• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spontaneous Divine Caster?

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Has anyone found a base class that spontaneously casts divine spells (one class for cleric spells, another for druid spells) that they actually like??

I am disatisfied with both the Favored Soul and the Spirit Shaman found in the Complete Divine. Anyone got anything else? I've been working on my own variants and re-worked the CD ones but haven't come across a version I really like.

So what spontaneous divine caster base classes do other folk like to use?

RisnDevil

First Post
Personally, my only complaint with the Favored Soul is the fact that it at no time gets turn undead. Personally, I just asked my DM if I could give up Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization for Turn/Rebuke Undead and either Empower Turning or Extra Turning. I personally liked that change because I had a concept for a completely spontaneous necromancer. One other change that makes all spontaneous casters better is giving them 0 spells of the new level earlier (0 2nd level spells at level 3). This allows them to get any bonus spells from their ability modifier with no spells known of that level, so it can be used for a lower level spell, or a metamaic modified spell. The biggest advantage about this change though is that it allows for the spontaneous casters to qualify for prestige classes at the same time as their non spontaneous counterparts. Try those changes before trying to reinvent the wheel.

Have you tried the Mystic from the Dragonlance CS? THAT is what I use for a spontaneous Divine Caster IMC. Favored Soul is just...wrong IMO, and Spirit Shaman I don't mind that much. The Mystic is just great, though.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Check out the Evangelist from Dragon. Not sure which issue, 290 or so. Gets spells like a sorceror (except from the cleric list). Gets an extra domain every 5 levels. In return for this, he loses heavy armor proficiency and turn undead. I like it very much. 6 domains by 20th level is nothing to laugh at.

RisnDevil

First Post
The Evangelist....with the extra domains, do you automatically get those as spells known? Or do you only get the domain ability benefit? All of my mags are packed up right now, or I would look it up but more information would be nice.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
You get the spells known added to your list, but no extra spells per day. Not like you need them with the sorceror's spells per day chart, anyway. You also get the domain powers, which is insane with the right domain choices.

Remove ads