Marks = $300

Sum profit? -$60. So maybe $45 per slot?

http://dndadventurersleague.org/inviting-admins-and-rcs/

RCanine

First Post
Sum profit? -$60. So maybe $45 per slot?

Wow! That's only $5 less that four days of gaming at our west-coast megacon. I heard you guys did things differently on the east coast, but that on top of an an entry fee is a bit of sticker shock. But given that only 1% of players could actually fit at those tables, I guess pricing for the 1% is ok.

RCanine

First Post
I realized after posting this that "the 1%" has a negative connotation around the Internet right now, so to clarify: I would totally try and be in that 1%.

Author-run adventures were super-popular when we did them in LA (one player even asked me to sign his copy of the mod 0.o). While I think the author only part is a bit antithetical to the spirit of AL as I see it, the author-run stuff is almost always fantastic.

Remove ads