• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spot and Listen checks

Dristram

First Post
Another question, since I don't have my books with me at work...and I'm bored and thinking about D&D :)

In regards to Listen and Spot checks to avoid being surprised, how are these checks different?

A) Party walking down a road with an ambush set up ahead.
B) Party walking down a road keeping an eye out for an ambush, of which there is one set up ahead.

It seems to me that there should be either a check penalty to A or a bonus to B. Is there anything in the books about this?

tanx,

IceBear

Explorer
Give a circumstance bonus to the PCs in the second case as they are specifically looking for ambushes.

In the first case I'd leave everything alone as the skills are being used at "default" level. If the PCs were being particularly unobservent, then maybe a penaly, but if they are just walking normally, then I'd leave the skills as normal.

IceBear

shilsen

Adventurer
Dristram said:
Is there anything in the books about this?

Check the DMG, pg.90, under "Modifying the Roll or the DC" and "The DM's Best Friend". A +2/-2 modifier works well, as described.

Shin Okada

Explorer
My Call

This seems to be a very basic situation. Plain Spot vs Hide opposed check.

B) Party walking down a road keeping an eye out for an ambush, of which there is one set up ahead.

As shilsen says, +2 circumstance bonus to PC's Spot check can be reasonable.

*I have edited this post as I have wrongly wrote "Listen check" for case B.

Last edited:

Drawmack

First Post
Dristram said:
Best Spot vs. Worst Hide

Best Search vs. Worst Hide

If the party is activly keeping an eye out then they are searching not spoting. Spotting is casually noticing something, like a $20 laying in a parking lot. Where as search is activly looking for something, like your favorite candy bar in the candy isle.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Re: Re: Spot and Listen checks

Drawmack said:

Best Search vs. Worst Hide

If the party is activly keeping an eye out then they are searching not spoting. Spotting is casually noticing something, like a $20 laying in a parking lot. Where as search is activly looking for something, like your favorite candy bar in the candy isle.

Search is to find "details not readily apparent". And the one must be within 10 feet of the object, and must declare certain area (usually 5 ft. by 5 ft.).

Walking down a street, expecting to have some ambush, is still a situation for Spot check IMO.

On the other hands, if a boy is playing hide and seek game, he may use Search skill to determine if someone is hiding in a certain part of a bush.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I'd probably consider the PCs Taking 10 on Spot and Listen if they aren't looking for anything; if they are, then I'd have them roll themselves.

Shin Okada

Explorer
LostSoul said:
I'd probably consider the PCs Taking 10 on Spot and Listen if they aren't looking for anything; if they are, then I'd have them roll themselves.

I'd rather let ambushers take 10 for their hide checks. It is much better to let players roll dice.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Shin Okada said:
I'd rather let ambushers take 10 for their hide checks. It is much better to let players roll dice.

Very true, very true. Players love to roll dice. That's why I usually let them roll all their skill checks - Spot, Listen, whatever. But Take 10 is such a great mechanic that I don't want to let it go to waste!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads