• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spontaneous Curing and Metamagic.

awayfarer

First Post
Can a cleric who uses a spell slot to cast a "Cure" spell, apply a metamagic feat to that spell and lose a higher slot?

For example, if a cleric decides to lose a 6th level spell slot, can they cast an empowered (+2 spell level) Cure Critical Wounds that heals 6d8+X HP? I couldn't find anything that said yay or nay in the SRD or the WoTC faq but it seems reasonable to me. Is there anything I'm missing?

drdevoid

Explorer
You can but it will take a full round. Usually you are better off preparing extra heal spells rather than trying empowered CCWs on the fly.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Yes, you can apply metamagic to spontaneous spells, though it will cause the casting to take extra time. Look in the Feats chapter, under the general heading of Metamagic Feats, and you'll see this:

Spontaneous Casting and Metamagic Feats: A cleric spontaneously casting a cure or inflict spell can cast a metamagic version of it instead. Extra time is also required in this case. Casting a 1-action metamagic spell spontaneously is a full-round action, and a spell with a longer casting time takes an extra full-round action to cast.

zypherillius

First Post
metamagic rods

so if a cleric can apply metamagic feats like empower and the such, if a party happens to have two lesser empowered metamagic rods, could the cleric use one 3/day for some 3rd or lower level healing spells, just as in the metamagic feat?

Dross

Explorer
zypherillius said:
so if a cleric can apply metamagic feats like empower and the such, if a party happens to have two lesser empowered metamagic rods, could the cleric use one 3/day for some 3rd or lower level healing spells, just as in the metamagic feat?

I can't see why not. I haven't seen anything that explicitly prevents a cleric from doing so barring DM rule 0. The full round action casting time still occurs though.

Hedgemage

First Post
If a cleric does want to metamagic feats on the fly, Divine Metamagic can do it without burning higher level slots (burn turn undead attempts instead).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads