• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[SPOILERS] THE Return of the King Thread

ReignofGeekaos

First Post
Vocenoctum said:
I think there's a bit of that, but also of the "adventurer" stigma. People thought Bilbo was odd for going on his little trip, and the same applies to the hobbits that skipped out for 3-4 months. .

It was more along the lines of thirteen months.

Saw the movie the 20th (and just got back from travelling and got rhe chance to post). Great movie. I need to see it again -- I spent too much of the first viewing comparing it to the books.

I did miss a lot of the scenes that were left out -- particularly the Houses of Healing and Mouth of Sauron scenes -- but I fully expect to see them in the EE DVD. There are things I might have done differently were I editting, but overall a superb work, and I think the trology as a whole is an amazing achievement, capturing well the spirit of Tolkien is not the precise letter of his writings.

I'm just sad there's no fourth installment to look forward to next year. I guess we can hope that PJ gets to to "The Hobbit", but it may be a couple years even so.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Olgar Shiverstone said:
I guess we can hope that PJ gets to to "The Hobbit", but it may be a couple years even so.
Yeah. I hope he gets to it quickly though, because Ian McKellan isn't exactly a spring chicken. Imagine The Hobbit now with a different actor playing Gandalf.

Buttercup said:
Yeah. I hope he gets to it quickly though, because Ian McKellan isn't exactly a spring chicken.
Sir Ian McKellen is 64 and quite healthy. He is 17 years younger than Christopher Lee. I'm confident that we will see him on stage and on the silver screen for at least a decade.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Buttercup said:
Huh. He looks much older. I guess he has been in the sun too much over the years. Still, I'm happy to hear he's only 64.

He looks much older in the movie, but I just saw an interview with him and he looked like late fifties to me. I was thinking, Wow they did a good job with makeup.

Dispater

Explorer
Tallarn said:
Something that I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned is the sequence with the lighting of the beacons...incredible stunning shots as one beacon after another is lit, the torches shining as the hope of Men crosses the mountains and comes to Rohan. Amazing stuff.

But the charge of the Riders remains the greatest moment. Utterly heartbreaking.

I also thought the beacons were brilliantly captivated. There were these shots the second units must have spent ages on, getting the right angle, finding the perfect mountains, finding the right light... and only get it into the film for about 5 secs... I could have watched them for hours...

And the charge of the Rohirim... DEATH! Heh. Wouldn't everybody who sat in the cinema that moment just liked to exchange their seats with a Rohan steed and just charge down into the screen at the army of orcs...?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Saw it.

Loved it.

Much respect to Peter Jackson.

I'm looking forward to re-reading the books with a new visualisation of the scenary and probably the characters!

Cheers

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
(!)

Yes, I'm late. I just saw ROTK on Tuesday, and with this film being a week behind is like being out of the Stone Age. Yet, there it is.

ROTK is overwhelming. Emotionally overwhelming. It is so overwhelming that I probably will only watch it once (maybe twice) not including the DVD releases.
It does not have the single grand knock out punch of the film Of Mice and Men, but it has a long series of lesser punches that add up. Jackson's work is staggering, his psychology devastating, his detail and characters and images colossal. It is whelming. It is too much. It is much greater than the effect in FOTR or TTT.
FOTR was a very, very hard hitting film. TTT was mindnumbing in it's emotional intensity. But ROTK is just simply overwhelming.
A certain Lady sitting next to me collapsed into tears over and over during the film, using napkins to wipe at her eyes, and she left the theater crying. (The first, and probably the last, time I will ever see that happen.) Two people sitting on my other side left their sweaters (expensive sweaters, I would note) in the theater, forgetting them in the emotional tumult of the film.

I just wish they had shown Frodo arriving at Valinor or the Lonely Isle. That would have been very nice.

For comparison, think of the Millennium 2000 roller coaster at Cedar Point (if you've never been on it, think of the music that acconpanies the Entish assault on Isengard, and the flooding of Isengard, from the TTT. That describes the ride.)
Or think of the Grand Canyon, upon first seeing it, in person, while standing on the edge of the dropoff with no rail. (assuming you have height phobia or large open space phobia)
Or think of your first trip in a jet aircraft as a child (including the homesickness.)
Think of skydiving, or mountain climbing, or hand-gliding, or skiing down the Expert Slope for the first time.
Think of a brief trip to the Emergency Room.
Think of your very first Christmas you can remember.
Think of being in love.
Think of listening to Wagner, at his most uproarious, with the volume turned way up, for hours.
Think of the film Of Mice and Men, or The Red Pony.
Think of being on-stage in a large theatrical production.

That's the level of emotion I'm talking about here. ROTK is just overwhelming.

Did I mention it was good? It was that, too. It was a 10.

Edena_of_Neith

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads